My tractor is currently stuck...

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
So I got greedy while flail mowing with my L2501...backed into a ditch with a muddy bottom and sides too steep to climb out of, even with the diff lock and 4x4 engaged. The tractor is probably at a 70 degree angle perpendicular to the flow of the ditch. It was hard to dismount. This is at a jobsite, and I happen to have my MX4800 on site as well which I'm confident will have no issue yanking the smaller 2501 out of the ditch. I didn't have any chain or straps, hence not making an attempt already. So the 2501 sat overnight in that position, and I may not get to it until tomorrow. My plan is to put the 2501 in neutral HST, pull it out, and my real question and purpose of this post...should I wait awhile to start the engine? Let the oil settle? How long?

Thanks in advance.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
If the tractor is more or less level and will be except when being yanked out, I'd say you are good to go.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
If the tractor is more or less level and will be except when being yanked out, I'd say you are good to go.
No, it's currently sitting at a 70-degree angle nose to tail, and will have sat that way at least 24 hours. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would let it sit for a day, it's unlikely that you've gotten oil into the cylinder, but leaning on the side of caution might save you a real headache. ;)

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I'm with Wolfman, no harm in letting it sit for a time. HST, oil, etc. will be able to seek their normal levels. Bit of time is cheap insurance.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I couldn't see the angle when I backed in since it was obscured by foliage. I had made two successful back-in passes and then suddenly the slope steepened. I should have been more careful, but I knew the risk of a rollover or harm to the tractor was very little.

I'd rather not drag it out and wait another day since it is on a jobsite...I'm thinking pull it out, let it sit 20 minutes, then fire it up so I can drive it up on my trailer...unless you guys think serious damage can be done. The tractor is not laying on it's side or upside down...

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
70 degrees is a lot. If you want to be safe, it only takes a few minutes to pull the glow plugs out , and freely spin the engine, put them back in, start.

I wouldn’t worry about the HST, it’s fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Once out, I'd jacknife the trailer and tow onto trailer. Or probably be able to push it on,if there's a person to steer it for you.
It's not just engine oil but HST oil,diesel to be cautious about.
After an hour of so, then try starting it up.
A little paranoid is OK...
good luck !

Jay

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
I'm thinking pull it out, let it sit 20 minutes, then fire it up
If you know where the engine oil level was, check it after a few minutes sitting level. Will not take log for liquids to flow back. Even cold oil. Me, I would start it.

GD

Last edited:

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
If you know where the engine oil level was, check it after a few minutes sitting level.

GD
Yeah, that's a good point. I'm not at all concerned about the HST or diesel fuel, not sure where folks were getting that. It was running fine on that angle, just stuck. My only concern is engine oil pooling in areas where it shouldn't.

I could attempt to tow / push the machine back on to the trailer, but that would be difficult without another person, which unfortunately I won't have available.

I'll pull it out, give it some time, check the oil, fire it up.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think pulling the GP's is a waste of time. The machine is leaning to the rear at a 70 deg. angle. How is any fluid getting the the front of the engine, on top of the pistons?

Troverman, to be cautious, you could simple pull the 2501 out the the ditch with your bigger tractor and then just keep it hooked up and pull it onto a trailer. Just pull right beside your truck as you back up the big tractor. You'll need someone to steer to 2501 so it goes straight. Then let it set for a few hours, at least.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Since it's on a job site, your plan sounds solid.
On the other hand, if it were mine on my own property, it'd be "game on, challenge accepted". I'd drop the pressure in the tires to near nothing, use the backhoe and bucket for leverage, 4x4 and locking the diff. Once I got it out, I'd back the jeep down into the same spot and see if it drives out any easier. I'm kinda warped that way ;)

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Since it's on a job site, your plan sounds solid.
On the other hand, if it were mine on my own property, it'd be "game on, challenge accepted". I'd drop the pressure in the tires to near nothing, use the backhoe and bucket for leverage, 4x4 and locking the diff. Once I got it out, I'd back the jeep down into the same spot and see if it drives out any easier. I'm kinda warped that way ;)
I'm like that too (spent years in an off-road club running an old, modified Range Rover Classic) but in this case it won't work. The angle is so steep the bucket cannot reach down and touch the ground. There is a flail mower on the back, not a backhoe. And the rear tires are filled with BallastStar so letting the small amount of air still in them out won't really change anything. It simply needs to get dragged out.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I'm like that too (spent years in an off-road club running an old, modified Range Rover Classic) but in this case it won't work. The angle is so steep the bucket cannot reach down and touch the ground. There is a flail mower on the back, not a backhoe. And the rear tires are filled with BallastStar so letting the small amount of air still in them out won't really change anything. It simply needs to get dragged out.
Totally agree, his needs to get pulled out.

That's why I said 'mine on my land'. I have turfs which when low on pressure act like trials tires if you are familiar with those. My backhoe is almost always on and I'd rig up extenders for the bucket (think downward forks). Of course it would severely tear up the ditch and make a huge mess, possibly break parts and need to be pulled out eventually. But the challenge is the fun of it. Definitely not the smartest solution, more of a "hold my beer, watch this" event. For me it sure beats sitting inside being bored.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I think pulling the GP's is a waste of time. The machine is leaning to the rear at a 70 deg. angle. How is any fluid getting the the front of the engine, on top of the pistons?

Troverman, to be cautious, you could simple pull the 2501 out the the ditch with your bigger tractor and then just keep it hooked up and pull it onto a trailer. Just pull right beside your truck as you back up the big tractor. You'll need someone to steer to 2501 so it goes straight. Then let it set for a few hours, at least.
70 degrees is pretty close to vertical. If the oil level is above the rings on the back piston some of it could leak past the rings into the cylinder and hydro-lock the rear piston, which could cause the rod to bend if you started it prematurely without clearing the oil out. I'd pull the glow plugs on the rear cylinders and spin it over just to be on the safe side if you don't have time to let it sit.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
If you've ever seen someone start a rotary aircraft engine that's been sitting for a while, they pull the bottom plugs, then when the engine starts the cylinders on the bottom smoke for a little bit while the oil burns off.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Wait a minute. You all gave good advice but the most important question is still unanswered.

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES????????

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
My self once it came out of that hole I would let her sit a couple hours at least maybe even next day.Maybe nuttin got where it wasnt suppose to go maybe it did why chance it