B4200 Safety Switch / Switches

Bradlegh

Equipment
B4200
Does anybody know how many safety switches are on the B4200. I know there is one on the foot break (should read clutch sorry) but cant find any others. Looks like the wiring diagram only showes one as well but jut need to clarify this.
Basically having a problem getting my tractor to start after having it parked up for a few weeks, seems to be an electrical problem and need to work out if its a problem with the safety switches as a starting point
Thanks for any help

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Does anybody know how many safety switches are on the B4200. I know there is one on the foot break but can’t find any others. Looks like the wiring diagram only showes one as well but jut need to clarify this.
Basically having a problem getting my tractor to start after having it parked up for a few weeks, seems to be an electrical problem and need to work out if it’s a problem with the safety switches as a starting point
Thanks for any help
Describe more the starting problem, does it spin and no start? OR not spin at all?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Does anybody know how many safety switches are on the B4200. I know there is one on the foot break but can’t find any others. Looks like the wiring diagram only showes one as well but jut need to clarify this.
Basically having a problem getting my tractor to start after having it parked up for a few weeks, seems to be an electrical problem and need to work out if it’s a problem with the safety switches as a starting point
Thanks for any help
Just one safety switch on the B4200. it is on the clutch linkage. If it is working correctly the clutch must be pressed down for the starter to work.

Bradlegh

Equipment
B4200
Yeah thought there’s was only the one on the clutch.
Tractor was working fine until I parked it up a few weeks back, went to start it and although the lights come on and the glow plug warmer clicks on nothing else happens. No clicking on the solenoid or any other part of the engine.
Battery has been taken off and fully charged and refitted, all terminals have been cleaned. So I assumed the next one to check was the safety switches, which seemed ok.
Any other suggestions

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
From my understanding, the B4200 is basically the same tractor as a B5100 which is what I have. If that is true, it is a very simple electrical system. You just need to get a meter on there and see if you are getting power to different components. Is there output from the starter switch to the starter solenoid? If so, could be a bad solenoid/starter. If not, bad switch. Probably a simple fix.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I have a B4200 if you need any comparison info. It has a very basic electrical system, as already stated I would check for voltage at the starter solenoid when the key is activated. No voltage work back to the switch and battery. Voltage present then look at the solenoid then starter. Jeff

Bradlegh

Equipment
B4200
Sorted. Poor earth connection. Removed, cleaned connections and chassis contact area, bolted back together and tractor started first turn.
Always fear the worst and turns out to be something simple, at least its sorted. Great little machine this is the first bit of trouble I have had with it in 4 years of owning it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Always fear the worst and turns out to be something simple.
I'm notorious for that, but gotten better in my older years.

Always start with the simple stuff.....

Glad it's running!!

Winnipaw

Oct 21, 2019
Hingham, Massachusetts
I just joined the forum. I bought my project b 4200 just recently and am trying to get it ready for some work. My clutch safety switch has been removed and the pedal has no spring return. I’m wondering if any owners could show me what the setup is. Tractor has loader and would love to get to work with it. Don’t want to mess up the clutch by having no return. Any help is appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I just joined the forum. I bought my project b 4200 just recently and am trying to get it ready for some work. My clutch safety switch has been removed and the pedal has no spring return. I’m wondering if any owners could show me what the setup is. Tractor has loader and would love to get to work with it. Don’t want to mess up the clutch by having no return. Any help is appreciated.
The clutch pedal return spring is a torsion spring on the shaft, not the traditional extension spring.
You'll have to pull the clutch fork rod to replace it.

https://www.messicks.com/part/66621-13420/spring