Kubota Super UDT Fluid

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
"compatible" means nothing.

"meets specification" means nothing.

There is no specification published for Kubota Super UDT2 so how can anything be "compatible" or "same spec"?

It might come from the same company or even factory as Plutonium does but that doesn't mean it's the same thing. Companies commonly will have different production runs for different products, or different areas of the same exact factory for completely different (or even "similar") products. So even if SUDT2 comes from "Valvoline" (or whoever), one cannot ASSume that it is the same as Valvoline hydraulic oil (brand used for example ONLY).

An assumption is simple. It makes an ass out of u and me. Therefore, don't assume anything. Prove it and teach everyone.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Are you saying you read that Ashland makes S-UDT2 in the SDS? Or did you read it somewhere else?

The MSDS provided by Kubota Canada clearly states that "Premium UDT" (Canada only -- not available in the US) is made by Shell Canada.

However, that does not mean it is simply re-badged. I compared the specs (viscosity, pour point, etc.) with all of Shell's own brands and there is no match. As far as I can tell, it is a unique formulation.

And that may be true of the various Kubota US lubricants as well. Even if the actual manufacturer can be confirmed, it does not mean the same stuff is available under the manufacturer's own label. They may be unique formulations, exclusive to Kubota.

Kubota seems to confirm that their fluid formulations differ by market in this paper presented to SAE:

This passage included in some Kubota owner's manuals (M5660, B2650, B3350 and possibly others) also aludes to it:

BTW: apparently there has been at least one instance of counterfeiting SUDT: http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=82817&postcount=1 .
In the US it’s made my Ashland. As mentioned, I’m not sure who does it in Canada, but it looks like you found the answer.

I agree with you as I seriously doubt it’s simply rebadged fluid made by whoever depending on the region. Just buy the Kubota stuff from a highly regarded vendor wherever you live and life will be good.

KV Bruce

Equipment
L47TLH
Oct 5, 2019
Kern River Valley
Thanks to everyone for their input. I enjoy reading the forum in the morning, learning from the more experienced. (the morning news is never good) I really didn't mean to "stir the pot" but respectable conversation is always healthy. Our L47 is such an upgrade from the Ford 3400 that it's parked next to. Cheers!

Soybreedingboy77

Oct 12, 2019
Watseka, IL
What facts do you base this on?
I base this on the situation that S-UDT-2 came about the same time as the M7 tractor. The M7 tractor transmissions are manufactured by ZF which is AGCO's transmission subsidiary. The specs on that fendt transmission are very precise, AGCO came with 821XL from 821 when the CVTs were first released.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I base this on the situation that S-UDT-2 came about the same time as the M7 tractor. The M7 tractor transmissions are manufactured by ZF which is AGCO's transmission subsidiary. The specs on that fendt transmission are very precise, AGCO came with 821XL from 821 when the CVTs were first released.
This is what you stated, "If you have an AGCO or Massey dealer closer their 821xl is the same as Kubota S-UDT-2."

Your answer is pure speculation. You have no actual evidence the product you mention is the same as SUDT2.

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
Hi All I have a question. What does UDT stand for.
I have been using Tractor Supply Hy/Trans 10W30 for all of my changes.
Tractor is 41 yrs old and I change at about 100 hours.
I have just bought 5 gal for under 40 dollars.
It says Kubota compatable.
I do have a hydraulic cylinder on my dozer blade .
3 point works fine.
Anybody have any ideas if I am doing the wrong thing???
Thanks David

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Universal Dynamic Tractor oil.

If you have an HST unit, use UDT type oil. It is less critical in an older, gear drive machine.