What kind of chainsaw you have?

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
ECHO CS-310, 14" & CS-400, 18" saws here. For yard cleanup & firewood.

I guess I forgot about these too.

Remington 10' Pole Saw 10" chain & Chaps.

The great thing about them all is they are also ORANGE... :D

Attachments

Last edited:

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
This is my great grandson "Bubba". He got a new chainsaw for xmas last year.
I think he's headed for the legs on the dining room table. :D:D:D
He's the little guy I built the mini jeep for.

Attachments

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
No ethanol-free gas around me at gas stations. I get Mogas at an airport about 10 miles away.
My local ECHO dealer sells by the can, I think it's brigs and Stratton brand name if my memory serves me right. I think it was pricy though....
Mogas is and has been $4.95 a gallon for a long time where I get it. It is about twice as expensive as the stuff that contain ethanol but much cheaper than repairs and down time when you are trying to get something done. I usually get 5 gal at a time.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It is about twice as expensive as the stuff that contain ethanol but much cheaper than repairs and down time
I frigged around with my old trimmer for a couple seasons, bought a new one, and then reincarnated the old one.

Now, we can buy 91 Octane E-free at many stations in the area.

When I swore off ethanol gas for the small engines, a buddy a work said "that high-test ethanol free is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. I won't buy it!!"

Then his saw got bit by the ethanol. Shot/done/dead. Bought a new one.:mad:

He doesn't think E-free gas is too expensive any more.... :cool:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This is my great grandson "Bubba". He got a new chainsaw for xmas last year.
I think he's headed for the legs on the dining room table. :D:D:D
He's the little guy I built the mini jeep for.
Wolfman - - you got a cuttin' partner!! He might need snacks often - but I do too!!;)

I've known grown men that would still be dangerous with one of these machines!!:D

gsganzer

Mar 5, 2015
Denton, Texas
I bounce back and forth between Husky and Stihl. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Here's what I have oldest to newest:
Stihl 011 that must be close to 20years old and still runs like a champ. I have a Husky 225R brush cutter that is going on 15 years and still starts with 3 pulls. A Stihl Blower/Vac SH86C that's only about 6 years old, A Stihl KM130R Kombi power head with a chainsaw and tiller attachment.

This week, I take delivery on a new Husky 550XP w/16" and 20" bars. I looked at the Stihl MS261 but thought the Husky was better with slightly less weight and dimensions.

gsganzer

Mar 5, 2015
Denton, Texas
Regarding ethanol free gas. I've always bought premium high octane fuel for all my small engines (lawn mowers, tillers etc.) I use the premium fuel to make my 50:1 mix for the chainsaws using Stihl ultra 2-cycle oil.

I always assumed that the premium high octane was ethanol free, is that not the case? I'd hate to buy my fuel in those little quart premixed bottles. That would get expensive fast!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I always assumed that the premium high octane was ethanol free, is that not the case? I'd hate to buy my fuel in those little quart premixed bottles. That would get expensive fast!
I used to think same thing. Unless its advertised E-free, it has ethanol in it. Several stations now carry E-free premium. I think its 91 Octane.

I think the premium with ethanol is 93 octane?

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
CS-210 Echo (light/great for trimming)
028 Super Stihl (mid size 1990 yr-best damn saw I've ever had)
372 XP Husky (a beast with 28" bar)

Echo blower, Stihl pole saw, Stihl string trimmers.

If I had only one brand to pick from it would be Stihl, but do like my Husky and Echo stuff. My Stihl 028 Super is hands down the best saw I've ever had. 25 yrs old and runs like the day I bought it. It has cut a LOT of wood! The other notable tool I've got is a Stihl FS-250R string trimmer. It's no longer made and is one of the last old style 2 strokers........ strong as an ox! Cuts faster than I can walk :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The other notable tool I've got is a Stihl FS-250R string trimmer. It's no longer made and is one of the last old style 2 strokers........ strong as an ox! Cuts faster than I can walk :)
The 250 is/was a great weed/brush cutter!!

I looked at them, or something similar, in 1991 before I bought my FS86. IIRC, the 250 was 2 or 3 models bigger - biggest they made??

Just couldn't swing the extra bucks back then. I think OTD with some extras my 86 was $475 on 11/1/1991 (used to have the receipt).

The FS130 4 stroke was ~$400 a few years ago - just doesn't hold a candle to the Ol' Fart when it ran better. I hate to put much money into it after the ethanol gas got it. Runs OK, but not like it used to.:mad:

Huge $$$ back then, but well worth it I'm sure!! Great machine!!:D

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I am happy with my two Husqvarnas, but I would consider Stihl if I was into serious tree cutting. My hunting buddie’s nephew, Jeff, does some logging for a living and uses Stihl. The local hardware Husqvarna dealer convinced him to take out a Husqvarna for a test, Jeff brought it back the next day burned up. The dealer said they are good saws I must have given you a bad one try another one. The next day Jeff brought the second Husqvarna back burned up. The dealer said I am going out with you I want to see what you are doing. Jeff started the chainsaw wired down the trigger and started cutting, serious logger, the dealer had a fit you can’t run a chainsaw that way. Jeff gave him back the Husqvarna, started his Stihl wired down the trigger and got back to cutting.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm a little confused on the blowing up of the husqvarna with the throttle pinned :confused: I haven't had any issue with either of mine running all day long with the throttle wide open. Both tornados that came through here, that saw was run for days wide open. Ten to twelve hours at a time. Only time it was shut down was for fuel, oil, and a sharpen. And the majority of the time it was wide open till it ran out of fuel. Saw just got passed to a fresh back when it was refueled. It was also the only saw still going by the end of the day, with six or so others refusing to start till they cooled down.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have a couple buddies that have gotten new Huskys in the last year.

They have both had issues with Husky's "auto-tune"(?) electronics.

One couldn't make it run after day or two. They replaced it.

Other just can't get it to start well, and since its electronic, can't adjust the carb to make it better. Has had it back to dealer 3 or 4 times.

Don't know if new Stihls have electronics in them, but I'd rather go without.....

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I'm a little confused on the blowing up of the husqvarna with the throttle pinned I haven't had any issue with either of mine running all day long with the throttle wide open. Both tornados that came through here, that saw was run for days wide open. Ten to twelve hours at a time. Only time it was shut down was for fuel, oil, and a sharpen. And the majority of the time it was wide open till it ran out of fuel. Saw just got passed to a fresh back when it was refueled. It was also the only saw still going by the end of the day, with six or so others refusing to start till they cooled down.
Daren, I wasn’t there, but next time I get a chance I will ask what model Husqvarna saw was involved. Maybe the dealer was giving him undersized homeowner models instead of a good woodcutter saw. My Huskys are lightweight models as I do more trimming then cutting. I keep the chains sharp and they walk right through the 16 inch oak around here, but at my age I am not going to keep the saw running all day.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren, I wasn’t there, but next time I get a chance I will ask what model Husqvarna saw was involved. Maybe the dealer was giving him undersized homeowner models instead of a good woodcutter saw. My Huskys are lightweight models as I do more trimming then cutting. I keep the chains sharp and they walk right through the 16 inch oak around here, but at my age I am not going to keep the saw running all day.
No worry's :D I had the same issue with a 16" stihl :rolleyes: bought one around 18 years ago, and it spent more time in the shop getting fixed. One issue after the other. Got fed up and sold it. It's like everything else. Occasionally you find a lemon :D