G5200 fuel pump-Kubota or after-market?

ctaylor738

Equipment
G5200 with RC44G
Oct 13, 2019
Falls Church & Orange VA
Newbie again. Working to get to five posts so I can put up some pictures. The fuel pump on this G5200 works intermittently. If it runs, the engine starts easily. If it doesn't long crank, no start. A Kubota pump costs $110 to $142. There are after-market pumps for under $50. Here is an example.

https://www.amazon.com/Fuel-12585-5...hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-739428230543

Is it worthwhile to spend the extra money on a Kubota-branded pump?

Cheers,

CT

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
Generally, if you have a working pump, and intermittently at that, I would check all connections first and make sure you have no corrosion or loose wires. There is a connector behind the air intake screen for the radiator the is prone to corroding. Check all of that first.

As for aftermarket, if you feel as though you want to take a risk (with a twenty year old tractor that isn't worth much), I would say go for it. If it gives you good service, you win! Post back on how you make out.

Chris

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

ctaylor738

Equipment
G5200 with RC44G
Oct 13, 2019
Falls Church & Orange VA
I have triple-checked all of the connections, cleaned the fuse connection etc. There is 12 volts at the pump connection when it isn't working, and if you give the pump a gentle whack by reaching under the seat, sometimes it will start working.

So I guess you are saying you pays your money and takes your chance?

Thanks,

CT

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I wouldn't hesitate using a cheaper aftermarket fuel pump. It's a simple device that mounts in a fuel line, correct? How can it get any worse than what you have now?

I had a '05 Polaris Ranger that had low fuel pressure. To replace the pump one had to purchase the entire fuel tank, and the pump was in it....$610. I bought a pump off of Ebay (I'm sure imported from our friends in China) for $26. I removed the handful of screws, removed the bad pump installed the new one and it worked 'till the day I sold it. I had to modify the wire connection, take the old one off and attach to the new pump.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
You may be able to find the actual Mitsubishi part and be cheaper than Kubota.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
The fuel pump on my G5200 started to run intermittently... that is the failure mode for mine. Rapping it with a screwdriver-handle would make it start again.

My engine would run fine with with a FULL tank of fuel... but as the tank got lower, the engine would begin to stumble or quit running.

After hours of research, I ended up with an EDELELEBROCK electric pump from local autoparts supplier. It included a screw-in filter on the input and is a ROTARY pump instead of the noisy reciprocating pump like the original.

The MAIN thing you need to to validate is the PRESSURE it supplies is similar to the original pump. (approx 3-7 psi)

Here is photo of the pump I used ==> https://www.opgi.com/product/image/...edelbrock-universal-38gph-4-7-psi-edl7301.jpg

I did have to do some soldering to make it plug into the factory harness and figure out how to mount it... but that was trivial for me.

If you want plug-n-play replacement, go with original Kubota pump. (which will be VERY expensive.)

Last edited:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I used an aftermarket Holley pump that is fine after 2 years. I also have a $20 eBay no name pump on my other ZD mower that works fine also.
I did not install the Holly filter along with the pump... it appears to be way too small capacity wise for use with diesel fuel. I hated changing the Kubota OEM filters, so I installed a large 2 micron filter ahead of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro