Being new doesn't make it perfect.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I was happy to purchase my new L2501, but two days in a row, I have had issues that have hindered completion of projects and has/will waste time. Yesterday, I finally attached my Everything Attachments grapple to the loader for the first time, plugged it in, cranked the tractor, hit the 3rd function button.....and nothing. I really needed the grapple in the morning. Troubleshooting, I realized the fuse on the hot wire for the 3rd function was blown. Turns out, the dealer had installed the electrical line from the battery zip tied between the hydraulic line and frame near the joystick and it had chafed through causing a short. I got that sorted out with a new fuse after I had wasted two that I had to scrounge and find. A fringe benefit of all this is I learned a pack of 5 10-amp fuses at Wal-Mart costs $4.00 now. :(

Anyway, happy to be up and going today, I was running the grapple for about 10 minutes, look down at my right foot and see hydraulic fluid spraying everywhere. I immediately shut off the tractor, check the fittings under the deck by the filter and one is hand loose....several turns loose. I just left the tractor sitting in the field. I think I can see a little fluid in the window, but will just add some there until I run it again.

For those with new tractors, it might not hurt to check the fittings. I think I'm going to check mine over once I get it back in the barn.

Now, I have to buy some expensive hydraulic fluid. :eek:

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
I was happy to purchase my new L2501, but two days in a row, I have had issues that have hindered completion of projects and has/will waste time. Yesterday, I finally attached my Everything Attachments grapple to the loader for the first time, plugged it in, cranked the tractor, hit the 3rd function button.....and nothing. I really needed the grapple in the morning. Troubleshooting, I realized the fuse on the hot wire for the 3rd function was blown. Turns out, the dealer had installed the electrical line from the battery zip tied between the hydraulic line and frame near the joystick and it had chafed through causing a short. I got that sorted out with a new fuse after I had wasted two that I had to scrounge and find. A fringe benefit of all this is I learned a pack of 5 10-amp fuses at Wal-Mart costs $4.00 now. :(

Anyway, happy to be up and going today, I was running the grapple for about 10 minutes, look down at my right foot and see hydraulic fluid spraying everywhere. I immediately shut off the tractor, check the fittings under the deck by the filter and one is hand loose....several turns loose. I just left the tractor sitting in the field. I think I can see a little fluid in the window, but will just add some there until I run it again.

For those with new tractors, it might not hurt to check the fittings. I think I'm going to check mine over once I get it back in the barn.

Now, I have to buy some expensive hydraulic fluid. :eek:
Should not the dealer take care of all of this? Granted it is a huge pain to wait for them, they should make it all good. Sounds to me like all dealer induced issues and they should be sending service truck out, pronto, to get it all correct as well as do a complete check over of the tractor which was not done the first time.

Just my humble opinion and we all know what that is worth...

GD

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
Thanks for sharing - but both of those problems are on the shoulders of the dealer who installed the 3rd function. I'm not arguing that the 2501 is perfect, but those situations shouldn't reflect Kubota's delivery quality - but rather the dealer's incompetence.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
You are both correct, it should be a dealer issue. However, I was in a time crunch as rains in any more amount and frequency here could prohibit access to the back field from which I needed to work with the grapple and it is supposed to rain again tomorrow. I was going to contact the dealer about the 3rd function today, but figured it out and corrected the problem. They would have taken care of it, I have no doubt. But, I was going to mention it next time I stopped in to tell them not to run the wire that way. Maybe it would help someone else.

The hydraulic fitting certainly bothered me more. Technically, I should not have to buy more fluid for a loose fitting on a new tractor. I don't think I lost much though, but won't know until I top it off. I have no idea how much it needs. I think I can see a little in the window.

I wasn't trying to bash the dealer. They have been good so far. The bumper plate that was left off some L2501s, addressed in another thread, was no issue with them. They ordered me one free of charge.

I guess the point I was trying to make is not to assume everything is right on a machine because it is new. A little OCD early on with it might not hurt. I plan to do a good once over as best I know how once I get it back in the barn, and definitely check to see if the fittings are snug.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
You are correct about letting others know your experiences.

Back 5 years when I bought my tractor, everyone on here was telling me to check everything for tightness and fit as it seemed to be common for things to be loose. They were really pushing for checking the lug-nuts as they seemed to be the most overlooked.

I was lucky that my dealer took great care in testing before delivery and I had no issues.

As for the hydraulic fluid, I would make the dealer provide all that was needed to get it back where it belonged.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
My last 2 Kubota tractors came with loose hydraulic connections. One loose fel hose (drip), and all of the rear remotes on my most recent machine.
Always a good idea to go over a new machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I stopped at the dealer today and told my story. The salesman asked if they needed to do anything about the shorted wire. I said it was repaired, just let the mechanics know not to run the wired pinched between the hydraulic line and loader frame.

I was given a 5-gallon bucket of fluid no charge. There was no excuses made and the salesman readily agreed it was probably left too loose. I had to add probably over 3 gallons to get back to normal. It was good to get the tractor going again. I was able to finish moving all the brush and some rocks with the grapple this evening. So, all turned out well.

RJ, I'll know better next time if I ever do buy another new one. I suppose it applies to used ones as well.

Yeah, Mickey, I need to check the lug nuts. The salesman even brought it up when I told him I was going to go over all the fittings and such so I won't have a repeat event. I just noticed you're from Guin. Not far from me.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Yeah, Mickey, I need to check the lug nuts. The salesman even brought it up when I told him I was going to go over all the fittings and such so I won't have a repeat event. I just noticed you're from Guin. Not far from me.
Very true. In fact I was in Decatur on Saturday. We stopped and ate at Applebee's and watched the start of the Alabama game.

Back when they were trying to get the steel mill going, I did a lot of work at the Worthington Steel plant.

Which side of Decatur are you on?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I've seen this happen a few times in the last, gosh, "few years".

Why, would one ask, since dealers are supposed to be loaded with professionals??

Time.

Never fails, you show up in the morning expecting a "slow" day (maybe 2 tractor/loader packages to be assembled and prepped). At 1600, salesman comes back and says put this third function valve on and hook up the grapple by 1700 (quitting time). A couple hours' work. Sure, one can "hurry" and do it faster-but will it be done correctly while in a rush?

Yes same issues...blowed fuse on the 3rd function. It happens too often but now you know (usually) why it happens.

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
I've seen this happen a few times in the last, gosh, "few years".

Why, would one ask, since dealers are supposed to be loaded with professionals??

Time.

Never fails, you show up in the morning expecting a "slow" day (maybe 2 tractor/loader packages to be assembled and prepped). At 1600, salesman comes back and says put this third function valve on and hook up the grapple by 1700 (quitting time). A couple hours' work. Sure, one can "hurry" and do it faster-but will it be done correctly while in a rush?

Yes same issues...blowed fuse on the 3rd function. It happens too often but now you know (usually) why it happens.

Copying from someone on this forum " You Can have it Right, OR you can have it Now - But unlikely to have it RIGHT NOW!"

Especially true as I get older..