Oil pressure B6100

Bountyhunter

Oct 13, 2019
Alberta
First post post so be gentle. I just purchased a B6100 with the three cyl diesel.
Love the tractor. The previous owner stated that he had changed the oil recently and it looked reasonably clean. I noticed that after using the rototiller for 1/2 hour or so and slowing down to an idle the oil light came on. After running it longer, it came on under 1/2 throttle. Does not come on cold, only when running for a while. I changed the oil to 15/40 Rotella and now it only comes on when it is at an idle warm. It has 1222 hrs on it. Do they have a problem with sending units or am I just wishful thinking?

H

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If it were my tractor I'd want to throw a gauge on to see what's really going on. It could be a bad sending unit or gauge. It could be a weak spring on the oil pressure bypass (if Kubota uses that method). It could be a failing oil pump. It could be worn bearings. There are a number of options but not all are expensive unless the oil pressure really is low, then it could get expensive.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It could also be the plug in the end of the cam. Very common problem after a few hundred heat/cool cycles. It's an alum. plug in steel and it gets ejected out.

Best to know the actual problem before attacking a cure. A mechanical gauge would tell you, for sure, what's happening.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First post post so be gentle. I just purchased a B6100 with the three cyl diesel.
Love the tractor. The previous owner stated that he had changed the oil recently and it looked reasonably clean. I noticed that after using the rototiller for 1/2 hour or so and slowing down to an idle the oil light came on. After running it longer, it came on under 1/2 throttle. Does not come on cold, only when running for a while. I changed the oil to 15/40 Rotella and now it only comes on when it is at an idle warm. It has 1222 hrs on it. Do they have a problem with sending units or am I just wishful thinking?

H
Like others have said, it's almost always a cam plug, and it's a simple and cheap fix.
To confirm put a mechanical gauge on it, if it's there, but low, then it's more than likely the cam plug.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I was one of the lucky ones. It was a bad sender in mine. I think that the the tester was about 30 bucks at Harbor Freight.

Bountyhunter

Oct 13, 2019
Alberta
Took the front cover off and there is definitely a hole in the front of the cam. Little smaller than a 1/4" . Is it best to turn down a rod and locktite it in there or should I attempt to thread it and put a bolt in there? It seemed very hard and I would be concerned about breaking a tap.

H

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Took the front cover off and there is definitely a hole in the front of the cam. Little smaller than a 1/4" . Is it best to turn down a rod and locktite it in there or should I attempt to thread it and put a bolt in there? It seemed very hard and I would be concerned about breaking a tap.

H
The best fix is to put a short rod in there and weld the end of it. ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yep, weld something in the hole. I used a taper roller from a bearing. When it's welded in you have the satisfaction of knowing it isn't going to fall out again!

If/when you weld be absolutely positive you have a good ground. And as close as possible to the work area. This prevents any lack of ground going back and finding a bearing.

Bountyhunter

Oct 13, 2019
Alberta
Well it is back together. I machined down a 1/4 rod and made it a press fit. I used red locktite and an instalation tool I had in the tool box. (hammer) I did not warm it up but have 60psi at cold idle which is a great improvement from 15. 0w40 Rotella synthetic oil should be ok? Thank you again for the brain trust out there. Now to decide whether to build a loader or a front 3pt for it.

H

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well it is back together. I machined down a 1/4 rod and made it a press fit. I used red locktite and an instalation tool I had in the tool box. (hammer) I did not warm it up but have 60psi at cold idle which is a great improvement from 15. 0w40 Rotella synthetic oil should be ok? Thank you again for the brain trust out there. Now to decide whether to build a loader or a front 3pt for it.

H
Come on down, I've got a loader that would fit it perfectly! ;)