Puff of Black Smoke

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
I just did the 50 hour maintenance cycle on my 2019 B2601. I drained the factory crankcase oil and installed a new filter. Refilled with Zecol Max Pro Series 10W-30.

Unfortunately, I was so locked on the oil's weight I missed the small notation "For Gasoline Engines" at the bottom of the label.

Now when I start the engine there is a brief, light puff of black smoke. I have been using the FEL to move rock and sift gravel from soil, with frequent starting the engine, running for a few minutes and then shutting it down.

I run the gloplugs for 2-3 seconds before each start up, and have the RPMs up to 2000-2200 now, after keeping them below 2000 during the break-in period.

Have I messed up with the wrong oil in the crankcase? Is a puff of black smoke normal at start up? It hadn't happened before....

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

Have I messed up with the wrong oil in the crankcase? .......
No... that oil is no relation to your issues if the weight is similar. Only issue is it will not have the right detergents in it. No rush.... but drain and change oil.

puff the magic dragon er.... tractor is most likely a separate issue... and probably related to the start and stops... I'd just keep her running

Gene Blister

Equipment
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
Thanks coach. I'll change to a proper oil before I run anymore.

You know, I rode with my long haul trucker dad when I was a kid. The trucks were always running in the truck stop lots while the drivers were eating in the cafes. Dad told me it was cheaper and better for a diesels to just leave them running.

He "told" me that again when I got the Kubota, and I'll listen now. Bessie will just keep running.

wajdac

Equipment
B2650 w/loader and BH77 backhoe
Jul 22, 2019
Sand Lake, NY
I get a small puff of black smoke every time I start my B2650, only 6 hours on it. I also try to keep it running rather than frequent starting.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
A puff while starting is normal for any diesel.

All of my mowers at work have a puff when starting. Hours are from 250 to 2500+.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Your tractor is junk now. You pay me $50 and I'll take it off your hands. [emoji41]

Just joking.... as everyone says you're just fine! Great tractor from what we hear from other owners here on OTT.

I would change it out like Coach said. Honestly with 50 hours, I would do it quickly only because it would bug me terribly in my new tractor.

For what it's worth, I use a 5w-40 full synthetic, and it helps with cold winter starts.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
You know, I rode with my long haul trucker dad when I was a kid. The trucks were always running in the truck stop lots while the drivers were eating in the cafes. Dad told me it was cheaper and better for a diesels to just leave them running.

He "told" me that again when I got the Kubota, and I'll listen now. Bessie will just keep running.
Sorry, that's an old trucker tale. I know, because I'm an old trucker. When it's idling, some truck engines won't maintain proper operating temperature, and running too cool causes the fuel not to burn completely and leaves deposits in the engines. That's why they belch out smoke after left to idle for a period.
Besides, they are using fuel while idling.
The exception is turbocharged engines, a brief cool down period before shutting them down allows the turbo to cool down so the oil isn't cooked and cokes up the oil passages and bearings. The same goes for a non-turbo engine that has been operated under a heavy load, give it a minute to cool down to normal temps befor shutting it down.
UPS has operated diesel delivery trucks for years that the drivers stop and start dozens of times per day. The only bad effect of that is more wear and tear on starters.
Most all large fleet operators have the computers programmed to shut the engines off after a few minutes when parked unless the heater or A/C is needed.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Smith
I remember 30 years ago
Coming into work at 2:00 am in the winter
You could see a cloud of diesel smoke from the 20 or so R model Macks idling.... we pretty much used to run em 24/7

But yeah all our freighliners now shut off after about 5 mins unless you bump up the idle...
Supposedly idling is bad for the emissions/ DEF crap.

Trucking sure isn’t what it used to be...

You should see the guys we hire now
It’s a joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Idling a diesel will cause substantial carbon build up in the engine. As mentioned above, the engine doesn't maintain adequate operating temperature at idle, especially in colder weather and therefore does not burn fuel efficiently. The oil gets dirty faster, carbon builds up on the heads and valves and injector nozzles. Don't idle them. If you are going to leave it running, at least use the throttle to idle up the engine.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

It’s a joke
John - my Dad retired from a paving company after we sold the cows. He still stops in occasionally.

They have many guys apply for work that can't drive a manual transmission....

