B2601 Hydraulic Oil Level

msmcknight

Equipment
B2601
Oct 30, 2017
Statesville, NC, USA
Hi Everyone,

I just did my first HST and Suction filter change and have some questions. I'll ask forgiveness in advance if this is a bit elementary, but I'm still pretty new at all of this...

When I changed the filters I lost probably 1/2 to 3/4 quart of oil. Just a rough guess looking at was in the drain pan. This includes the fluid that drained out of the used filters.

After the work was done, I checked the fluid level using the dipstick at the 3-pt hitch area. The dipstick shows oil about 1cm above the top "safe zone" bump.

What has me the most confused is that when I open the oil inlet (fill hole) and look into it with a flashlight, there's no oil in there. I mean, it's damp, but I thought that was the reservoir and expected it to be full of fluid. There's no oil pooled in the area at all. Is that normal? It looks like there are gears in there for the 3pt hitch and if they aren't submerged in fluid, how do they stay lubricated?

This makes me question the amount of fluid reported by the dipstick. I bet I checked it 20 times and each time the result was the same... 1cm above the top "safe zone"bump. If that's true, and I lost 1/2 qt'ish when changing the filters, how high must it have been to start with? Is it too high now at 1cm above? I've never messed with the fluid before so whatever was in it was there when the dealership delivered it.

After I changed the filters, I drove the tractor, raised/lowered the loader, dump, curl, raised/lowered the 3pt with 600lbs on it. All functions seem normal.

I just need a little reassurance I've not messed anything up.

Thanks to you all in advance,
-Michael

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Go by the dipstick, period. Doesn’t matter if you can see the level or not.

The fact that your a little over is a common observation. You should fill to the stick, and not the stated quantity from the manual. You won’t get every last drop out of the tractor when draining.

Personally I would take a little out if it hasn’t come down to full after a little running. We recently had a member whose tractor was ejecting some fluid out of the vent while running over-full.

I’m sure you haven’t damaged anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
You can’t see the level through the fill hole. It holds a lot, so half a quart isn’t much. Don’t worry that some parts aren’t submerged, when it’s running, oil goes everywhere it needs to.