Buying advice needed, m9000 or 9540?

Scarhead

Equipment
RTVx1100c, ZD331
Sep 20, 2019
West Virginia
I'm looking for a tractor for brush hog work around the farm. I have a lead on a M9000 with ~700 hours, 4X4,and loader. I haven't went to see it yet and don't have a price, and I have no idea what its worth.
Here's the bigger question. I had been thinking of buying a Kubota 9540 as it's a pre Tier 4 tractor. Is the 9540 a better machine than the M9000? I know that the 9540 is a bit newer, but sometimes that doesn't mean much.
I only put about 30 hours a year on a tractor, so a Tier 4 machine could become very problematic due to lack of use.

If you have any thoughts or advice, it would be much appreciated. Also, if you have any idea what the M9000 (above) would be worth I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts/opinion on that too.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I own 2 M9's one a cab model and one open station. Both are great units and easy to work on. I had a 105X which is newer model but still pre tier 4 and sold it. The M9's will do anything I need to do (which is running commercial forage) and brush hogging fields.

The year of the unit (M9) you are looking at will determine the price as well as the model. M9's came in a couple variations, the best is the hydraulic shuttle model. The also came in a dry clutch model (I believe it was called the 'Utility' model) and a high wheel model and an 'orchard model'.

Motors are bulletproof with proper maintenance.

Interestingly, the cab models seem to have a bit more grunt than the open station models for some reason although the engine rated power is listed as the same but notwithstanding, my open station M9 will run my bat wing brush hog in anything I want to mow down, my cab model just 'feels' a bit stronger.

You could also get them with creep gears, quick detach bobcat style FEL's and 2 speed pto 540 / 1000. My cab model has all those options. My open station has just the basic options plus the quick detach.

I have a tad over 2000 hours on my cab unit and just over 3600 hours on the open station. The 3600 hour unit is going in this winter to have the overhead run and a new front seal installed because it's weeping just a tad. Other than that, it's just routine maintenance. Really overbuilt compared to current models.

Both have loaders on them as well. Very capable loaders. I can easily pick up a ton and a half with either unit with pallet forks.

If you find out the year and model (example hydraulic shuttle or utility) post it and I should be able to give you a ballpark.

Pre 4 tractors are getting hard to find in the large frame models that aren't run hard and beat to death.

Personally, I would never own a post 4 unit. Just too much electronic junk to have issues.

Only 'electronic' device on the M9 is the fuel solenoid. Everything else is mechanical.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'm looking for a tractor for brush hog work around the farm. I have a lead on a M9000 with ~700 hours, 4X4,and loader. I haven't went to see it yet and don't have a price, and I have no idea what its worth.
Here's the bigger question. I had been thinking of buying a Kubota 9540 as it's a pre Tier 4 tractor. Is the 9540 a better machine than the M9000? I know that the 9540 is a bit newer, but sometimes that doesn't mean much.
I only put about 30 hours a year on a tractor, so a Tier 4 machine could become very problematic due to lack of use.

If you have any thoughts or advice, it would be much appreciated. Also, if you have any idea what the M9000 (above) would be worth I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts/opinion on that too.
I've owned neither but do own a M9960, the successor to the 9540.

I've been told that some/many (early?) 9000s are known for clutch failures but have no first hand experience.

I do know that the M 9 series Kubotas have a weak PTO brake that was not redesigned until late in the 9960 model run. Whichever model you get, you will be wise to always return the engine to idle before turning the PTO off when operating a high inertia load such as a bat wing. I always position mine just in front of uncut grass and back into the grass just upon turning the PTOI off. I've heard some folks say that Kubota M9 tractors prior to the design change should not be used with bat wing mowers but common sense should suffice.

I once saw a M9540 in my dealer's shop that had been split to replace/upgrade (all failures receive the new/redesigned PTO clutch/brake assembly) the PTO brake. The failure was catastrophic and this, county owned, tractor had never operated anything but a PTO driven hydraulic pump for a mounted boom mower. Interesting, ad the pump is not an overrunning inertial load.

Look to tractorhouse for asking prices of used tractors.

SDT

Last edited:

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Haven't had mine that long and only issue is a slight drive shaft leak. The leak is just enough to mess a concrete floor but not enough that oil needs to be added. The FEL with grapple has all needed to move things.

As mentioned do start and stop PTO stuff at idle unless you know the upgrade has been done, and even then I would still do it that way

Do look for any of the FEL pins that have snapped retaining pins or bolts. Kubota doesn't use chrome plating and if they are not greased regular then they can rust and sieze. Had to replace some when first bought mine

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I've owned neither but do own a M9960, the successor to the 9540.

I've been told that some/many (early?) 9000s are known for clutch failures but have no first hand experience.

Why I recommend a hydraulic shuttle. No clutch at all, just a flex plate in the bellhousing

I do know that the M 9 series Kubotas have a weak PTO brake that was not redesigned until late in the 9960 model run. Whichever model you get, you will be wise to always return the engine to idle before turning the PTO off when operating a high inertia load such as a bat wing. I always position mine just in front of uncut grass and back into the grass just upon turning the PTOI off. I've heard some folks say that Kubota M9 tractors prior to the design change should not be used with bat wing mowers but common sense should suffice.

All my implements that I run on both tractors each have a ratcheting, independent clutch, bat wing included. In 3500 and 2000 hours respectively, I've never had a pto related failure, in fact, no failures at all except the weeping front engine case seal on the 3500 hour tractor which, will be addressed this winter when the overhead clearance is set at my dealer's shop.

I once saw a M9540 in my dealer's shop that had been split to replace/upgrade (all failures receive the new/redesigned PTO clutch/brake assembly) the PTO brake. The failure was catastrophic and this, county owned, tractor had never operated anything but a PTO driven hydraulic pump for a mounted boom mower. Interesting, ad the pump is not an overrunning inertial load.

Look to tractorhouse for asking prices of used tractors.

SDT
Prices are all over the place on pre 4 large frame tractors. Seen them for 10 grand up to 25 grand depending on location and condition. Keep in mind that if a unit looks good and operates correctly but has worn shoes, a new set of shoes will set you back over 3 grand in bias ply and more in radials. These aren't hobby tractors so the shoes are size 12+:)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
All Dodge makes a good point about fulcrum pins on Kubota loaders. When looking at any unit that is used, look to see if there is grease showing in all the pinned joints, not new grease but old crusty grease that shows it has received grease regularly.

The other thing not mentioned about M9's is the fact that Kubota redesigned the ac units on later models and moved it from the roof to underseat and thee vents to the dash area.

Mine has the roof mounted ac and heater components and with proper care and cleaning and some common sense, it will freeze you out but it must be cleaned as in removing the top and cleaning the components, adding a layer of Reflectix foil-bubble-foil insulation to the underside if the roof and adding a positive hot antifreeze shutoff valve in the heater line.

I pull my top every spring and clean it. No big deal. Take the screws out from inside the cab and the roof lifts off. If you are looking at a cab model that is.

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
I wouldn't be afraid to buy either of them.

They are essentially the same tractor other than the sheet metal and creature comforts. I have a 9540 and a friends has a 9000. I like my 9540 better because of the comfort and ergonomics.

Some 9540 do have emission equipment on them. The model will have a "-1" after it if it is equip with an EGR valve. I think the switch was done in 2011 or 2012.

I have also heard about the pto issue on the M9540. Never had an issue with mine. Always let the batwing slow to an idle before disengaging the pto. The only fix is to have the new updated clutch pack installed from my understanding.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
I own 2 M9's one a cab model and one open station. Both are great units and easy to work on. I had a 105X which is newer model but still pre tier 4 and sold it. The M9's will do anything I need to do (which is running commercial forage) and brush hogging fields.

The year of the unit (M9) you are looking at will determine the price as well as the model. M9's came in a couple variations, the best is the hydraulic shuttle model. The also came in a dry clutch model (I believe it was called the 'Utility' model) and a high wheel model and an 'orchard model'.

Motors are bulletproof with proper maintenance.

Interestingly, the cab models seem to have a bit more grunt than the open station models for some reason although the engine rated power is listed as the same but notwithstanding, my open station M9 will run my bat wing brush hog in anything I want to mow down, my cab model just 'feels' a bit stronger.

You could also get them with creep gears, quick detach bobcat style FEL's and 2 speed pto 540 / 1000. My cab model has all those options. My open station has just the basic options plus the quick detach.

I have a tad over 2000 hours on my cab unit and just over 3600 hours on the open station. The 3600 hour unit is going in this winter to have the overhead run and a new front seal installed because it's weeping just a tad. Other than that, it's just routine maintenance. Really overbuilt compared to current models.

Both have loaders on them as well. Very capable loaders. I can easily pick up a ton and a half with either unit with pallet forks.

If you find out the year and model (example hydraulic shuttle or utility) post it and I should be able to give you a ballpark.

Pre 4 tractors are getting hard to find in the large frame models that aren't run hard and beat to death.

Personally, I would never own a post 4 unit. Just too much electronic junk to have issues.

Only 'electronic' device on the M9 is the fuel solenoid. Everything else is mechanical.
Sidecar, you mentioned "having the overhead run". I have heard this before but do not really know what it means. I think my M9000 may need the valves adjusted, you can hear a ticking that is more noticeable when in a hard pull.
It there more to an "overhead" than adjusting the valve?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sidecar, you mentioned "having the overhead run". I have heard this before but do not really know what it means. I think my M9000 may need the valves adjusted, you can hear a ticking that is more noticeable when in a hard pull.
It there more to an "overhead" than adjusting the valve?
What I was inferring to, a valve adjustment (and injector actuator clearance adjustment). My 3500 hour tractor is a bit down on power and I equate that to too much clearance in the overhead. With that series of tractors, the hood and some accessories must be removed to gain access to the overhead for adjustment. Leaving that to my dealer and his technician this winter as I also need a front gearcase seal replaced (weeping) and the left outboard planetary upper bushing replaced (have vertical play in the front left spindle assembly.

If I'm not mistaken (and I didn't look), Kubota recommends running the overhead at 2000 hours. I'm well past that.

I bought the M9 open station used (from a JD Dealer of all places) so I have no idea if the original owner stuck to the maintenance schedule or not, in as much as I have no records of that. I went over the unit very carefully before I bought it (I'm very familiar with M9000's in as much as my cab unit, I bought new in 2002), but you cannot see inside so I expected issues anyway.

I bought it for good price, $18,000.00, with loader (SSQA). So I wasn't completely ignorant going in.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've bought 2 M9000's, one open and one cab. The cab tractor has way more power than the open station does. My only complaint is the remotes. The float position locks in so tight you really have to give it a good jerk to get it out. That was corrected in the 40 series tractors. Aside from that I prefer my 9000 over the 40 series tractors.

Maybe I've been lucky but mine spends 99% of it's time with a pto implement including a 15' batwing. Never had any issues.

Value always depends on condition but pre-tier 4 tractors bring a premium right now. Local dealer has a M8200 cab 4wd with loader and 3500 hard hrs on it. Asking $24k

Talked to a guy a while back that had a M9000 cab 4wd with loader, 350 hrs and was asking $45k. That price is $3K higher than what it cost new in 04.