Anybody use a 5’ Brush Hog on a BX?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just curious.

Was reading a thread elsewhere where someone was considering using a 5’ shredder with his BX.

I never considered doing that as I use my five footer on the B2910.

Anyone here use a five foot brush hog on their BX? If so, how well did the BX handle it?

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I have a Woods BB48 that is about 500 pounds. The BX barely handles the weight when carrying it. Weight is no problem when cutting. A 400 pound 5ft cutter would probably handle about the same. I wouldn't want anything heavier.

Bruce

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Just curious.

Was reading a thread elsewhere where someone was considering using a 5’ shredder with his BX.

Anyone here use a five foot brush hog on their BX? If so, how well did the BX handle it?
Too big and too heavy.

SDT

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I have a Woods BB48 that is about 500 pounds. The BX barely handles the weight when carrying it. Weight is no problem when cutting. A 400 pound 5ft cutter would probably handle about the same. I wouldn't want anything heavier.

Bruce
Agreed. I think weight is a bigger factor than cutting width. I'm sure a light duty (ie: lighter weight) 5' cutter would be fine.

lunasdude

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, FEL, quick con pto, box bld, land plane, flail mower
Dec 22, 2018
Los Lunas, NM USA
Re: Anybody use a 5Â’ Brush Hog on a BX?

Just curious.

Was reading a thread elsewhere where someone was considering using a 5Â***8217; shredder with his BX.

Hmm. where to start?
Would think your B2910 would be FAR superior when using this size implement.
The only advantage I could ever see by using a small BX is maneuverability and if you are mowing over something like I do such as a septic tank that can hold 3000 lbs maximum.
Both of those things apply to me.
I have a 48" rotary mower with dual blades which has a minimum 18hp requirement and weights 525 lbs.
I'm not sure where everyone if getting the "to heavy" from?
I would think the weight was not as much of a factor as the PTO hp.
The specs below are for the BX 1880 rear pto from tractor data . com and as you can see it can lift 680 lbs.

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: I
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm): 680 lbs [308 kg]

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO: independent
Rear RPM: 540 (1.375)
Mid RPM: 2500

Having said all that.
My rotary does work fine with weeds, light brush etc, where I can't go is anything over 3 foot weeds or larger brush.
I also use a 41" flail mower which is about 390 lbs and requires 13 pto hp and it works great!

I use my bush hog for a large area because it's quicker and covers more.
But it gives my little monster a BIG ASS :eek: and a larger turning circle so I consider it only when using in a long straight line mowing.
I use my flail for everything else because it requires a lot less pto and has a smaller profile (smaller ass!:D) and I can get around much smaller areas with it!

Having a small tractor requires you to use most of your capacity of lift and hp most of the time.
Also you have to be very aware of weight balance on these micro tractors, front, rear side etc.

Just me careful as the BX's are prone to tipping!*
Good luck!

*(not to be confused with cow tipping which will result in both the BX and cow on their side!) :D

Last edited:

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I have a counterweight nearly as heavy as my mower. There is no comparison as to how they handle. The counterweight is un-noticed when driving. The cutter is trying to wag the tractor. The weight is much farther back.

Bruce

FernandoJ

Equipment
BX 1880
Aug 23, 2021
DFW
Re: Anybody use a 5Â’ Brush Hog on a BX?

Hmm. where to start?
Would think your B2910 would be FAR superior when using this size implement.
The only advantage I could ever see by using a small BX is maneuverability and if you are mowing over something like I do such as a septic tank that can hold 3000 lbs maximum.
Both of those things apply to me.
I have a 48" rotary mower with dual blades which has a minimum 18hp requirement and weights 525 lbs.
I'm not sure where everyone if getting the "to heavy" from?
I would think the weight was not as much of a factor as the PTO hp.
The specs below are for the BX 1880 rear pto from tractor data . com and as you can see it can lift 680 lbs.

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: I
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm): 680 lbs [308 kg]

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO: independent
Rear RPM: 540 (1.375)
Mid RPM: 2500

Having said all that.
My rotary does work fine with weeds, light brush etc, where I can't go is anything over 3 foot weeds or larger brush.
I also use a 41" flail mower which is about 390 lbs and requires 13 pto hp and it works great!

I use my bush hog for a large area because it's quicker and covers more.
But it gives my little monster a BIG ASS :eek: and a larger turning circle so I consider it only when using in a long straight line mowing.
I use my flail for everything else because it requires a lot less pto and has a smaller profile (smaller ass!:D) and I can get around much smaller areas with it!

Having a small tractor requires you to use most of your capacity of lift and hp most of the time.
Also you have to be very aware of weight balance on these micro tractors, front, rear side etc.

Just me careful as the BX's are prone to tipping!*
Good luck!

*(not to be confused with cow tipping which will result in both the BX and cow on their side!) :D
Hello. Which bush hog do you use in your BX 1880? I am trying to buy one and most specs say 20HP at PTO. The BX only has 13.7. Thank you for your advise/

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you might look into 'selfpowered' bush hogs, the ones you pull around NOT carry or power.
My gut tells me a 48" hog would 'work',but on DRY, weekly cut grass.
Interesting 13HP spec.... from an 18HP tractor.. is the 13 AFTER 6 is used up driving the tractor around? or is the 13 @ PTO if 'standing still' ? either way not a lot of power.
yeesh I got a rider here 22HP with a 54" deck would be faster...

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I use a Bush Hog brand SQ420 on my BX22. It handles weight wise fine, cutting it does fairly well. Cutting brush, briars and such is no problem. Knee high thhick grass on the other hand will make 'Mighty Fred' groan. Would probably do better with sharp blades.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Depending on which BX your are referring to. 18, 23 or 26HP. Would suggest to much for the 18 hp, might be OK with 23/26 hp. Depends on what material you are cutting. Light material, no problem. HEAVY stuff gonna have some issues. Should have front weight on/FEL if doing up hill mowing. Your B series with handle it much better and more safely. My take.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Depending on which BX your are referring to. 18, 23 or 26HP. Would suggest to much for the 18 hp, might be OK with 23/26 hp. Depends on what material you are cutting. Light material, no problem. HEAVY stuff gonna have some issues. Should have front weight on/FEL if doing up hill mowing. Your B series with handle it much better and more safely. My take.
When I started this thread, I was curious, because I have the 5' brush hog that works fine with my larger tractor. But my BX2200 is MUCH more stable than the B2910 on side slopes.

Anyway, I have since concluded that I am not going to bother trying to use the brush hog on the BX. I'll just cut more frequently, like I already do, using the BX MMM. I don't mind doing it anyway, and it is only about 4 acres that I cut regularly anyway.

A couple other acres are among trees and have been taken over by stilt grass, which looks rather nice and keep the briars and other things under control. It is such a light cover in the fall when the leaves come down, that I have no issues running over it with the MMM, blowing the leaves against the trees bases...