Mice

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
So how do different ones keep mice out of the engine?

I have been using my tractor at least once a week if not more and yesterday, found a mouse nest in the engine.

Cleaned out the nest and inspected the wires, didn't see any damage. I sprayed the engine with this natural mice be gone stuff (I don't know if i believe it will work (One Gallon Rodent Repellent for Vehicle Wiring- Protects Engines Wiring from Rodents Nesting/Chewing-All Natural-Rats, Squirrels)).

I placed some moth balls in a couple of areas. I always purchased a couple of Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent - Environmentally Friendly, Keeps Mice Out packets to see if they work.

Finally, I bought some mouse/rat bait stations to try to kill them off.

Any other suggestions?

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
So how do different ones keep mice out of the engine?

I have been using my tractor at least once a week if not more and yesterday, found a mouse nest in the engine.

Cleaned out the nest and inspected the wires, didn't see any damage. I sprayed the engine with this natural mice be gone stuff (I don't know if i believe it will work (One Gallon Rodent Repellent for Vehicle Wiring- Protects Engines Wiring from Rodents Nesting/Chewing-All Natural-Rats, Squirrels)).

I placed some moth balls in a couple of areas. I always purchased a couple of Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent - Environmentally Friendly, Keeps Mice Out packets to see if they work.

Finally, I bought some mouse/rat bait stations to try to kill them off.

Any other suggestions?
A Bucket trap will get them

Reactions: 1 user

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Pop the hood when you***8217;re done.

Makes it less enclosed and appealing.

Reactions: 1 user

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
We have two cats, one of the is a good mouser, but I still get a nest on the engine now and again. I have posted this before, but this is where they keep building their nest. I have to take the FEL off to be able to get to it. I use a bent metal coat hanger (I have a stash of them) to pull the fiberglass out. They get it from the blanket around my wood burning boiler.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The nest I had was right up front next to the battery. They had grass, weeds, and found some paper towels from somewhere to place in the nest.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yes, I put moth balls in an old sock and tie it shut. Place the sock under the hood out of the way of moving parts and keep it filled.

Little Orange

Equipment
Kubota BX25D TLB, hitch frame, FEL forks, 3pt steel ballast and back blade
Dec 8, 2013
Comox Valley, BC Canada
• Capsaicin tape, saturated with hot pepper essence, and intended to be wrapped around your tasty bioplastic-coated wiring. Alternatively, you can coat your wires with hot sauce or pepper spray — but make sure to tell any mechanics you visit that you are using these spicy methods.
• Infinity Pro, an odor and smoke elimination spray that also can act as a natural pest and rodent repellent
• Peppermint oil
• Pine-Sol-soaked towels or rags on and around the tires. You can also put these under the hood, but remember to remove them before driving.
• Mothballs, placed under the hood and around the tires
• Fox urine, powdered or liquid
• Used cat litter
• Dog and cat hair
I use dog hair in a open weave bag and wash the floor with Pine-sol also soak some old wood short board with pine-sol and set under the tractor away but near the wheels/tires. yes the pine-sol stinks but that is the point.

the tape does not work tastes like candy and is more of an attachment.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I don’t know if it works with mice, but I used to tell people to leave a light on in attics prone to bats. It works.
Couple that with an open hood.....
Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Leave hood open, moth balls, and mouse traps I use the old fashioned kind with peanut butter on the trigger.

I've considered picking up a cat from the local shelter and after acclimating it to my garage (its new home) installing a cat door so it can come and go.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I've had one nest in three years with my little guy, stored in a three sided shelter. Fortunately, the damage was limited to a strip of foam weatherstriping. But I check the tractor nearly every day since. At least the wires do not appear to be 'mouse food' insulation.

Michigankubota

Equipment
B2650 Loader,LX 2980-64 Blower ,60”MMM , Land Pride 60”Box Blade.
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
Get yourself some bait that’s in prebaited Baitstations form Walmart or TS. Set them in the corners of your garage and on the either sides of your overhead doors.
Also use them on the outside perimeter of your building. If you can swing it First Strike soft poison out preforms any block bait on the market. But it’s pricey. Pick up some rain gutter down spout and cut in about 8 inch lengths. Pick up some Kness plastic mouse traps and set on the inside of each end of the down spout. Place those traps along your interior perimeter walls. Mice run along walls while traveling.
Poison bait on the exterior of your buildings/ boiler is a must to reduce the pressure/population on the inside of your buildings.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I purchased mouse/rat poison traps. I will place them around the barn. The barn is dirt/rock floor, so critters get to come and go as they please.

I tossed an old sock in the vehicle, so I will be filling it with mothballs and placing it in the engine when not in use.

I'm also going to try the lifting the hood to see if that helps.

Unfortunately, this is an old barn, does decent on keeping the rain off the tractor, but not much else.

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
I did the bait stations all around the property. As well as the Tom cat sticks in the corners of the building with a "v" shaped piece of plywood with cut outs screwed to the corners. This really took care of the mice.