ZD326 w/2435 hrs, Is it worth the $$$$'s

Drinka40

Equipment
MX5200, LA1065 Loader, Grading Scraper
Apr 18, 2020
Madison VA
Hi All on OTT,

I'm looking really hard for a Kubota zero turn, and would like a diesel version and a 60" deck. I ran across a used ZD326, that runs good. I took it for a test spin (pun intended) and engine sounds / runs great, everything works, hydrostatic feels pretty good, cosmetically its not bad (somewhat indicates of how well the prior owner took care of). Its a trade in at a local Kubota Dealer, from one of their customer's who's in the lawn care business, so has been used commercially.

The clock shows 2435 hrs.
The asking price $4500, plus sales tax.

Searching online for used ZD326's, I could find plenty for sale, most with 1000 hrs or less, and in the $6-9K price range. Any that were $5K or less were trashed or had issues.

I have reservations about this potential purchase, only because of the hours on this unit.

1) So is the price realistic for the amount of hours?
2) Anyone have this many hours on their ZDxxx, and how's it going?
3) Any thing to look for on a ZD with this many hours?
4) Can these Kubota ZD's still run 3,4,5000 hrs ?

Are some of the questions I have.

Thanks

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
Well it makes me feel good that they have that service in them. My 2011 ZD326P has 425 hrs on it now. I think I’m good for awhile, until I just want something else. To your question on longevity, it all depends on maintenance of the unit. Oil and filter changes, cooling system, greasing and hydraulic system maintenance will greatly effect how long a unit will last. If it was in commercial use and was properly maintained I would expect more good hours. I know the engine will as they have a reputation for long life. Good luck on finding what you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drinka40

Equipment
Apr 18, 2020
Madison VA
I also wanted to mention :

My use will be weekly cutting around my house, total about 1.5 acres.

Things I noticed during the test drive:

Engine starts and runs fine, but there is some gray (not black) smoke when its first started, which I feel is a non-issue, as most diesels do this.

The left hydrostatic control arm, felt a bit loose in comparison to the control on the right. But again, both worked fine, forward / reverse, and no odd vibrations or noises.

Thanks,

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
I really have no idea of what thatd be worth. I expect it would depend on your perspective and needs. I dont think Id want to pay that though. Back in 2001 I bought a ZD21 with just 5 hours on it for $5000. Im not sure how much more of a machine the 326 is.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
The start up smoke is no problem. I wouldn't think the control lever feel is wear or loose adjustment bolt. It's got to have some wear
As to value, that's up to you. I would offer less. Those high hours will scare many away

As to the ZD21 vs ZD326P, a huge difference in engine power and the hydrostatic system is totally different. The 326 has a added boost pump the dramatically increases the responsiveness of the control levers. I bought a 21 new in 2002 and traded in 2011 for the 326

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
Drinka40,

That sounds like a good deal to me. We now have 3 ZD326 with rear discharge decks. The oldest is pushing 2400 hours, purchased in June 2011. The only problem we have had was the oldest one had to have the right-side hydraulic motor rebuilt around the 900 hour mark. No other major issues. We only use Kubota filters and oils, and follow the book on the fluid changes.

In your second post you mention that the control arms "felt" different from each other. There is an adjustment that can tighten or loosen the arms. I suggest that you get the Work Shop Manual (WSM) if you plan to do all the repairs and maintenance. The WSM will show you how to adjust the arms. You can find the parts list at https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/ , agree to the terms, and track down what you need, then order from your local dealer, or online at Messick's Farm Equipment or Coleman Equipment.

One thing to remember, the ZD326 is a heavy built mower, and as such it is heavier than what the box stores sell.

Happy mowing! :)

Digger

Drinka40

Equipment
Apr 18, 2020
Madison VA
All,

Thanks for the feedback, and @Digger Dagger, glad to hear some one has the ZD326 running fine at the 2400 hr mark, and indeed at 1700 lbs, it will greatly overshadow anything Lowes, Home Depot.. etc has to offer.

Dealer said they sold it in 2015 to one of their long standing customer' who always trades the oldest of their ZT mowers at the 3-4 yr mark, and gets a new one from them. They know this cust. to be good about maintenance / repairs and use this dealership to get their parts.

I got 2 other tractors, Kubota MX5200 (purchased Dec 2019) and 1983 JD 318, and I've always done my own Car / Truck / Tractor / ATV repairs & maintenance, so Im not worried about the maintenance on a used ZT mower.
Just trying to make an educated decision as to-buy or not-to-buy,
about something I know little about... Yet.

Thanks again for all the feedback. This ZT326 is definitely hitting on all 3 cylinders with me. :)

Cheers,
Dk40