Do, or Do not Deflate?

Kendrix

Equipment
BX23S, Excavator, Loader, Snow Blowing
Apr 23, 2019
PA
This will be my first winter with the BX23s with the front end snow blower attachment. I have the industrial tires. Any input on deflating the tires some in order to gain better traction a good, or bad idea?

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I would not deflate them. Are they loaded. I have R4 on my L 3301 and we have on the average 2 to 3 foot of snow on the ground and I have no problem. They do not grip good on ice but they work and it is easier than a shovel

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I would not deflate them. Are they loaded. I have R4 on my L 3301 and we have on the average 2 to 3 foot of snow on the ground and I have no problem. They do not grip good on ice but they work and it is easier than a shovel

I second. The cold will lower your psi enough naturally. You deflate in warmer temps and then get out in the cold and pop a tire off the rim, and you have a bigger problem. Those are small tires. Not much air to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
X3 on do not deflate. R4's generally have stiff sidewalls, and the footprint will likely not change much (if at all) with lower pressures. The risk of spinning a tire on the rim or rolling off the rim are real. At the beginning of a rare 35" blizzard in my area I rolled a front tire off the rim due to a slow leak and subsequent lower pressure. I was not happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Nope like everyone else said run them at pressure and you will be just fine, remember look at what you are going to do think it through, then sit back and think it through a second time. A little planing with your machine and your good to go :D

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
R4's generally have stiff sidewalls, and the footprint will likely not change much (if at all) with lower pressures.

Tire footprint will indeed grow as pressure is decreased. I deflated the R4 tires on my tractor(s) soon after they were delivered. In both cases they came inflated at about what the manual calls for R4's (which is way higher than it calls for R1's and R3's?) but the contact patch was really small. Basically on a smooth surface (looking at the tires from the rear) the tires only touched in the center. I lowered pressure just until the entire width of the tires were making contact and the improvement in traction and ride quality was immediately apparent. As I recall the pressure I ended up at was pretty close to what they spec for R3 tires.

Kendrix

Equipment
BX23S, Excavator, Loader, Snow Blowing
Apr 23, 2019
PA
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I appreciate it.

CO Hal

Equipment
MX4800, loader, bushhog, forklift, rear blade
Sep 10, 2019
Colorado Springs
How much is considered too deflated? I'm hauling heavy green 10' logs on my MX4800 w/ LA1065 loader & pallet tines. I have rear wheel weights and ballast box. It was recommended to me that I keep the fronts at recommended R4 pressure but run the rear R4s at 15-20 psi.

Good advice or bad?

Thanks in advance. Hal

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Does the lower pressures also weaken the sidewall like it does on rv tires ?
It may weaken them overtime because of the unnecessary stress. I’m not sure.

As said, industrials have thick sidewalls. Not a good idea to deflate them IMO.

CO Hal

Equipment
MX4800, loader, bushhog, forklift, rear blade
Sep 10, 2019
Colorado Springs
Thanks for the replies, especially 'Oliver'. I thought I had watched every Tractor Mike video, but somehow missed this one. I'm going to start at lower range of 'acceptable' in the rears and see how the ride and stability are. RTR

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
You're more than welcome Hal. Some years back a farmer neighbor pointed out that my tires looked a little overinflated because the edges of the tires were not making contact at all. I said I know they're about correct because I check pressure regularly. He said forget what's on the sidewall or in the manual and explained, inflate one rear tire the pressure is correct when the edge just barely starts to rise off the pavement and make the other tire the same. Same on the fronts. Since then I've read many tractor operators say basically the same thing.
In my case I adjusted pressure with the ballast box on because I either have an implement or the ballast box on the rear. I did fronts with the bucket full of dirt which is probably about average between empty or filled with stone.

The extra traction is really apparent (and needed) in snow where R4's aren't that great to begin with.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm on my 2nd set of R4s on my BX23S with less than 220hrs ( 16 mths). Maybe a bad batch of rubber, but sidewalls had 19 'blisters'. Kubota still can't give me a true allowable 'payload' for the tractor(3000# gross). They 'say' I can have 750# on the loader(- bucket) BUT the tires are only rated for 860# each @ 22PSI.
If you let air out, say to 19 PSI, for a flatter tire that WILL affect load capability , though WHERE you find out the 'numbers' is anyone's guess. It'd be interesting to KNOW what your snowblower setup weighs in at.
I'm currently building my own selfpowered SSQA snowblower and IF I have traction problems, I'll toss on some chains.

Jay