BX2230/LA211 and a diverter/grapple only goes one direction

smittyjones

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 loader, 60" MMM, 48" box blade
May 23, 2020
Topeka, KS
I have a BX2230 with a LA211 loader, it has a "3 way" loader valve, so always has regen/fast dump on the bucket dump mode. I installed a bucket grapple and diverter valve. I bought the valve from Ken's Bolt On Hooks. Their website said that if it has regen, I'd probably have to run it off of the up/down instead of the curl circuit, but sounds like some grapple cylinders may run off of the curl circuit.

So first I hooked it to my curl circuit, because I thought that would be preferable and most natural. But the grapple would only move in one direction, with the joystick to the left (curl up).

I figured this was because of the regen "feature."

So I changed them around and plumbed them to the up/down circuit, and it does the exact same thing.

It doesn't change with engine RPM at all, but I can swap the grapple hoses around and it will go the opposite direction (it's currently plumbed to up/down, but curl worked exactly the same). It really feels like it has regen on the loader lower function as well. Everything on the normal loader works perfect, both pre and post diverter installation, including float.

So I guess my question is, can I use the diverter valve on loader up/curl up? Or will that be unhealthy for something? I'm theorizing that might push fluid into a hose that it's not expecting and still not work while risking damaging the valve or something.

Or is there another cheap option to prevent regen? Regen works by pressurizing both sides so it doesn't cavitate while dumping a big load (lol), so I'm thinking something to limit pressure on that one hose/line to prevent it from overpressurizing the back side of that cylinder. But I don't know if that will cause another problem, like not being able to go either direction or reverse my problem.

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
My set up is different from yours, as I used the Kubota 3rd function kit, additionally I am just a noob... But when I tested my install, i only had movement in one direction. The cause was an improper quick coupler the hydraulic shop fit on the hose I had made. The couplings felt like they fit fine, but it was the wrong type, one had partial flow, and the other had none. Have a look at the couplings just to be sure.

smittyjones

Equipment
May 23, 2020
Topeka, KS
My set up is different from yours, as I used the Kubota 3rd function kit, additionally I am just a noob... But when I tested my install, i only had movement in one direction. The cause was an improper quick coupler the hydraulic shop fit on the hose I had made. The couplings felt like they fit fine, but it was the wrong type, one had partial flow, and the other had none. Have a look at the couplings just to be sure.
Man I think you might be onto something! I ordered most of my fittings and hoses from surpluscenter, but while I was waiting for my grapple to come in, a loader to tractor fitting started leaking so I had to steal one of my new ones. I had to stop by a local hydraulic shop to pick up the replacement fitting yesterday, and as I look closely, it looks like it might be just a tiny bit deeper.

https://i.imgur.com/7RYm8dz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/i8ztpKm.jpg

Last edited:

smittyjones

Equipment
May 23, 2020
Topeka, KS
I'm sorry those pictures are so huge lol, it wouldn't let me post links because I don't have enough posts.

But I went out and grabbed the old coupler and slapped it on, even though it dumps like crazy, and guess what? It works! It leaks, but it works!

Thank you so much! Time to go grab some trees!

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Nice! yes very sneaky. Because they felt like they were coupled together tightly, but werent. I was really racking my brain (and the forum) to sort it out.

As an aside...
can you show me a picture of your male ends just for my curiosities sake?

These are Safeway SH21-14P, These are the ones my hydraulic shop seemed to struggle to get the proper female for... they told me it was "good to go!" but it wasnt. and when you google the part number it doesnt really look like the connection that is stamped on the body, the ones that come up seem to have a ball end on them... The proper female end for these males is SH25-14P, which are impossible for me to find. When my grapple gets here i will be dealing with the same problem.

Last edited:

smittyjones

Equipment
May 23, 2020
Topeka, KS
So this is what my existing couplers look like. I guess they're called ISO B or maybe ISO 7241-B. I see them listed as both.

When that one stopped working on the loader/tractor connection, the ones I already had (that came factory on the tractor...y) matched the new ones (that were earmarked for the grapple), luckily, so it just popped on. I went to Tractor Supply and got a M/F pair to replace that one. Got home and turned out they were what you just posted, same shape but a little bit shorter.

Those were the only 1/4" NPT hydraulic couplers TSC had, so I went the opposite direction and stopped by a hydraulic shop on the way home (I wanted all the couplers to match), and they gave me the coupler on the left on the top picture earlier. Apparently, that coupler is just a little bit deeper, so my male coupler didn't quite push the button all the way in.

It felt like it connected securely though, it even gave some difficulty when there was hydraulic pressure, so maybe it pushed the button on one side but not the other, or pushed them both a tiny bit when pressure equalized, and that's why I could move the grapple just a little bit.

Either way, it works! It leaks like a sieve until I can replace that female coupler, but the cylinder goes up and down perfectly!

Last edited: