ZD1211 Parking brake safety switch

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
Sailing along cutting grass at 6 mph it shut down. A quick look at the dash and the parking brake light is on. Climb under the machine and I see that the safety switch housing has broken and is dangling. No way to repair without replacing the whole switch. So I rig a jumper wire - - aha, it allows mower to start but must be "un-jumpered' in order to move.

If you close the steering arms with the parking brake set.... the mower stalls. (another safety switch) Won't allow you to move with the parking brake set.

What is the best way to do away with both features? I'm smart enough not to start the mower with the drive motors engaged. I'm also smart enough to recognize when the parking brake is on.

I don't like that guy that decided gas cans weren't safe unless they installed a spout that won't pour worth a crap. I don't like that guy that decided you have to stop the blades to back up either. I don't mind the dead man's switch on the seat - But on my big tractor it sucks because if you stand up to look over the front you cant move....

Anybody know the best way to bypass the steering arm safety?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
It is not possible to bypass them. In order to "bypass" you will likely have to reengineer the entire electrical system.

You can still get cans that don't have that mess and I suggest getting a yellow one for diesel, red for gasoline. They can't call them "gas cans" but they can call them "motorsports containers" made by VP racing among others.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
It sounds like you figured out how to bypass the first switch. You could just rig a simple toggle switch - on to start, off to go.