Some Scams Are Difficult to Detect....

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I was just looking at Kijiji for pickups for sale. Came across a dealer add (that someone else obviously posted) and it said "F150 $1.00 Beware he rob me."

I looked at the reviews for said dealer on google. They were not good, LOL.
Well, the good news is he's only out $1.00

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Well Veronica call me again this morning. She is really concerned about the high interest I am paying on all my credit cards.

So I press "1" to get some assistance. I keep telling the guy I need for him to speak up and talk slower, I have a difficult time hearing him, several times actually. He promises to lower my interest rates on all my cards!

I tell him I need to speak to Veronica because she keep calling and I already gave all this information to someone and all my problems are now solved, so I need to let her know she did a good job and doesn't need to call any more. He ask me if I have the cards on me. He keeps telling me he needs my card numbers. I tell him I have 23 CC and I can't get the information to him because I'm driving and they're all in my back pocket. But I need to speak to Veronica... she already has all the information to save me money. Well that
information wasn't processed because my credit score was too low, but now it's higher and it will go through.

This goes on for several minutes. The last time I asked to speak to Veronica he said she passed. I told him she just called me a few minutes ago, but he hung up!

So I guess the good news is, I won't be getting any more calls from Veronica! The sad news she won't call you to help you though.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I got the call from the "IRS" and they said to call them back. So I did. I was on a road trip and I was board so I called them back. 40 or 50 times. Finally the man begged me to stop calling him. Never heard from the "IRS" again

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Second time I've sold something through the facebook market place. Didn't even offer it up on craigslist this time.

One thing I've figured out with the facebook market place. People pounce on the for sale items like a fat kid on cake :D

Put the old kubota up for sale. Put 15 hours on her last year and 8 on her this year. Just wasn't using her enough. Tractor was sold in 2 hours :cool::cool: guy left a deposit and coming over Tuesday night with the rest of the money since the banks are closed tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Daren, I responded to a marketplace ad for hay, leaving my phone number. Are sellers !ikely to use facebook messenger instead? I have up till now refused to download that app and have not used it, and so there may be a response there that I can't see.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren, I responded to a marketplace ad for hay, leaving my phone number. Are sellers !ikely to use facebook messenger instead? I have up till now refused to download that app and have not used it, and so there may be a response there that I can't see.
I don't even have facebook [emoji14] I had my wife post it on the market place since we had good luck with selling our camper on there.

So, I asked my wife. And she said yes, the replies were through facebook messenger.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I don't even have facebook [emoji14] I had my wife post it on the market place since we had good luck with selling our camper on there.

So, I asked my wife. And she said yes, the replies were through facebook messenger.

Ok had to download app and the hay sellers had replied to Messenger. Don't see why they did not reply to my phone by text. Anyway
getting closer to finding out where it is. Thank you!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I've started using FB marketplace. I get all responses on my desk top. I only use my phone as a phone and camera. Seems to work fine for me, but I check FB every time I'm on the computer. I know I'm out of step, but I'm OK with that!

jtboney1

Equipment
L2501
Jul 11, 2018
Mobile, Alabama
I assume to use Facebook Marketplace I would have to have a Facebook account. That is a deal breaker for me. I would deal with the BS on Craigslist 1000 times before I would the BS on Facebook just once.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I assume to use Facebook Marketplace I would have to have a Facebook account. That is a deal breaker for me. I would deal with the BS on Craigslist 1000 times before I would the BS on Facebook just once.
Interesting! I've had the opposite experience. Craigslist is a sea of criminals, scammers and tire-kickers. You waste 99% of your time trying to find an actual non-scammer who actually wants your item and then 50% of they time they will ghost you anyways. Facebook items seem to sell fast, reliably, almost no scammers that I've encountered, etc. Craiglist is so scripted and botted these days its not even funny.

I have a FB account just for using marketplace. Zero friends, no real last name, no pictures or bio. I find items, message the seller and buy them or post items and sell them. Thats it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Just like Tiktock said, "I have a FB account just for using marketplace. Zero friends, no real last name, no pictures or bio. I find items, message the seller and buy them or post items and sell them. Thats it."

Samo, samo! I made a comment one time about a lost cow. The person got kinda pissy with me 'cause they wanted to know something about me and they couldn't even see a picture. They accused me of hiding!

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
Interesting! I've had the opposite experience. Craigslist is a sea of criminals, scammers and tire-kickers. You waste 99% of your time trying to find an actual non-scammer who actually wants your item and then 50% of they time they will ghost you anyways. Facebook items seem to sell fast, reliably, almost no scammers that I've encountered, etc. Craiglist is so scripted and botted these days its not even funny.

I have a FB account just for using marketplace. Zero friends, no real last name, no pictures or bio. I find items, message the seller and buy them or post items and sell them. Thats it.

I agree, I've bought items on Craigslist but it is always a gamble for me if it is legit or not.