Plowing / Grading with a Kubota L3300

moday

Apr 2, 2011
Michigan
I'm having a heck of a time trying to grade a bumpy driveway with a York rake. Any suggestions? As the tractor hits bumps the rake goes up and down and never seems to get flat. I thought the old Ford 8N's and such had draft control which was to keep an implement flat in relationship to where the tractor is at...not sure if that works real well but no such option on a Kubota L Series? Just wondering, seems like I should do better with the rake and new gravel but I can't make a smooth driveway!

Any suggestions appreciated and I love my tractor, so hopefully it's the way I'm using it and I can learn something new. thanks in advance, Mike

nuctrooper

Jan 29, 2019
Greater Seattle Area
Try with the rake pivoted to about a 30-45 degree angle. Windrow from the outside to the inside in each direction. That should elongate the bumps and knock down the washboards so the tractor rides smoother. Finish up with a 0deg/90 deg pull on the center to distribute gravel back to the track area. Might have to do this a couple times, but each time should be a little less bumpy and more effective.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I would look at a box blade. I use mine on my drive and it is heavy enough not to jump around like the land plane. I try to do maintenance every time it rains to keep the dust down. I found mine used and paid 300 for the 6 foot box and 6 foot brush hog. Craigslist, Auctions, etc.

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
I'm having a heck of a time trying to grade a bumpy driveway with a York rake. Any suggestions? As the tractor hits bumps the rake goes up and down and never seems to get flat. I thought the old Ford 8N's and such had draft control which was to keep an implement flat in relationship to where the tractor is at...not sure if that works real well but no such option on a Kubota L Series? Just wondering, seems like I should do better with the rake and new gravel but I can't make a smooth driveway!

Any suggestions appreciated and I love my tractor, so hopefully it's the way I'm using it and I can learn something new. thanks in advance, Mike
I only have the landscape rake and usually have it angled as suggested. The little L2501 tends to rock pretty easy, but I can stabilize it a bit with the front bucket just touching the ground angled a little upward running slow forward. The Edge Tamers make it a lot easier without wearing out the bottom of the bucket...and I can brush down some high spots with the bucket before they affect the wheels and rake on back.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just my gut says you need a box blade or land plane.

I love my box blade for that same job, and others like land planes.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Gauge wheels on a landscape rake will make a huge difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
If another implement is not an option then how about some weight on the rake? I put some old cutter edge blades on my back blade to keep it from bouncing on uneven ground. I just fashioned some S hooks out of steel rod and hung the cutter blades on my back blade.

Attachments

Last edited: