Tarter 6' Landscape Rake

Burgie

Equipment
Kubota B2601HST w/ FEL, 50" reverse tiller & 54" box scraper
Nov 23, 2015
Falcon, Colorado
Good evening,

Does anyone have the Tarter brand landscape rake? I am looking at a 72" model and wanted to get some feedback from an existing owner...

Thanks much...Burgie

bryanduke

May 4, 2016
US
I have a 6ft Howse brand. Works great. I think most landscape rakes are pretty similar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Good evening,

Does anyone have the Tarter brand landscape rake? I am looking at a 72" model and wanted to get some feedback from an existing owner...

Thanks much...Burgie

I agree with Bryan - most are designed the same. What are your plans with the rake? Rock/root removal? I found that it worked well pulling gravel back in line also. ;)

Will S

Equipment
Mowin' Machine w/Kubota engine
May 10, 2016
Southern N.E.
I bought a 6' Tarter from TSC about a month ago, and have used it a few times, to clean up a lot of tree branches and to rake about 1800 lbs of heavy marsh grasses. It worked very well, but I have the wheel kit on it.

BTW, I also bought the wheel from TSC, but later found the same one from an on-line vendor, for about $100 less.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I bought their 5 ft one but wish it were the 6ft model now. Combed the weeds and vines around our place extracting all kinds of trash and junk previous owners had tossed. Especially good in brambles.

Then when I used a middle buster in a small clearing and raised up a good number of roots I used it to gather them up. Spun around backwards it helped me in arranging my burn piles. Now I use it to maintain my driveway. I like it better than a blade and even sold my blade once I discovered this.

I really like mine.

Burgie

Equipment
Nov 23, 2015
Falcon, Colorado
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the feedback and inputs. So a few additional tidbits:

1. My use will be light duty consisting of raking old bark mulch, spreading and leveling fresh bark mulch, raking and leveling 3/4" stone for my driveway, de-thatching my field and raking my garden bed to remove small stones and leftover roots.

2. I know "most" rakes are the same and I'm sure most would be well suited to my tasks but I do like the dual channel beam construction versus a 90° angle iron system. For my light duty application I think it would be fine and it looks like tine replacement would be easier.

3. Question: The rakes at TSC look identical to the Tarter...is that because Tarter makes them for TSC?

Thanks again for the great feedback so far!!!

Will S

Equipment
Mowin' Machine w/Kubota engine
May 10, 2016
Southern N.E.
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the feedback and inputs. So a few additional tidbits:

1. My use will be light duty consisting of raking old bark mulch, spreading and leveling fresh bark mulch, raking and leveling 3/4" stone for my driveway, de-thatching my field and raking my garden bed to remove small stones and leftover roots.

2. I know "most" rakes are the same and I'm sure most would be well suited to my tasks but I do like the dual channel beam construction versus a 90° angle iron system. For my light duty application I think it would be fine and it looks like tine replacement would be easier.

3. Question: The rakes at TSC look identical to the Tarter...is that because Tarter makes them for TSC?

Thanks again for the great feedback so far!!!
Yes, that's seems to be the case. My TSC rake has a Tarter manufacturer's label & barcode on it.

Burgie

Equipment
Nov 23, 2015
Falcon, Colorado
Hello again,

Thanks for all the information and feedback; I appreciate the candid feedback. I think for my needs and light-duty usage I'll stick with the CountyLine (Tarter) available from my local TSC. I like the tubular construction, 90° corner reinforcements, heavy duty pivot and channel beam tine holder setup. Tarter is Made in USA which, being a patriotic US Navy veteran, really appeals to me as I am supporting our country and jobs within the USA.

I'll be making a purchase in a few weeks and will post some feedback after I use it a bit...

Thanks again for al the feedback...

Burgie

Attachments

HighSierra79

Equipment
B7100d, M6800 w/FEL, 7' mower, 7' box blade, 42" LP tiller, 5' rake
Sep 1, 2013
MO
Look on Craigslist. Unless I was going to use it all the time, there's no need to spend more than $250 on a rake. I picked up a lightly used KK XB 60" for $275, looked brand new, but guy swore he used it. Sure as heck beat $435 from TSC. I use it for my driveway, level truck patch, push big limbs, etc. Go for function, not brand or price. And remember, it's only shiny once.

