L3901 and L3301

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
who has L3901 and L3301 out there like to see if we can have a go to for.issues and topics concerning this series of tractors.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I have a 3901. Did it's first regen today at 15.5 hours, no problems, only took about 10 minutes while I continued working. Just had to bump up the rpm's till the light quit flashing. Ive been working it at about 2000 rpm and rarely let it idle, but I wonder if I shouldn't be running it higher? Would like to know what others are getting for hours In between regens.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
I have an L3301 that now has 55 hours on it. Zero issues. It has performed two regenerations flawlessly. Had I not noticed the symbol on the dash, I would have never known it happened. Absolutely incredible little machine!

Reactions: 1 user

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
I have a 3901. Did it's first regen today at 15.5 hours, no problems, only took about 10 minutes while I continued working. Just had to bump up the rpm's till the light quit flashing. Ive been working it at about 2000 rpm and rarely let it idle, but I wonder if I shouldn't be running it higher? Would like to know what others are getting for hours In between regens.
Looks like we have the same equipment right now, i only have 7 hours on mine so have not seen a regen yet. i have had the RPMs up at the PTO mark. but i don't like running it that high since it seems its too easy to get rammie with the HST and the loader valves.

I have an L3301 that now has 55 hours on it. Zero issues. It has performed two regenerations flawlessly. Had I not noticed the symbol on the dash, I would have never known it happened. Absolutely incredible little machine!
Notice you have the BH77 how do you like it? it is one of the options i am considering down the road.

speedymph1000

May 18, 2015
Alabama
I have a L3901DT with FEL. I have 60 hours with no problems. Four regens so far.
I've got the L3901 with 6hrs on it. Love it so far, no regen yet. I run mine about 2,000 rpm and seems to work fine at it, I also have the BH77. It is worth its weight in gold. So far I am very pleased with My purchase. I also got the 66" QA bucket and R4 tires. The only complaint I have it the HST is so loud. My buddy has a Massey with HST and his is much much much quieter than mine.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I've got the L3901 with 6hrs on it. Love it so far, no regen yet. I run mine about 2,000 rpm and seems to work fine at it, I also have the BH77. It is worth its weight in gold. So far I am very pleased with My purchase. I also got the 66" QA bucket and R4 tires. The only complaint I have it the HST is so loud. My buddy has a Massey with HST and his is much much much quieter than mine.
Does his Massey have a rubber cover over the trans that doubles as a floor mat? I agree that the HST is loud and when I was researching tractors, some manufacturers made a point out of 'soundproofing' the HST this way. I'm wondering if that's all it takes?

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
Does his Massey have a rubber cover over the trans that doubles as a floor mat? I agree that the HST is loud and when I was researching tractors, some manufacturers made a point out of 'soundproofing' the HST this way. I'm wondering if that's all it takes?
The Kubota's with the rubber floor mat are the Grand L series, that's an upgrade with the series along with the larger platform and lots of other stuff.

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
You guys talk about the regeneration... what is that? Is that a tier 4 thing? I've got a L3540 and have not heard about the regen thing.

Enlighten me.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hi A.O., yes it is tier 4, regeneration is a process by which the soot particles trapped in the dpf, diesel particulate filter, are burned off every now and then. I have it on my 3560 but you don't on the preceding model of the same size. Requires running the tractor at a high rpm for about 15 min. If you are already running at that rpm, process is not particularly noticeable, engine sounds a little different.

Can you help on my Caroni question? See thread in implements?

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
:)
Looks like we have the same equipment right now, i only have 7 hours on mine so have not seen a regen yet. i have had the RPMs up at the PTO mark. but i don't like running it that high since it seems its too easy to get rammie with the HST and the loader valves.

Notice you have the BH77 how do you like it? it is one of the options i am considering down the road.
KennedyFarmer, like Speedymph1000 said, the BH77 is worth its weight in gold. My dealer actually tried to talk me out of it. I am awfully glad he wasn't successful. Probably half of my machines hours thus far have been hoe use.:)

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
I looked at the Massey's online, there is not a dealer near me for at least 75 miles. Wasn't worth the drive. Would have loved to include them. I did go to another Kubota dealer 45 mins away, got to drive a L3901 which i couldn't with the dealer that is 10mins away. They were trying to over charge me by over 4 grand by upcharging the tractor and implements and loading the tires with calcium. Then taking 6 grand giving me only really 2 grand off.

The loudness in the HST doesn't bother me too much however i had nothing to compare it with since the NH dealer didn't have anything in stock. Green didn't have any HST's but could order one, couldn't touch the price of a comparable machine.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
:)

KennedyFarmer, like Speedymph1000 said, the BH77 is worth its weight in gold. My dealer actually tried to talk me out of it. I am awfully glad he wasn't successful. Probably half of my machines hours thus far have been hoe use.:)
I hear a lot of people say that about their BH options. i think the dealers like to talk people out of them because 1) it probably is a big issue for them dealing with service on them 2) the don't like the people that get them then calling "hey how to I work this thing?"

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
My concerns with my L3901 is that it seems the loader is very powerful to the point it want's to flip the tractor. I also have the tippy feeling that people complain about. ordered wheel spacers, next i will load the tires, then i will get something on the back of the 3 point. Also I think my forks are too big for the tractor they gave me a set that can handle 3k lbs. I know the loader can't handle that weight.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I have my tires filled (R4's) plus I added 1000 lbs in wheel weights and it made a noticeable difference in the handling. Much more 'planted' on the hillside plus it helped my grapple work by smoothing out the lowering of the loader.

djm1204

Equipment
L4600 HST, FEL, Root Rake, Land Pride Grapple, Two way radio
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
I know that you are talking about the L3301 & L3901 - I have a L4600 - I went with it because I wanted the no regen motor, and that is all they could get me at the time.

Anyway, the L4600 has a heaver frame and loader and I also get the "tippy feeling" frequently. With either the loader bucket or the grapple on the front end, when I dig into something, and we are only talking the sand of west coast of Florida, the rear of the tractor - sometime both sides, sometimes only one side or the other lift off the ground. This usually happens when I am trying to remove some of the pesky palmetto bushes and the loader or grapple get stuck on some roots, lifts the rear of the tractor right off the ground - enough so that I always wear the seatbelt on the tractor now.

Dan
hot & sunny Florida

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
I have my tires filled (R4's) plus I added 1000 lbs in wheel weights and it made a noticeable difference in the handling. Much more 'planted' on the hillside plus it helped my grapple work by smoothing out the lowering of the loader.
I think Yooper has the right idea I am in the procces of widening the rear and loading it down.