PTO selection

fransser

Jul 30, 2019
Sedgwick
Hello,
I've recently purchased a used bx2380 (only 116 hours on it).

Yesterday, after mowing (pto selection was in mid only position) I moved the lever to rear pto just to check things out. After engaging the pto and seeing it run the rear shaft, I was going to move the selection back to the mid position.

It seemed stuck. I moved the tractor back and forth a bit and eventually put the transmission in neutral. I'm not sure what action "unstuck" the pto selector.

Have others experienced this? Is something wrong? Did I do something wrong?

I was stationary throughout the whole process. Any feedback is appreciated!

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I have an "L" series with HST drive but have noticed a similar situation sometimes - not all the time. I may have to shift into neutral to engage PTO, then shift into gear. The "L" series has no mid PTO so it is either engaged or not. I think it probably has to do with having the gears align in the proper order. My older Mitsubishi gear drive tractor behaved similarly.

Last edited:

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Thats not uncommon. Lots of times when trying to engage the different positions or disengage the lever does seem to stick as you mentioned. Mine is a BX 2370-1 also had a BX 2350. What I've found is that if you can't get it to shift what I do is with the tractor shut off. I'll grab a hold of the rear PTO shaft or the mid shaft which ever is engaged or trying to engage and slowly turn either one by hand and shift the lever at the same time. It always shifts in or fairly easy when doing this. Its just how the gears are cut and linning up. Again make sure the tractor is shut off.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've never seen the 'innards' but if they're straight cut gears then yes, they will 'stick'. Nature of the design. I seriously dobut they have 'synchros...$$$ !
It'll be easier the more you shift..as you'll slightly wear the leading edges of the gears...