Rotary cutter for a B2650

Highmarket

Equipment
B2650hsdc
Jan 15, 2019
Constableville NY Tughill
This is exactly what I do.

Interesting.... I never tried this as the manual cautions that mowing in reverse can damage the mower. Maybe as long as you don't press the roller into an object such as a stump it doesn't hurt?

Congratulations, that's the one I'd buy for a 25hp B or L. I hope you post back with pics and your initial impression?
Thanks, I will try and get some Pic and Videos.

PilotRPI

Sep 20, 2019
Hopkinton
My dealer told me for a 20hp PTO, I should look at 48". I'm in the same boat. Looking at a B2650 or L2501. It will be more of a weedy pasture to mow, thick grasses. Not cutting through sapplings or anything. Is 60" ok in that case? Also, is the rcr18 much prefered over the rcr12?

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
My dealer told me for a 20hp PTO, I should look at 48". I'm in the same boat. Looking at a B2650 or L2501. It will be more of a weedy pasture to mow, thick grasses. Not cutting through sapplings or anything. Is 60" ok in that case? Also, is the rcr18 much prefered over the rcr12?
I have a B2650 and I have 60” cutter and it works fun with my tractor. With the FEL on it is balanced and I never felt like I had a lack of power. The dealer recommended the 60” to me to cover the tractor wheel base.
1D9EBDA6-5359-421D-B7D1-089015C40B24.jpg

PilotRPI

Sep 20, 2019
Hopkinton
I have a B2650 and I have 60” cutter and it works fun with my tractor. With the FEL on it is balanced and I never felt like I had a lack of power. The dealer recommended the 60” to me to cover the tractor wheel base.
View attachment 44860
That makes sense to me. Do you have the RCR12 or the RCR18? Again, I'm not going through anything too crazy, so maybe the lighter version is OK? I'll have to price out the difference.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Be advised that thick grass pulls much harder than tall weeds/brush, especially if you cut close as do I.

I use a 60" RC2060 Frontier mower with my B3350. Power is adequate but I do need a full set of front weights.

I would not recommend anything bigger than 48" for a 2650.

SDT

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
That makes sense to me. Do you have the RCR12 or the RCR18? Again, I'm not going through anything too crazy, so maybe the lighter version is OK? I'll have to price out the difference.
I have the RCR1260 - it was lower cost then the 1860 and because I am cutting mostly tall grass/weeds in our fields it is what I was looking for. It will go through up to 1" woody material. So far I have had no issues cutting away the grass and the small saplings. I finished up around my roads and did around my coverall as well. Probably about 1.5 acres of mowing. It bounced off a few rocks and found some old wire fencing but other than some wear on the blades paint it looks like new underneath still.

The RCR1260 is 480lbs and the RCR1860 is 600lbs with the main difference being deck thickness and the gearbox. At least that is the way it was explained to me.

My dealer also told me to not get the slip clutch on the unit with the smaller tractor as it has more maintenance issues. So I have the shear pin on mine. He gave me an overrun clutch that goes on my PTO at the rear of the tractor. When I disengage the PTO it allows the shaft to the cutter to spin and slow down so that it does not cause wear on the PTO system trying to stop the cutter. He said this is another maintenance issue with smaller tractors using an implement like this.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have the RCR1260 - it was lower cost then the 1860 and because I am cutting mostly tall grass/weeds in our fields it is what I was looking for. It will go through up to 1" woody material. So far I have had no issues cutting away the grass and the small saplings. I finished up around my roads and did around my coverall as well. Probably about 1.5 acres of mowing. It bounced off a few rocks and found some old wire fencing but other than some wear on the blades paint it looks like new underneath still.

The RCR1260 is 480lbs and the RCR1860 is 600lbs with the main difference being deck thickness and the gearbox. At least that is the way it was explained to me.

My dealer also told me to not get the slip clutch on the unit with the smaller tractor as it has more maintenance issues. So I have the shear pin on mine. He gave me an overrun clutch that goes on my PTO at the rear of the tractor. When I disengage the PTO it allows the shaft to the cutter to spin and slow down so that it does not cause wear on the PTO system trying to stop the cutter. He said this is another maintenance issue with smaller tractors using an implement like this.
You do not need an ORC with your HST tractor but you should ALWAYS return the engine to idle speed before turning the PTO off to avoid unnecessary wear of the PTO brake.

I agree that a shear bolt is a better alternative than a slip clutch for most folks in most situations, especially with smaller tractors and mowers. Few folks do not take the time to properly adjust a slip clutch to the application or intentionally slip it annually to prevent corrosion lock.

SDT

Last edited: