First 50 hour service overkill?

Jason G

Equipment
2014 B2650 and 1981 T1400 (Mainly my back)
Sep 19, 2014
Monticello Fl
New B2650 is ready for her 1st 50hr service. Manual states oil, oil filter, and HST filter only. I've read where others go beyond that. What's your thoughts? Also, manual isn't specific about what engine weight oil to use. I live in north florida, where cold isn't an issue. Thanks all!

Attachments

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
First and foremost ,, use genuine Kubota oil and filters while under warranty . Good idea to cover your own behind just in case any warranty work happens . As far as oil weight 10w30 for the engine is just fine . If your machine is HST you may want to change the hydraulic fluid also . I know there are those who say you don't need to but I think it is a good idea and here is why . I run a machine shop in a company that builds concrete preparation equipment . Our bigger machines actually have a lot in common with our machines as far as the hydraulics go . And try as you may , after machining, after assembly, being as clean as you possibly can , residue from the processes does get in there . And that's not good stuff either .
When I changed mine at fifty hours the screen on the HST was covered with stuff from assembly . Will it hurt anything ? Perhaps , perhaps not . But for what theses new tractors cost ,, I think its cheap insurance .
I'm sure others will disagree . But what's a hundred dollars on twenty thousand machine .

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I drain the hydro fluid in a clean container looking for any small pieces of metal, there may be some very small pieces but not a lot. This is normal but I want them out of there. Filter the fluid and reinstall.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I also feel if you can afford to buy the tractor, it is foolish to not change the hydraulic fluid at 50 hours also. Mine came out very dark compared to what it looks like now at 174 hours.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
New B2650 is ready for her 1st 50hr service. Manual states oil, oil filter, and HST filter only. I've read where others go beyond that. What's your thoughts? Also, manual isn't specific about what engine weight oil to use. I live in north florida, where cold isn't an issue. Thanks all!
Hi Jason. Congrats on the new machine. I see you're close by. I'm in Leon County, but only 8 miles from Monticello. I grew up there and went to school at JCHS.

I've got a 2014 M5140 which is nearing the 50 hr service. The manual says to change the hydraulic filters and the fluid. Not sure why different Kubota tractors have different requirements at the 50 hr mark. Mine is a gear tranny. You would think the HST tractor would need the fluid change even more so than the gear version. Just my opinion, but I would change out the hydraulic fluid as well. Someone here stated that they thought the 50 hr service was the most important service, I would agree.

Question for you folks. My manual doesn't require the fuel filter (spin on) to be replaced at 50 hrs, but the dealer says it's a good idea. What do you guys think? I bought a new one just to have one on hand.

Mark

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Tell you what, I use big "K" filters cause they don't cross, they might, but I haven't found it yet. Oil a sync diesel oil since fist oil change, any name brand is good stuff. Fuel filters NAPA, Hydro pull the screen and have large CLEAN containers very close a lot will come out, I filtered mine through paint strainers wasn't even dark, I did find some metal in the filter I guess they cant wash them out to well, being in the filter they didn't get into anything.200 hours I replaced it SUDT its not cheap by any means, but it did quiet down the hydo whine some.
One last thing, there is a LAW that states a dealer cannot void your warranty if you use anything other than their labeled products in your machine. I mean lets face it "K" aint makin their filters or their oils or anything, other than the tractor with their name

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I automatically change the fuel filter when I do an oil change. Just my personal preference. I have a few other brands besides kubota in the fleet at work. Some of the manufactures specs just floored me. For example one manufacturer recommends the fuel filter changed at least every 1000 hours :eek: and the oil change every 500 hours. I don't let it go past 250 hours or 6 months. I use Baldwin filters on most of the equipment as long as the filter number crosses. If not then it's a raping from the dealer. And a semisynthetic oil that meets the manufacturers specs for all the equipment I have. It's too much of a pain trying to keep a bunch of different brands. Sat down with the sales rep for our oil supplier. Went through all the different manufacturers specs, and settled on a cj-4 rated 15-40 that all the different manufacturers would except :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
The best way to get rid of crude is to drain and replace it. I aslo change all my new cars at 1000 miles at first, then regular service.
I dont know if it was made on Monday, Wednesday or Friday. People now days scare me.
So I replaced my HST fluid at 50 hours and my axle fluid and a motor oil change. The Hst fluid had a silver flake to it. It might of been ok, but my thinking is its the transmission and hydrolic at the same time, cleaner the better. All my oil, goes to the recycler so its not a total waste. I'm not talking about a $1000 machine here. I change the hydroilc filter only with the regular motor oil change and after a couple hundred hours it still looks like honey:D

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I changed my HST fluid, filter and cleaned the screen at 50 hours. If I had it to do over again I would have changed the engine oil at 25 hrs and not bothered to change the HST fluid at 50. It was as good as new and there was NOTHING in the screen.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I guess each of us has to decide whose opinions we trust more, the people who design and build these machines or some people who have owned a tractor(s) and some who have worked on them etc.

It is confusing because the maintenance interval recommendations have changed over the years not only on Kubotas, but other tractors, trucks, cars etc.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
I changed the oil filter at 5 hours, engine oil and filter, fuel filter, and front axle oil at 25 hours. Will change all of it again at 50 hours and go to SUDT. Money well spent in my opinion. And as someone else stated you can't change the fuel filter out too often. Cheers! Ed B

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
Dang. Unnecessary expenses.... Of course filters and oil for my L is $500. Yours, probably not so bad.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Not only a lot of unnecessary expenses, but a lot of unnecessary waste to be disposed of somewhere.