Kubota L4740

Fastenough

Oct 17, 2019
Murray ky
Hi im new to the forum and also my Kubota tractor is new to me. I purchased the 4740 gst with 381 hrs on it and want to do the 400 hr service. When checking the hydraulic fluid level is the dip stick pushed completely in or to just where the rubber seal on the dip stick touches the housing? The rubber seal is close to an inch long and would make a big difference. Thanks for your time.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Re: Kubotal4740

An oil level is usually measured with the dipstick fully inserted. Be sure your FEL and three point are fully lowered to put their fluid back into the reservoir.

Fastenough

Oct 17, 2019
Murray ky

Thank you for your reply. I've drained the hydraulic fluid from both drain plugs until not a drip remained, installed a new kubota filter. The lift arms are completely down and the FEL in the up position. The manual calls foe 11.4 gallon I've put 9 gallon and 1 quart and the level is at the top Mark on the stick pushed completely in. I've run it and shut it down and was check 30 minutes later. Appears all the fluid ( 2 plus gallon) don't drain or the manual is wrong. Ever heard of this?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta

Thank you for your reply. I've drained the hydraulic fluid from both drain plugs until not a drip remained, installed a new kubota filter. The lift arms are completely down and the FEL in the up position. The manual calls foe 11.4 gallon I've put 9 gallon and 1 quart and the level is at the top Mark on the stick pushed completely in. I've run it and shut it down and was check 30 minutes later. Appears all the fluid ( 2 plus gallon) don't drain or the manual is wrong. Ever heard of this?
Did you remove the drain plugs at the bottom of the two rear final drives?

Fastenough

Oct 17, 2019
Murray ky

Yes i replaced the filter. I removed 2 drain plugs the rear plug between the rear wheels and the other plug about mid way of the tractor.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Yes i replaced the filter. I removed 2 drain plugs the rear plug between the rear wheels and the other plug about mid way of the tractor.
So no, you didn't drain the final drives, that would be a reason for the difference.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA

I just carefully reread the posts. I note you left the FEL in the up position. That would put its cylinders full of fluid. They should have been down to be sure the fluid was emptied from them. That may be the cause of your volume discrepancy.

Fastenough

Oct 17, 2019
Murray ky

Sorry for the typo the fel was in the down position and the lift arms in the down position. As far as final drives as per the manual I removed both drain plugs shown for the GST. I will look this morning to see if there are 2 other plugs.

Last edited:

Fastenough

Oct 17, 2019
Murray ky

Sure enough, there are 2 other small drain plugs at the final drives and looks like each one would hold about a gallon each. Note made thanks for the help.

LaMere906

Equipment
L4740
Feb 16, 2021
U.P Eh

So no, you didn't drain the final drives, that would be a reason for the difference.
I guess I am in same boat, I put 10 gallons in my L4740, I did the drain between the rear tires and mid way down tractor, so there's two more plugs some where's for mid drives?