Brush Hog Gear Oil

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
My nephew borrowed my brush hog and noticed the gear oil was a bit low. He put in SUDT2 instead of 90 gear oil. He said it was not much, a few ounces, maybe a cup. I don't see any way to change it except maybe vacuum it out. Will that bit hurt a gear box, it is not used that much but I don't want to screw it up.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I don’t think it will hurt anything other than being to light. I would get s suction gun and remove the oil and replace with 90w. It needs it anyway. Look over the bottom seal or pinion seal to see if you can find a leak. Catch and repair early before you burn it up. At least he checked the gearbox, praise him for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
I dont think it will hurt a thing.. I only worry if they go dry or if there is water mixed in.

If it hasnt been changed ever, maybe when you get it warmed up, use your extractor to suck the quart or two out and give it a fresh dose of your favorite gear oil..just my opinion.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Thanks, I will change it before I use it again. Just got through plowing snow so it will be a while before I hook the mower up. I didn't know if the Super would enhance the fluids in the gear box, lol. He only used it about an hour so probably did not get it too hot.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks, I will change it before I use it again. Just got through plowing snow so it will be a while before I hook the mower up. I didn't know if the Super would enhance the fluids in the gear box, lol. He only used it about an hour so probably did not get it too hot.
Typically, Bush Hog wants a gear oil containing an Extreme Pressure Additive.
From their web site:
Multi-Purpose Gear Oil EP80W-90

The EP standing for Extreme Pressure.

Dave

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
OK all ya'll that are much smarter than I, got a question relating to this.

Good question by the OP. We use large syringes here at work so I got a couple of used ones placed a piece of 5/16" tube on it and sucked the oil out of my hog gear box and refilled.

Question, Kubota says I can use SUDT2 in the front end of my L4600 replacing the gear oil that came in it.

So, if Kubota says the SUDT2 oil can be used in place of the gear oil, is it possible the hog in question would be ok or even better if the SUDT2 was used?

Just curious what your thoughts are.

Jay

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Some people use the term "gear oil" without actually realizing other people think 80w90 when they hear that term.
SUDT2 ... IS... a type of gear-oil. It's just not likely specified by anyone for any product other than Kubota equipment.
And mixing the two different oils was doubtless not a good idea. Different fluids are almost always not to be mixed.

MY Kubota actually says the OPPOSITE. They allow the original Kubota UDT in the front axle to be replaced with 80W90... if desired by the owner.

I think that just adds to the confusion of matters. Kubota should be more explanatory, IMO, as to why they allow 80W90 in the front axle equally rated with UDT or UDT2, for that purpose etc. I suspect it's because the front axle fluid isn't used for hydraulic purposes...only gear/bearing lubrication.

Are you sure you didn't get the instructions backwards yourself?

I'm surprised the gear box didn't have the specified fluid labelled on the unit.

(And while your nephew probably thought he was doing you a favor, the question I'd ask him is, "Why did you not call me first before you decided to do something to my equipt? Would you like me to do that to you? Do you now see why maintenance manuals and specifications are produced?"

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
My nephew borrowed my brush hog and noticed the gear oil was a bit low. He put in SUDT2 instead of 90 gear oil. He said it was not much, a few ounces, maybe a cup. I don't see any way to change it except maybe vacuum it out. Will that bit hurt a gear box, it is not used that much but I don't want to screw it up.
Won't hurt anything.

Do not overfill.

SDT

crippler

Equipment
KUBOTA Bx23s, KUBOTA B6200, KUBOTA B7400, KUBOTA B7800, Mitsubishi D1500 II
May 25, 2014
Carthage NY
if you live in a hot climate run the gear oil, if you live where it is colder and use it in the winter use the super UDT2 Kubota Super UDT2 provides the following benefits to Kubota equipment:
Improved transmission performance and protection at high and low
operating temperatures
Unique friction characteristics on wet clutches enables smoother start off, drive control, and PTO connection
Fully interchangeable with standard UDT and Super UDT fluids
Superior corrosion resistance and efficient filterability protects transmission
and hydraulic systems
Improved transmission efficiency through reduction in power loss
Meets Kubota stringent specifications
BOTH ARE HYDRAUKIC OIL, THE UDT and SUDT2 ARE THINNER WEIGHTS