Please Help!! L2850 Fuel Problem

tpwhome

Equipment
L2850
Jan 18, 2014
Dallas
Tractor started acting like it was running out of fuel. Emptied fuel, blew out lines, replaced fuel filter. Tractor ran for about 8 hrs without problems then began same problem like it was running out of fuel. It wouldn't completely stall but would idle down to a near stall, ten recover somewhat but seems to be running on 2-3 cylinders. 1900 hours on the tractor. Fuel Lines appear to be sound and fuel bowl is full. Not sure where to go from here. I've never service injectors but suspect that may be needed. ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED!
Thom

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You may have an algae buildup at the output of your tank. If you have a priming pump feeding your main fuel pump that could be a culprit. If there's a vent on your filler cap it could be plugged.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would start with treating fuel with biocide / algaecide.

One common issue is some debri getting caught in the inlet to the fuel filter.

A failing lift pump can also cause issues, but it usually only presents on a low tank.

tpwhome

Equipment
L2850
Jan 18, 2014
Dallas
When I changed the fuel I took the fuel filter assembly off and blew air through it. That's what is puzzling. The fuel seems to be flowing all the way through to the injector body. One thing I haven't tried to clean is the vent line that goes from the fuel filter assembly. Would that cause the problem I'm having?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If there is a blockage where fuel exits the tank blowing air back into the fuel line will move the block away from the tank output. Fuel flowing can move the block back to the tank outflow.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When I changed the fuel I took the fuel filter assembly off and blew air through it. That's what is puzzling. The fuel seems to be flowing all the way through to the injector body. One thing I haven't tried to clean is the vent line that goes from the fuel filter assembly. Would that cause the problem I'm having?
No, if that line wasn't good, there would be an air pocket in the filter housing.

If your getting good fuel in and out of the pump, I would then move on to check the lift pump.
Look for wet spots on the fuel lines too as air into the injection pump will cause issues.

tpwhome

Equipment
L2850
Jan 18, 2014
Dallas
Info update. So I talked to the tech at the local Kubota dealer and he told me how to test the fuel pump. it did not appear to be providing a continuous flow so I order a new pump and changed it. Same result. tractor ran perfectly for about thirty minutes then began a slight miss which within a few minutes got progressively worse to where it was stalling out without clutching to relieve it. So the next thing he recommended was to check the injectors. SO, I pulled them and dropped them off today to have them tested. If they are good, I'm not sure what to check next. Injector pump?? so it has done the same thing several times now. Runs for 30-40 minutes then begins to die out. This time I let it set for a few hours and it will start and run perfectly.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
So does this mean you have the problem solved? "This time I let it set for a few hours and it will start and run perfectly."