1850 steering problem

Imkabota

Oct 21, 2019
Butler pa
I own a 2005 Kubota BX 1850 with 950 hrs. Over last year or so it seems that I need to turn steering wheel more to get the wheels to respond. I noticed today while sitting still while running, that if I turn the steering wheel slow in one direction it might turn about a full turn before wheels move. Also in the other direction also. If I turn steering wheel fast the wheels move quicker. I have always kept filters etc. Changed. Could the cylinder be leaking internally? I don't know if it normal, but after mowing 4 acres I felt the cylinder and it was fairly warm to the touch. Other than a leaking cylinder is there something else to check? No external leaks at all and hydro is full. Thanks for any opinions .Cylinder I am talking about is between the tires

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
LM - welcome to OTT.

A suggestion first; give us the complete model number....I’m assuming you’re talking about a BX1850. The BX part lets us know what series you’re talking about.

The BX series is known for having internal leaks in the steering cylinder.

I believe they can be rebuilt, but if I remember correctly there are some improvements made to the cylinder, if you choose a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Replace the cylinder. New one is better than a rebuilt original, and the new one's not all that expensive. I paid a guy to rebuild mine since I didn't have the time, it ended up $175 for the rebuild and a new cylinder at that time was $190.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep you have a steering cylinder that's leaking internally.
And same advice as lugbolt and RCW, replace it, don't rebuild it.;)