What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Thank You. Every forum seems to be a bit different but uploading directly from the HD is very user friendly. Anyway I did use the FEL to bring up some firewood even if it may be December before it is used. :)

Attachments

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Dug Up A Stump....leveling a buddy's front yard this week.

Attachments

Last edited:

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Had a 90 year old massive oak that split over a road and had to be removed. I kept everything for firewood. Used the little BX to move tens of thousands of pounds of wood that I'll split come spring. Some were so big they hardly fit in the bucket and I had to use the bucket hooks to retain. I'm not a farm guy and live residential and this was a 100% un-doable job without a tractor. The large rounds probably weigh 300#.

Only got through about 1/3 of it today. Bringing a friend to complete it as I physically cant even budge some of the rounds once I get them out of the FEL.

lunasdude

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, FEL, quick con pto, box bld, land plane, flail mower
Dec 22, 2018
Los Lunas, NM USA
Wow, since I bought my little monster (BX1880) I have done so much, but this weekend I used my 4ft land plane to do road (private road) maintenance, fix the neighbours driveway entrance after a heavy rain and fix my driveway.

Still can't believe after 18 months of ownership how much I have been able to do!
:eek:

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Had a 90 year old massive oak that split over a road and had to be removed. I kept everything for firewood. Used the little BX to move tens of thousands of pounds of wood that I'll split come spring. Some were so big they hardly fit in the bucket and I had to use the bucket hooks to retain. I'm not a farm guy and live residential and this was a 100% un-doable job without a tractor. The large rounds probably weigh 300#.

Only got through about 1/3 of it today. Bringing a friend to complete it as I physically cant even budge some of the rounds once I get them out of the FEL.
Wow, you even have an orange chain!

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
That is a big tree... Amazing what a scut and loader can do saving back breaking labor.
I helped a neighbor with a similar sized pine a few weeks ago, and the loader and pallet forks made it a much easier job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan

Those rounds are huge !!! Those huge ones look like a splitting maul would half/quarter them on site then move em. :)

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I would’ve tried to cut a few slabs out of that oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I ended up with one nice 3" round slab that is in good condition crack-wise but as you went up the trunk even 8" up from the stump the center crack was almost the entire way across.

It would have been nice to get some actual board slabs out of it but I dont have the access/machinery myself.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV

Nice work cleaning up that tree and putting the wood to use, and thank goodness for your tractor!

I had a large border cherry fall over about that size a few years ago, and of course it fell on my side! I ended up cutting part of the trunk in (4) sections around 5' long each then ripping them in half for benches which I put around the property.

Gave one to a friend who sanded it down then varnished it and has it inside her house, damn if it didn't come out nice.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Nice work cleaning up that tree and putting the wood to use, and thank goodness for your tractor!

I had a large border cherry fall over about that size a few years ago, and of course it fell on my side! I ended up cutting part of the trunk in (4) sections around 5' long each then ripping them in half for benches which I put around the property.

Gave one to a friend who sanded it down then varnished it and has it inside her house, damn if it didn't come out nice.
UHG that would have been a great idea and so easy if I had asked the company to leave a few longer!

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
UHG that would have been a great idea and so easy if I had asked the company to leave a few longer!
I can say it wasn't easy ripping through 5' of cherry. I had a freshly sharpened chain, still for each split I had to stop a few times to let the chain (and me :D) cool down. Oak is harder yet, I only did two benches from a large oak around 10 years ago. Before that I made a bunch from pine which ripped fairly easy.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I can say it wasn't easy ripping through 5' of cherry. I had a freshly sharpened chain, still for each split I had to stop a few times to let the chain (and me :D) cool down. Oak is harder yet, I only did two benches from a large oak around 10 years ago. Before that I made a bunch from pine which ripped fairly easy.
That makes me feel a bit better. I dont cut Oak often and I had to cut down a few of these logs and it took more effort than I thought it should. The pros seemed to have just the right saws/chains/skills to make it look easy.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Don't overlook the fact that you can Google search for a portable sawmill that can saw lumber or live edge slabs from downed trees. The sawing rate might surprise you.

I am kinda sorta retired but portable sawmilling is my part time job.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

There are “special” ripping chains that cut much better and faster than normal crosscut chain. You get a fairly smooth surface using a milling attachment. I think my milling attachment is a granberg mini mill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
There are “special” ripping chains that cut much better and faster than normal crosscut chain. You get a fairly smooth surface using a milling attachment. I think my milling attachment is a granberg mini mill.

I was wondering if they made rip chains? Makes sense they would just like any other saw, if I ever make these again I'll order one.

A funny story about these benches. I first made a few after taking some pine down and had a couple along the edge of the pond. This was before I got the knack of notching the "V" in each base just right and some of those benches could rotate unless one sat down somewhere in the middle. Well one day the mother-in-law was over walking around the pond, plopped down on a bench just sitting on the front edge, the top rotated forwards dumping the poor woman on her butt at the pond edge with her feet in the water. :D

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Hour meter is at 47.8 hrs. so looking at what to do for 10w-30 oil change.

Looking at what Mobil has for full synthetic diesel oil.
I'm not worried about winter starting tractor sits in heated garage.