B7100 Engine Swap

AkJay

Equipment
B7100
Oct 3, 2019
Fairbanks Alaska
My B7100 has a leaky smoky D750 engine. I just ordered a clean low houred D1105 for it. This should be an interesting project!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think your going to be sadly disappointed in the inability of that swap, way to may differences.
Look at the hydraulic system, oil filter, charging system, water system, oil pan, not including the flywheel and bell housing mount.

But I would love for someone to tell me it was an easy swap, I've never heard of it.

AkJay

Equipment
B7100
Oct 3, 2019
Fairbanks Alaska
I think your going to be sadly disappointed in the inability of that swap, way to may differences.
Look at the hydraulic system, oil filter, charging system, water system, oil pan, not including the flywheel and bell housing mount.

But I would love for someone to tell me it was an easy swap, I've never heard of it.
I doubt that.

Most of those things you mentioned pose as no real obstacle at all in terms of ability or inability to do an engine conversion.

I’d encourage you to post evidence that proves that it can’t be done. Unless you’re content continuing to assume that it can’t be based on the fact that you’ve never heard of it being done.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I doubt that.

Most of those things you mentioned pose as no real obstacle at all in terms of ability or inability to do an engine conversion.

I’d encourage you to post evidence that proves that it can’t be done. Unless you’re content continuing to assume that it can’t be based on the fact that you’ve never heard of it being done.
AkJay, instead of asking for evidence proving it can not be done, why don't you just get it done....but stick around long enough to lead us through how you do it?

Before you get to arrogant, document each part of the engine changeover including these obstacles: hydraulic system, oil filter, charging system, water system, oil pan, flywheel and bell housing mount.

Since you've been on this forum you've had two knowledgeable folks tell you their opinion, which do not agree with your desires. Prove them wrong!

Best of luck to you. Keep up posted with your pictures!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
It's not that it can't be done, it's how much sense it makes to to do it. I'm confident that I could swap an Allison V12 into a B7100, given enough time & money. But I wouldn't, because the D750, D850, & D950 engines are virtual bolt in swaps. I am sure NIW is correct in stating all of the issues that are going to have to be addressed in order to swap that motor in. But if you do decide to do it, by all means document & photograph your work, and post it here. It would be an interesting read.

AkJay

Equipment
B7100
Oct 3, 2019
Fairbanks Alaska
My D1105 engine arrived today. All I had time to do was open the crate and give a quick inspection. Also, I did a test fit of the clutch and pressure plate. Here are some pics of the brand new B7100 clutch and pressure plate loosely bolted onto the stock D1105 flywheel with no fitment issues whatsoever, as I was expecting. I guess that’s that obstacle sorted out.

I MAY need to machine a pilot bearing, not sure. This clutch did not come with one so I’ll have to order one separate and see how it fits. Also, this flywheel will have to come off and get resurfaced before being put into use.

Aside from that, the engine looks like it’s in excellent shape!

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
My D1105 engine arrived today. All I had time to do was open the crate and give a quick inspection. Also, I did a test fit of the clutch and pressure plate. Here are some pics of the brand new B7100 clutch and pressure plate loosely bolted onto the stock D1105 flywheel with no fitment issues whatsoever, as I was expecting. I guess that***8217;s that obstacle sorted out.

I MAY need to machine a pilot bearing, not sure. This clutch did not come with one so I***8217;ll have to order one separate and see how it fits. Also, this flywheel will have to come off and get resurfaced before being put into use.

Aside from that, the engine looks like it***8217;s in excellent shape!
Good luck with your project! I believe anything can be put into anything with enough determination. I once put a Mazda rotary engine into a Fiat X/19! I also put a pontiac 2.5 into an army jeep. Hell! Kubota just put a Cummins into a Fendt and call it a M8! There will be lots of challenges with your project though so keep us posted as you go along.

Last edited:

AkJay

Equipment
B7100
Oct 3, 2019
Fairbanks Alaska
Good luck with your project! I believe anything can be put into anything with enough determination. I once put a Mazda rotary engine into a Fiat X/19! I also put a pontiac 2.5 into an army jeep. Hell! Kubota just put a Cummins into a Fendt and call it a M8! There will be lots of challenges with your project though so keep us posted as you go along.
Cool! My last swap was a computerized Subaru 2.5 engine into a 1967 Swedish track rig called a Snow-Trac.

Attachments

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
i used to own a boat repair shop (well co-owned).

many many times we had people show up wanting a "swap" done, and never with a smaller engine. Always larger. Exception, outboards (some public hunting lands are 25hp max and sometimes I'll get someone with a boat who wants to remove a 30/40/50/60 and put a 25 on it to hunt).

Had a 21' runabout show up. Originally had a 250" inline 6 GM engine which made I think 165hp as I recall. Engine was trashed, as usual from sitting with zero maintenance and the water in the eng froze and broke the block (VERY common). So the guy drops it off and then has a 327" dropped off that he wants swapped in. Well on boats, engine swaps are NEVER easy. Replacing the engine isn't too bad but swapping? Different league (not just the ballgame).

We got it in after playing with mounts, accessory drives, exhaust systems, outdrive changes, and a slew of other things. Guy picked it up excitedly and went to the lake. Back the next day, broken drive shaft in the outdrive. Outdrive is made for a 170hp engine not a 300hp engine. Replaced it as requested by the owner, promptly broke it again. Several more times it was broken at which time we had to tell the guy to bring us the bigger outdrive assembly or don't come back, and he never came back (of course).

Point being, the tractor is made to handle the torque of the D750 which made 16hp. Now you've got potentially close to DOUBLE the torque and power. Keep that in mind. A D1105 can make some steam depending on what it came from. There is more than one D1105. There are D1105's that turn 1800 RPM. There are D1105's that turn 3400 RPM and some that turn 3000 and some that turn 2200. Some have more power than others.

Case in point, guy brought me an RTV900 a while back with a bad engine. They are rebuildable in-frame as long as the crankshaft doesn't have to come out, and this particular guy thought you could pull the crank in-frame. Nope. Crank was trashed so out it came (trans, subframe, everything). Got it all torn down and ready for machining, guy shows up with a D902 wanting me to put it in. Ok whatever. It was a used engine. It came from an excavator. Got it in, running. Only ran about 1/2 speed. Owner says I did something wrong. Yes I did. I didn't question the engine. A D902 is a D902 right? No. They are mostly the same block crank and pistons but that's about it. The one I put in had a 2000 RPM max speed so the RTV only went about 10mph instead of 18; on it's governor. On that machine it's a bear to get the front cover off while in the frame, so I advised the owner that it would be best to remove the engine (again) from the RTV so that the governor assembly could be swapped with one from the old engine. Guy says I'm crazy and I must have done something wrong. Well he wasn't wrong about me being crazy :) It was picked up and then repaired at another shop, so he still had to pay someone to do it. I have never said "I told you so" but in this case, I told him so.

Reactions: 1 user