PTO cable problem - adjustment/lubrication?

Jumpsuit Jamey

Equipment
Kubota LA525 brushhog, loader, box blade, tiller
May 24, 2020
Fayetteville, AR.
I have a Kubota LA525 with only about 54 hours on it. When I disengage the PTO lever, the cable is "bunching up" at the lever end, and so not disengaging. I'll attach some photos to show 1) at rest and disengaged, normal; 2) PTO engaged 3) what happens at the cable when I pull up the lever to disengage (and it's not).

*NOTE* - this is the first time I've ever posted, so I'm not sure if the photo attachments will present in the right order. If they don't, I'll reply and describe them (though you'll probably be able to figure it out, anyway).

PTO 1A.jpg

PTO 2A.jpg

PTO 3A.jpg

My question is, what do I need to do to fix this? If the answer is lubrication, danged if I see how to get it to the cable, since it's enclosed in a rubber boot at both ends. If it's adjustment, could someone walk me through just how to do that, and how to know when I'm at the optimum adjustment?

I've got a lot of tilling to do today, so I can plant some buckwheat for my bees before it rains, so I sure would appreciate your help - them girls gonna get hungry pretty soon!

Many thanks, Jamey Hall

Jumpsuit Jamey

Equipment
May 24, 2020
Fayetteville, AR.
Thanks, brother. Sorry if I got a little frustrated - I like tractors a lot better'n computers! BTW, be nice if we could rotate those photos 90 degrees clockwise, so show how it really looks. If you can't, I understand.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Follow the cable to the other end and see if the lever it activates is bent or something causing it to be too stiff to move, or possibly there should be a spring on it to assist it to disengage. It might be that the cable is dry and needs lube, but I doubt it. Does there seem to be much resistance when you engage it?

BTW, LA525 is the loader on your tractor, the model of your tractor will be displayed on the side of the hood.

Last edited:

Jumpsuit Jamey

Equipment
May 24, 2020
Fayetteville, AR.
No, I can move the lever at either end easily when it's "bunched up" like that, and disengage it. Thanks for the tip about the tractor model - I just went by the biggest number I could see from 100 ft away, LOL! It's an L2501

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Spray the shaft that goes into the case with PB Blaster or other penetrating oil. WD-40 is not a good oil for this. Also you should be able to slide the boot out of the way enough to spray oil into the cable itself. Also oil the cable from the top side. You may need to remove the cable and use a pair of pliers to "work" the cable loose.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
No, I can move the lever at the other end easily. Thanks for the tip about the tractor model - I just went by the biggest number I could see from 100 ft away, LOL!
No kinks or sharp bends in the cable? Is it possibly routed wrong? If the answer to both is no, then yeah you probably have some kind of friction problem inside the cable, either dry, or possibly frayed inside.
The rubber ends can be slid off the end of the cable jacket to allow you to add some lubricant. Try that, and if no improvement, it's time for a new cable. With only 54 hrs on it, depending on how long you have had it, it should still be under warranty.

Jumpsuit Jamey

Equipment
May 24, 2020
Fayetteville, AR.
Thanks, guys, I'm going to go try that right now. It's the only thing I can see that it could be. I'll post when I finish working (or it doesn't work!) to let you know how it went. Thanks again!

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
One other thing to check is the spring on the lever arm at the transmission. Make sure it looks like the picture in post number 11 of this previous thread and bottom arm of spring is on bolt head BY CLICKING HERE

69 SS

Equipment
2015 L3901 HST,with Canopy,LA 525 FEL with SSQA bucket
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
Hey ,check out my posts about this 4 pages back under "Help PTO Disaster" under my user name 69 SS. Check out the latest post today about anL2501 with same problem. Look at the number of people checking out these posts. Same exact problem a week ago happened to my L 3901 . Now it is out of warranty and in the shop for major repairs. Google Kubota PTO problems and see what you get. I am glad that I got my 10 lbs of wildflower mix for birds,bees, hummingbirds planted the day before my PTO went out. I just got 3 lbs of Italian bees moved in a hive April 11,my first time ever trying bees. Damned allergy S have gotten so bad so fast am trying to see if honey from my place will help. PLEASE read the posts on this forum,TBN, and Google this. There is a huge problem with this type cable/ lever/engagement problem with these tractors. Good luck on all your projects.

Jumpsuit Jamey

Equipment
May 24, 2020
Fayetteville, AR.
I'll do that, 69SS, and thanks. Well, it kinda worked - as long as I reached down and manually pushed the cable down into the sleeve. But damned if i want to do that everytime. It's especially tiresome when I'm using a tiller in an odd-shaped field, where I have to stop and go back to straighten up constantly. BTW, 69SS, I caught my first swarm a few days ago, and it was easy as pie. The were in a Crapemyrtle in a flat yard, about two 3 feet up the small bush. I stuck my Layens hive on the tailgate and backed up right to it. The top of the Layens box was even with the bottom of the swarm - one quick shake and they were right in there. I doubt I'll ever have it that easy again!

Diver 6

Equipment
L3800 HST
Mar 11, 2017
Dade City, FL
Had the exact same problem with my L3800. Clean out the debris between the lever and casing. Then hose down the lever and shaft with lubricant. Haven***8217;t had an issue since.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Motion Pro makes a dandy cable luber. I think they are on Amazon. You peel back the bellows, attach the luber, stick a spray can of PB in the end (with the straw) and it will lube the entire cable in a couple seconds.

I use it all the time.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Hey ,check out my posts about this 4 pages back under "Help PTO Disaster" under my user name 69 SS. Check out the latest post today about anL2501 with same problem. Look at the number of people checking out these posts. Same exact problem a week ago happened to my L 3901 . Now it is out of warranty and in the shop for major repairs. Google Kubota PTO problems and see what you get. I am glad that I got my 10 lbs of wildflower mix for birds,bees, hummingbirds planted the day before my PTO went out. I just got 3 lbs of Italian bees moved in a hive April 11,my first time ever trying bees. Damned allergy S have gotten so bad so fast am trying to see if honey from my place will help. PLEASE read the posts on this forum,TBN, and Google this. There is a huge problem with this type cable/ lever/engagement problem with these tractors. Good luck on all your projects.
It’s a OWT (Old Wives Tale) that honey made of the flowers that carry pollen to which you are allergic will help you. My Allergist-Doctor laughed big-time over this idea.
Imagine this: You are allergic to something....and an insect concentrates the allergen... and then you EAT IT...expecting that will be good for you. :rolleyes: