GCK54-GR for new GR2120

HoCoMDVol

Equipment
GR2120
Nov 20, 2018
Maryland
I am interested in this attachment for my recently purchased GR2120. I've done some digging on the inter-webs for reviews on its performance, reliability etc but have not found anything thorough enough for my purposes.

Does anyone here have this attachment? If so, what are your thoughts on its performance and reliability?

Any information appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

HoCoMDVol

Equipment
GR2120
Nov 20, 2018
Maryland
I am interested in this attachment for my recently purchased GR2120. I've done some digging on the inter-webs for reviews on its performance, reliability etc but have not found anything thorough enough for my purposes.

Does anyone here have this attachment? If so, what are your thoughts on its performance and reliability?

Any information appreciated, thanks!
Bring this back to the top to see if there is anyone able to comment. Thanks!

RockPileGardener

Equipment
BX2380, loader, snowblower, mowing deck, bagger
Mar 13, 2019
Canton, CT
I have a GCK60-26BX which is attached to my RCK54P-23BX, all on my BX2380. It works pretty good but there is one problem I have not figured out. While mowing there can be considerable leaf and grass clipping coming out from under the right front corner of the mower deck. I usually have the deck set to cut 3" but also had the problem at a lower setting. I'm running the tractor at around 3k, should be high enough for the catcher to suck up the output of the deck. But that's what it feels like, that the catcher can't keep up with the deck. It can be so bad that it leaves a line of leaves and grass along the right side of the tractors path.

The only other issue is the capacity of the bags. For mowing they are fine but in leaf season I need to rig up a trailer to hold a larger volume. That's not unique to this bagger, any bagger is going to fill fast with leaves.

DC

PS, I haven't searched yet for solutions to this problem, so the answer may be out there.

HoCoMDVol

Equipment
GR2120
Nov 20, 2018
Maryland
In case it is helpful for others. I just acquired a GCK54-GR unit on consignment from Messicks at the Biglersville/Aspers, PA location today. The unit had been used for a couple of seasons, but seemingly didn't fit what the original owner quite needed. I got it for $600 and just finished mounting it up and giving it a short whirl around the yard. Some specific comments:

The unit seems to be super robust, nothing seems cheap/skimpy about it.

The blower is a beast. I engaged it without the tube attached just to feel the airflow coming out if it. It moves a TON of air and I don't anticipate ANY problem with it moving grass/leaves into the bags, even with them somewhat wet.

It mounted right up to the RCK54-GR deck with zero issues. I'd probably have to intentionally ram the thing into a tree full-speed to do any damage, it's attached in a heavy-duty fashion.

I will probably need to re-level the deck as the blower does have some heft to it. This was one main reason I took somewhat of a look at a BX-series with the accompanying bagger when deciding BX vs GR2120. The BX-series bagger separates the blower from the deck and drives it via the rear PTO. Not possible on the GR2120.

I do need to see what type of pull guard I need now that the new dual-pulley is installed to drive the blower off the right blade spindle. This may be missing from what I got today, and it seems as if there should be a guard over that mechanism.

I anticipated this thing will be exactly what I wanted and will update here with performance thoughts once I give it a serious workout.

HoCoMDVol

Equipment
GR2120
Nov 20, 2018
Maryland
Performance feedback here if useful. I've used this grass catcher unit 2 times to clear leaves from the yard. I've cleared ~1.5 acres of what I would classify as a "medium to slight heavy" density of fallen leaves, both dry the first time around and somewhat wet the second time a couple days after a rain.

I set the deck at my normal 3" mowing setting and made sure to level it properly after mounting the blower. There was indeed about a 3/4" difference side-side after mounting when at the 3" setting. The blower is definitely a substantial item that needs to be accounted for when keeping a level deck.

This unit performed an OUTSTANDING job of this task both times. Little/no residual leaves left after 1 pass, and no clogging of the chute/system at all either time. When inspecting the bags when emptying, the collected material seemed to be finely chopped and evenly distributed into the bags. I know the blower impeller is not necessarily set-up to "mulch" the material it is pushing into the bags, but it looked to do so anyway. I did 2 or 3 dumps/session.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the performance of this consignment unit so far. No hesitations recommending it for someone thinking about getting one for the their GR series lawn tractor, it is a beast.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: