BL4590 Boom Swing Cylinder leak. Are Seals easy?

countryguy

Equipment
L2550/FEL/BH M6060/FEL ++
Nov 23, 2018
Fenton
Soooouuuuuu.... Just when I was about caught up w/ mech-madness around here; the BL4590 backhoe on the L2550GST has a sudden boom Cyl leak. Right side, when in seat. Right around the shaft/seal area. Nothing to crazy yet but needs to get resolved. I attached the image from the parts site. The Boom Cyl seals show a #16 and a #17... (see image).
Anyone know how hard a project this would be as a DIY item? Plenty of skill w/ everything but Cylinders. Anyone know if I need to replace both 16 and 17? any specialized tools needed?
Finally, would this just be easier to pull and take to a Cyl rebuild location.
TIA!

https://www.messicks.com/ku/84696
image attached of Boom Cyl .

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Soooouuuuuu.... Just when I was about caught up w/ mech-madness around here; the BL4590 backhoe on the L2550GST has a sudden boom Cyl leak. Right side, when in seat. Right around the shaft/seal area. Nothing to crazy yet but needs to get resolved. I attached the image from the parts site. The Boom Cyl seals show a #16 and a #17... (see image).
Anyone know how hard a project this would be as a DIY item? Plenty of skill w/ everything but Cylinders. Anyone know if I need to replace both 16 and 17? any specialized tools needed?
Finally, would this just be easier to pull and take to a Cyl rebuild location.
TIA!

https://www.messicks.com/ku/84696
image attached of Boom Cyl .
you need more than just the 2 seals, you need the whole seal kit to do it right.

I think they are easy to work on, but I think most things are easy.

No real special tools to do these type of cylinders because they just unbolt to take them apart. ;)

countryguy

Equipment
Nov 23, 2018
Fenton
OKy doky.. could not find a BL4590 OPs/parts manual, but I did find the one here. It looks nearly ident! Its for the 4672/4690.... Should suffice for assy/dis-assy ref once I get it all into the shop.
Now, anyone know what the difference is from a 4590 to a 4690 BL? Curious on that one....
tip: The seals kit is #19 on the kubota parts side so folks know. Not 16/17 but 19 for the full kit. Thanks for the reply on that Sir!

For the work ahead : would anyone also happen to know if I will need to pull the boom off to get the Cyl out and do this right? honestly guessing because I have not looked at it yet as it's at Brothers place. sooo.. this means I fix it out there if NO and bring home if the booms coming off w/ the overhead gantry platform. Just thought I'd ask. Newb on a cyl. repair. Always wanted to crack one. times up!

Last edited:

countryguy

Equipment
Nov 23, 2018
Fenton
Wolfman.... 18.5K posts here! Wow... in Canine-lupine post-years that is like 130,000 :D

you need more than just the 2 seals, you need the whole seal kit to do it right.

I think they are easy to work on, but I think most things are easy.

No real special tools to do these type of cylinders because they just unbolt to take them apart. ;)