MX4700 loss of power

ldozier

Equipment
Kubota 2013 MX 4700
Apr 11, 2018
Dolores
My 2013 MX 4700 with 1140 hours is losing power, emitting white smoke, and the engine clatters under load. I changed the fuel filter and air filter and that cured it for several hours of operation. The problem returned so I drainedthe fuel tank and blew out the fuel ines. Problem solved for a few hours but it has the same problem again. Any advice on what I should try next?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Your description sounds like a growth of algae in your fuel system. Probably need to be sure you have clean fuel from a busy truck stop to be sure fuel is not stale. Then add a biocide for diesel, which you can get at auto supply stores. You'll probably have to change fuel filters a couple of times to help rid the scum.

ldozier

Equipment
Kubota 2013 MX 4700
Apr 11, 2018
Dolores
I ordered a new fuel filter. Drained the tank and poured about a quart of kerosene thru then about a gallon of fresh fuel from a busy station. I installed the new filter with new o-rings. It fired right up and sounds good at low idle but it is worse than ever at 1500 rpm. No power, smokes a greyish white, and the engine clatters. I don't quite know what to check now.. Maybe I flushed something into the injectors. In the past just cleaning the fuel filter would clear things up for a few hours.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The whitish smoke is bothersome. Pull your radiator cap when the engine is cold. Start the engine. Watch for air bubbles in the coolant. You COULD have head gasket problems.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I know this is not mentioned very often but white smoke on my diesel truck has been a bad injector 3 different times. Poor running with no power.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The kerosene has likely damaged the pump and possibly injectors. Might not show it now, but it probably will eventually. Kerosene ain't got any lubricant properties; real similar to gasoline or water, difference being that it will actually burn in the engine (although at a different rate than diesel, gas).

ldozier

Equipment
Kubota 2013 MX 4700
Apr 11, 2018
Dolores
Sorry to be so slow reporting back. My MX 4700 is running great. I don't know if I had some residual bad fuel in the lines or just took a while to clear all the air in the system. Over the course of a few hours I let it idle at low speeds then at higher rpms. I used it lightly. occasionally opened the air bleed valve for 30 seconds or so and it started running fine. I have about 30 hrs of fairly heavy use moving dirt and spreading gravel and it is doing great. I am sure it was bad fuel that started the problem. Thanks for all the good advice from orange talk.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Good to hear. It sounded to me like a sticky or dirty injector. I'd suggest like others running an algaecide and then some fuel system treatment.
My 2009 B3200 doesn't have any exhaust after treatment so I also add an ounce of marine two stroke oil to my fuel. Helps lubricate the injectors what the added sulphur used to do that is now gone. I use the two stroke oil in my Common rail Dodge diesel when towing or working it hard. It's still a 5.9 with no Smog crap on it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Good to hear. It sounded to me like a sticky or dirty injector. I'd suggest like others running an algaecide and then some fuel system treatment.
My 2009 B3200 doesn't have any exhaust after treatment so I also add an ounce of marine two stroke oil to my fuel. Helps lubricate the injectors what the added sulphur used to do that is now gone. I use the two stroke oil in my Common rail Dodge diesel when towing or working it hard. It's still a 5.9 with no Smog crap on it.
I believe that’s a misinformed idea ...that 2-stroke oil is good for diesels. And, it is also regulated to be low-sulfur so it does not “replace” sulfur as in the old fuel specs. Don’t remember where the article was published, but 2-stoke oil was debunked as a diesel fuel additive.