B2601 Temp Gauge

msmcknight

Equipment
B2601
Oct 30, 2017
Statesville, NC, USA
Hi guys,

The temperature gauge on my tractor always shows it running cool... like maybe 2mm above the cold line mark. No matter how hot or cold it is outside, the gauge rarely moves.

Most of the work I do is between idle and around 2000rpm, but even when kicked up to 3200rpm running a wood chipper for an hour, the gauge just holds steady.

It does move some as the tractor warms up from sitting unused, but never gets to the half-way point on the gauge. Seems like most vehicles I've had, "normal running temp" has always been half-way between cold and hot.

Is this normal or could there be a problem with the sensor or gauge?

Thank you,
-Michael

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
One of my ZD mowers does the same thing. The gauge starts out at the low end of the scale, and moves to about 1/3 scale when at operating temp. When the radiator starts clogging up with debris the gauge moves to midway, then into the upper end of the scale.
I bought this machine used, so I replaced the thermostat thinking that it may be stuck open, but there was no change. I may replace the coolant sensor to see if that changes the gauge position (mostly to satisfy my OCD). I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
To properly respond to your question one would need to be there to troubleshoot your issue. You can measure the cold and hot resistance of your sensor in the engine block. You can substitute different resistors for it to see how your gauge responds. You can check the temperature at which your thermostat opens. Or you can get used to what appears to be the norm for your tractor. I do not know how precise block sensors are at a given temperature - I think there's a range. I think I'd worry if my gauge read halfway all the time.

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
My b2601 temperature gauge reads the same as yours, when it was new I thought it might be an issue but two years later the gauge still only goes to about 1/4 mark. In the winter I put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator or the gauge won’t even get to the 1/4 mark. In the two years I have owned the tractor it hasn’t overheated so I think we’re good to go !

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
Mine reads like yours does. Even on a hot Tennessee day mowing for three hours. I shot the radiator with an IR thermometer once and it was 205 F with the gauge showing a little above cold. Never seen it higher.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Mine when warmed up runs less than 1/4" into the black above the white cold. I don't recall ever seeing any higher than that summer mowing @ 2800 rpm.

I clean the screen after every mowing as it does suck in some dried grass clippings.