Brush Hog Recommendation

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Looking for a used 10’ brush hog for mainly pasture work. I already have a 6’ for trails and heavy brush. Looking to maximize when mowing pastures. Not wanting to break the bank either. What brand would you recommend and about how much do you think they would be worth.

Thanks,

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Looking for a used 10’ brush hog for mainly pasture work. I already have a 6’ for trails and heavy brush. Looking to maximize when mowing pastures. Not wanting to break the bank either. What brand would you recommend and about how much do you think they would be worth.

Thanks,
I sold a very slightly used Woods MDS 1260 10 1/2' mounted cutter about a year ago for $6,000.

Not fond of large rigid cutters unless your ground is quite flat. I replaced mine with a Woods BW15.50. It cuts and follows the ground MUCH better.

SDT

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Rhino has TS10, a 10 foot flex wing mower. A low hp mower. I have not been able to find much info on them. However the idea of it sure looks interesting.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I personally don't like 10' cutters unless you're ground is almost perfectly flat. I'd suggest a batwing. You can get a 10' single wing or if you have enough tractor maybe a 12' or 15' would fit the bill.

A big plus to a pull type cutter is if you have a open station they don't sling no where near as much trash on your back. I always hated hot summer days and what felt like half the grass you just cut is trapped in your underwear.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Thanks all for the suggestions. I have about 52 PTO HP. It is the MX5800 so I do not think anything over 10 foot would be that great. I do not have flat ground so the bat wing is a good option but then requires rear remotes. I wish I would have added them when I bought the tractor.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, I'm curious.. why are you mowing pastures? Isn't that what 4 legged critters are for ? Maybe local farmer will rent your acreage to graze his herd or grow feed crops on it ?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thanks all for the suggestions. I have about 52 PTO HP. It is the MX5800 so I do not think anything over 10 foot would be that great. I do not have flat ground so the bat wing is a good option but then requires rear remotes. I wish I would have added them when I bought the tractor.
Your tractor is neither big enough nor heavy enough for a 10' mounted cutter unless it is very light duty. Depending upon what you are cutting, an 8' cutter will be pushing it.

I would consider one of the newer 12' BW cutters. Ideally you would have two remotes but you can get by with one.

SDT

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
OK, I'm curious.. why are you mowing pastures? Isn't that what 4 legged critters are for ? Maybe local farmer will rent your acreage to graze his herd or grow feed crops on it ?
Jay, a pasture is mowed often times before any weeds go to seed to reduce future weed crops. It can be mowed 8-10" high and still leave nice leafy grass for the critters.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have to agree with SDT. I don't think you have enough tractor for a 10' cutter. My 8' Bushhog weighs over 2000 lbs and I've had it choke down my open station M9000 before almost to the point of killing the engine. A 3pt cutter than big puts a lot more strain on the tractor than a pull type does. But without remotes you're very limited on what you can use.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Have to agree with SDT. I don't think you have enough tractor for a 10' cutter. My 8' Bushhog weighs over 2000 lbs and I've had it choke down my open station M9000 before almost to the point of killing the engine. A 3pt cutter than big puts a lot more strain on the tractor than a pull type does. But without remotes you're very limited on what you can use.
So if I can get remotes would my tractor operate a 10 foot pull type as you suggest? I am only cutting pasture ground. I have a farmer baling hay but this year we had so much rain he did not get to a second cut. I just wanted a nice field for the winter and be ready for next year. As far as cows go I have a lot of fencing to replace before that can happen. We just bought the farm about 2 years ago and I am rebuilding things as I go. I would guess about 4 miles of fence needs to be replaced.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
So if I can get remotes would my tractor operate a 10 foot pull type as you suggest? I am only cutting pasture ground. I have a farmer baling hay but this year we had so much rain he did not get to a second cut. I just wanted a nice field for the winter and be ready for next year. As far as cows go I have a lot of fencing to replace before that can happen. We just bought the farm about 2 years ago and I am rebuilding things as I go. I would guess about 4 miles of fence needs to be replaced.
Again, I would recommend a 12' BW.

It will pull less hard than a 10' twin spindle and follow the ground MUCH better.

Yes, you can pull it if cover is not too heavy and you do not expect to travel too fast.

SDT

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The Rhino TS 10 that I wrote about says it will run on a 25 - 50 hp tractor. It is a 3 piece bat wing that needs only one hydraulic line since gravity is used to lower the wings. I do not know for sure but I would think you cold run a line from the FEL to fold it up.

https://www.rhinoag.com ***8250; products ***8250; rotary-cutters ***8250; flex-wing ***8250; ts10

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'd say for pastures you'd be fine. Pull type are just easier on the tractor as far as handling the weight of the cutter. You may even concider a 12' batwing. Normally I would say no way due to the low hp tractor but if pastures are all it will be cutting it may work fine.

One good thing about a batwing over other cutters is once you get it all turning up to speed it will carry the power thru short burst of thick grass better than a single cutter will.

Just keep in mind once you go batwing you'll never go back if you cut very much. I have a 5', 6', 8' and 15'. I can't remember when I used anything but the 15'. I know last time I did use the 8' I didn't ever think I would get done. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.