Drive Train warranty,,, we pay 25%??

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
Re: Drive Train warranty,,, we lay 25%??

I was told when I dropped the tractor off it would all be covered. Now the owner said warranty only pays flat rate and don’t cover the entire claim in most cases. I asked him if I bought the same tractor from him if this would have been covered.. he said yes. also , if I traded in mine and bought a new unit he would disregard the invoice.

I called Kubota , they said there warranty dont work this way. They instructed me to call the dealer and push back and see where it goes. I was told the same by the owner.

They (Kubota) said I owe nothing and wanted copies of everything. They have the District manager involved now.
:eek:

Sure hope there is a different dealer you can use and be sure to tell everyone you know what an a$$ this guy is.

GD

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I had been a FSM for Yamaha, Nissan, Mazda and Volvo. Warranty pays all, customer pay zero. Always.
To be a franchised dealer, you (the dealer) accepts flat rate book time and accepts the hourly rate agreed to (it can vary some from dealer to dealer).
If the book says it is an eight hour job, the dealer gets paid for eight hours at the agreed on rate. If they can do the job in six, they earn the extra two. If the job takes ten hours, they eat the two.
In rare instances, customers have been asked to pay for fluids. In this particular case, it is possible for the dealer to be charging for a full HST drain and refill and the fluid might not be under warranty though a bit of customer squeaking will usually make this sort of charge go away.

This rule also applies to all service jobs, unless the machine is in really bad shape and a customer, in advance' agrees to pay actual time. It can work out if the mechanic beats the book and it can kill the customer if the mechanic has a hard time or sloths on the job.

Shop supplies is just another mechanism used these days to milk the customer. Hourly rate covers the full cost of the service write, shop manager, shop rent, electric and supplies. Just like paying a 'doc fee' when buying a new car. Just a deplorable scam. All intended to enable padding the bill.

To the OP, you will prevail.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Quite simply it sounds like the dealer is trying to pull a scam, that is so sad!

I wouldn't bet the dealer will be that for very long if they do an audit of his books and what he's been charging people for warranty claims that were fully covered.

Gillie Dog

Equipment
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
I wouldn't bet the dealer will be that for very long if they do an audit of his books
Interesting, wonder is Kubota does that.

Had a friend who was a very small Datsun dealer in the 1970's and lost the dealership because he was doing all the warranty work, at no charge to customer, but not turning it in for payment to Datsun, they did not like that either. Pontiac and Saab had so much warranty work he had been turning it in.

GD

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Quite simply it sounds like the dealer is trying to pull a scam, that is so sad!

I wouldn't bet the dealer will be that for very long if they do an audit of his books and what he's been charging people for warranty claims that were fully covered.
I jumped the gun on my comment and for that I apologize. My dealer, Carleton Farm Supply, would never pull that kind of crap, best way to lose a franchise I know of....

Wolfman and I were talking off forum and I mentioned that my due tickets for this month alone are around 1800 bucks but I never get pushed to pay, my dealer knows it's farming and as such the money ebbs and flows. Not that he wouldn't b put me in a new M5 tomorrow.....:eek:

Keeps talking about bringing out a new Kubota twine net round baler for me to 'demo', he knows if it comes, it stays... It's farming after all.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I jumped the gun on my comment and for that I apologize. My dealer, Carleton Farm Supply, would never pull that kind of crap, best way to lose a franchise I know of....

Wolfman and I were talking off forum and I mentioned that my due tickets for this month alone are around 1800 bucks but I never get pushed to pay, my dealer knows it's farming and as such the money ebbs and flows. Not that he wouldn't b put me in a new M5 tomorrow.....:eek:

Keeps talking about bringing out a new Kubota twine net round baler for me to 'demo', he knows if it comes, it stays... It's farming after all.
Flip, good to see you posting again, just keep calm about all those big tractors!

And as I highlighted in your comment above, you better keep your cap pulled down over your eyes and not be making any comments (when at the dealership) that gives him an indication of approval, or one will show up.

Michigankubota

Equipment
B2650 Loader,LX 2980-64 Blower ,60”MMM , Land Pride 60”Box Blade.
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
Today I have felt like absolute garbage, like I did something wrong calling Kubota. This dealer is great with kids and seemed very family oriented. In one hand I feel betrayed and the other like I lost something really good knowing I need to go to the other dealer here.

Michigankubota

Equipment
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.

It’s all good! I appreciate all the input.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Re: Drive Train warranty,,, we lay 25%??

Here***8217;s the breakdown
I like the "Shop Supplies" and the "Misc Charge" Shop supplies are for shop rags which is a B.S. Charge. I think your dealer is scamming you.
I had a Honda 550 motorcycle and took it in to have the front forks rebuilt. The "Tacked" on Shop supplies and I told them that I wasn't paying it and that that expense is figured into the labor per hour rate. It got heated but I didn't have to pay it.

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Today I have felt like absolute garbage, like I did something wrong calling Kubota. This dealer is great with kids and seemed very family oriented. In one hand I feel betrayed and the other like I lost something really good knowing I need to go to the other dealer here.
Wait, what? You feel like you did something wrong???