Burgie

Equipment
Nov 23, 2015
Falcon, Colorado
HighSierra79,

I have been looking on CL for many months and they are rather sparse. On the rare occasion that I find one listed it is heralded as "used a few times" or "like new". Upon arriving at the seller's place I find a rusted bent broken down piece of crap that looks like it sat in a field for 20 years AND they seller wants a pretty penny for it. I am also limiting my search to a 2-hour radius from my home...

So question: Are the tines supposed to be loosely mounted on the holder or rigidly mounted? I was looking at the CountyLine and several tines were "loose". I suspect that the holder wasn't torqued sufficiently but figured I'd ask...

Thanks for all the continued support...

Burgie

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
HighSierra79,

I have been looking on CL for many months and they are rather sparse. On the rare occasion that I find one listed it is heralded as "used a few times" or "like new". Upon arriving at the seller's place I find a rusted bent broken down piece of crap that looks like it sat in a field for 20 years AND they seller wants a pretty penny for it. I am also limiting my search to a 2-hour radius from my home...

So question: Are the tines supposed to be loosely mounted on the holder or rigidly mounted? I was looking at the CountyLine and several tines were "loose". I suspect that the holder wasn't torqued sufficiently but figured I'd ask...

Burgie
Some models have the tines mounted so they are individually replaceable, and they should not be loose. I think the most valuable optional feature is the gage wheels. I have a light duty model and it is fine for raking pastures, mulch, preparing seed beds.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
I have a 60" rake from TSC I bought used from a guy. It's a year old, very robust and was half the price of new. Same with my dirt scoop - got it for half the price of a new one and it's only a year old too. Gotta love the CL.

Burgie

Equipment
Nov 23, 2015
Falcon, Colorado
Oh I love looking on Craigslist to save a few bucks and on some items used doesn't matter...such as in a landscape rake. But there are just none available and I have to balance distance and time with cost. I'll be needing it soon so a new one may be happening in the very near future. I don't fret about buying new; I know it will be well maintained and cared for and would be the last time I need to worry about it...

L.C. Gray

Equipment
L3400, RTV500
May 14, 2016
Stephenville, Texas
Bought a like new 6' landscape rake at an auction years ago thinking it was probably $200 wasted, but it turned out to be one of my best tools. I've used it for everything from spreading base, gravel and dirt to gathering rocks, to gathering downed limbs and cut brush and using it to manage burn piles. It's been a great tool and highly recommend one to everyone.

Burgie

Equipment
Nov 23, 2015
Falcon, Colorado
It's great to read that everyone who has purchased, either new or used, a landscape rake has put it to good use and are pleased with it!! Thanks for all the great feedback!!!

Burgie

Equipment
Nov 23, 2015
Falcon, Colorado
Well, I picked up the 5' CountyLine rake made by Tarter yesterday and I will be sure to add my feedback after I get some use out if it!!!

Showboat

May 23, 2020
Altoona, PA
Just purchased the tarter wheel kit from TSC. It came with a piece of square tube about 24 inches long and is not part of the wheel bracket assembly. Does anyone know what this piece is?

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Just purchased the tarter wheel kit from TSC. It came with a piece of square tube about 24 inches long and is not part of the wheel bracket assembly. Does anyone know what this piece is?
Parking stand?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH

Burgie
On the Land Pride they are all mounted rigid.

I use the rake all the time and weight and strength should be the primary concerns as far as how good a job it can do. Heavier is better.

I highly suggest the gauge wheels as it makes it a grading machine.

If you plan to use it a lot, I would also suggest adding a power angle to it.

Not all rakes are created equal. I literally wore out a rake (york brand) prior to getting the new tractor and new rake. No slam on York, it did miles and miles of work, I don't think many brands would hold up to the same abuse.

I look at all the TS "countryline" products as being a good economical choice for a homeowner or hobby farmer, but not to be used daily.

Greybeard

Equipment
L2501,
Apr 26, 2020
Forsyth, Ga
I have a 5 ft. Rake that I’ve been using for multiple jobs. Smoothing out the gravel part of the driveway, getting rocks out of the front ditch so I can smooth it out and plant grass and most of all to rake up all the 30yrs. Worth of old pine straw under the pines. I had to add a little weight but it works great.