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Smith
I remember 30 years ago
Coming into work at 2:00 am in the winter
You could see a cloud of diesel smoke from the 20 or so R model Macks idling.... we pretty much used to run em 24/7

But yeah all our freighliners now shut off after about 5 mins unless you bump up the idle...
Supposedly idling is bad for the emissions/ DEF crap.

It’s a joke

Totally different environment but I was shocked to see on "ice road truckers" up in northern alaska and canada that they run the trucks 24/7 because if they turn them off then have to be towed into a shop and a guy lies underneath the engine/oil pan with a torch to warm everything up enough to even start.

I wish I could find a link to the episode because they showed it happening a few times.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock

They have many guys apply for work that can't drive a manual transmission....

Yep
We have the same problem on the East Coast. Hell, they can’t make it out of the parking lot without a GPS.
And a giant Bluetooth headset so they can talk to the baby mama. CB radios are pretty much a thing of the past.

As soon as they get out onto the freeway they get in the middle lane and never look in the mirrors.

There could be 10 trucks behind them busting their stones to get around...
They could care less they just go slower.

Around here it’s mostly inner-city kids that can barely drive their Honda Civic never mind a tractor trailer.

They destroy equipment at an alarming rate

OK now you’re getting me wound up...
LoL!

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Tiktock,

At the risk of showing my age,

I remember we used to put a toilet paper roll in a coffee can with some diesel fuel or kerosene and let it burn underneath the oil pan to warm up a cold truck.

Gene Blister

Equipment
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
RCW- Ran to the local Tractor Supply and got Shell Rotella for diesels. You're right it was driving me nuts with a new tractor. I'm sure as the thing gets used and I get used to it I won't be so obsessive, but right now she's my baby.
In fact, I'd just changed out the filter, and thats nagging at me a little, too. Its full of "nasty" gasoline engine oil, after all...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
RCW- Ran to the local Tractor Supply and got Shell Rotella for diesels. You're right it was driving me nuts with a new tractor. I'm sure as the thing gets used and I get used to it I won't be so obsessive, but right now she's my baby.
In fact, I'd just changed out the filter, and thats nagging at me a little, too. Its full of "nasty" gasoline engine oil, after all...
Life has to be tough if one is that "concerned" about a filter full of oil! When that oil gets diluted with the other, the percentage is so small it's insignificant.

If you take care of your own body with the same focus you'll live to be 125!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
RCW- Ran to the local Tractor Supply and got Shell Rotella for diesels....

Gene - there’s several favorites for motor oil here; Rotella is often one of them. I use Rotella T6 5w-40 myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gene Blister

Equipment
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
Life has to be tough if one is that "concerned" about a filter full of oil! When that oil gets diluted with the other, the percentage is so small it's insignificant.

If you take care of your own body with the same focus you'll live to be 125!
D2Cat-- Oh man, far too late for that. My suspension's shot, electrical system spliced and taped and I don't remember the last time I changed my filters.
Upholstery sun cracked and split, lots of UV damage to the tires...naw, I'll save whatever's left for Bessie. I have hope for her. :eek:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I just wanted to second others here as a brand new L2501 owner. My tractor starts with just a flick of the key, and purrs like a kitten - and it ALWAYS puffs a little black cloud at start. This is entirely normal. If it just continued to throw black smoke while running is when id personally be more concerned.

kevinj

Equipment
L3940hstc - B7500hst - BX1860 - Farmall 560D - Farmall M
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan
Yep
We have the same problem on the East Coast. Hell, they can’t make it out of the parking lot without a GPS.
And a giant Bluetooth headset so they can talk to the baby mama. CB radios are pretty much a thing of the past.

As soon as they get out onto the freeway they get in the middle lane and never look in the mirrors.

There could be 10 trucks behind them busting their stones to get around...
They could care less they just go slower.

Around here it’s mostly inner-city kids that can barely drive their Honda Civic never mind a tractor trailer.

They destroy equipment at an alarming rate

OK now you’re getting me wound up...
LoL!

Around here we them "range cowboys"

Even the heavy haulers here are going to automatics since the cowboys can't drive an 18 speed.

I am retired driving part time and had to show a fella how ta properly shift a 10 speed road ranger.