No way. You did absolutely right. If the dealer is trying to make you feel guilty for standing up to his shenanigans then there's one more example of how sleezy he really is.

Con men are very good at imitating honest and upright citizens. The "con" stands for "confidence", as in they instill their victims with confidence that the deal is on the up-and-up.

The bottom line here is that he is trying to pull a fast one, and you have nothing to be ashamed of by calling him out on it.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
What the real "tell" will be is if they make it right for you. When my Polaris and VW dealers screwed me on more than one occasion, and I had pictures to show proof, I contacted VW Canada and Polaris Corporate and they both blew me off.
So I started selling my Polaris products off and went back to buying Ford vehicles.

I have a book in my possession that is for New Holland dealers. It is quite comical. It is a lesson book on how to deceive and scam your customers. I had to keep that one because it is pretty unbelievable.

Michigankubota

Equipment
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
Wait, what? You feel like you did something wrong???

No way. You did absolutely right. If the dealer is trying to make you feel guilty for standing up to his shenanigans then there's one more example of how sleezy he really is.

Con men are very good at imitating honest and upright citizens. The "con" stands for "confidence", as in they instill their victims with confidence that the deal is on the up-and-up.

The bottom line here is that he is trying to pull a fast one, and you have nothing to be ashamed of by calling him out on it.
Very True. I guess I’m just disappointed that it turned out this way.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Very True. I guess I***8217;m just disappointed that it turned out this way.
Well it is a choice that you have been somewhat pushed into. Your choice is to ignore it and pay or go to whatever lengths you need to to have the dealer play by the rules.
Im 67 yrs old and there is definitely a "Change" in the way some businesses operate. It is SAD but I have NO room or forgiveness for deception.

Michigankubota

Equipment
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
Kubota called me back , The dealer said I misunderstood and he was telling me worse case scenario if the warranty was denied. Wow! I guess it was easy to misinterpret that Kubota pays flat rat and I was responsible for the rest (25%) of the claim unless I Bought a new tractor. And us owners think we can just buy a tractor anywhere and have them service it.

I understand there is frustration being a dealer. Just like any dealership.

Last edited:

quicktractor

Equipment
Kubota L2501
Jul 27, 2017
Flagstaff
Sounds like you caught him with his hand in the cookie jar. So, He was telling you worst case scenario...
1) Why wouldn't it be (and be processed) under warranty. I have never had a "discount rate" presented for warranty work
2) Wow, What a great deal on service that they only charge you 25% of the service charge???????? Worst case is you pay 100%. He is running a scam....

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Your feeling is normal in that you did lose something. You extended trust and got back a "big misunderstanding."

motorhead, needed some air-conditioned storage space, checked it out - all looked good. Time to put down a payment and saw an "admin charge" which was the first time that had come up in the conversation.

Then got a call from my existing internet provider that I can get higher speed, no equipment change, just $10 more to triple speed, and sign contract. New contract is for 3 years, buried in fine print, and I've been on month to month. Nothing about that over the phone. The change is not your imagination.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Kubota called me back , The dealer said I misunderstood and he was telling me worse case scenario if the warranty was denied. Wow! I guess it***8217;s easy to misinterpret that Kubota pays flat rat and I was responsible for the rest (25%) of the claim unless I Bought a new tractor. And ***8220;us***8221; owners think we can just buy a tractor anywhere and have them service it.

I understand there is frustration being a dealer. Just like any dealership.
My question to the dealer would be, "Why do I have an invoice listing the details of the added cost that I am billed to pay? Was your secretary just practicing writing invoices? I will forward a copy of this invoice to Kubota Corp. to let them know what was actually billed. You can explain to them how it was a worse case scenario estimate with the date and details and an invoice number attached!"

The second page of the invoice list "completed work as follows" it doesn't indicate a bid if insurance does not pay. Looks like he wants to collect funds from the tractor owner and Kubota. Proves his lack of character.

Last edited:

Michigankubota

Equipment
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
My question to the dealer would be, "Why do I have an invoice listing the details of the added cost that I am billed to pay? Was your secretary just practicing writing invoices? I will forward a copy of this invoice to Kubota Corp. to let them know what was actually billed. You can explain to them how it was a worse case scenario estimate with the date and details and an invoice number attached!"

The second page of the invoice list "completed work as follows" it doesn't indicate a bid if insurance does not pay. Looks like he wants to collect funds from the tractor owner and Kubota. Proves his lack of character.

The more I think about it the more I agree.

His conversation to Kubota that was retold to me , is what he should have said to me in the first place. He said nothing of the 25% or how the invoice would disappear if I bought a new tractor.

Gillie Dog

Equipment
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
The more I think about it the more I agree.

His conversation to Kubota that was retold to me , is what he should have said to me in the first place. He said nothing of the 25% or how the invoice would disappear if I bought a new tractor.
Dealer is a sleaze ball, liar and scam artist.

It is not to bad you have to find a different dealer, it is best for you and all his others customers to do so.

GD