B6100 not starting

ES6100

Equipment
B6100
May 25, 2020
CHESTERFIELD, UK
I recently bought a B6100D as a none runner. The previous owner had been running it with a rotten radiator which caused the engine to over heat and the head to crack. He had fitted a new radiator and filled it with water which had then leaked through the crack into the cylinders.

I have fitted a new cylinder head and head gasket. However, I cannot get the engine to start now. Even with plenty of heat and a booster pack on the battery the engine turns over and blows out a lot of smoke. It will fire once every now and then but that is it.

I am beginning to wonder if the injectors are damaged due to the cylinders filling with water when the head cracked.

Just seems strange how the engine ran fine till the head cracked and now with a new one it won't!

Has anyone else every had this? Be glad of any ideas as the tractor is one of the tidiest I have seen.

Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Have you individually measured the resistance of each glow plug which should be close to 1 ohm.

Verify that the GP's are powered both during the pre-heat phase and while cranking.

Valve clearances not set properly.

Bleeding of fuel injector system.

Low compression.

If cylinders filled with water and engine was cranked, all sorts of other possible problems from hydro lock such as bent connecting rods.

Dave

ES6100

Equipment
B6100
May 25, 2020
CHESTERFIELD, UK
Thanks Dave.

The glow plugs all measure 1.5 ohms - is this normal for these ones?

The do power up ok on preheat although they read a couple of volts less than the battery voltage.

Tappets have all been reset and fuel system bled up ok.

All the pistons seemed ok and came up flush with the top of the block when I turned the engine by hand.

Is it worth trying a sniff of Easy Start?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
ES6100, welcome to the forum. The only Easy Start should be to find the problem and fix it. Spraying either into an engine can cause more grief then you want to deal with.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
No quick start.

The Glow Plugs are fed through a GP indicator which you should seeing glowing as they heat during the pre heat cycle. The indicator drops the voltage down from 12 volts. As the key switch is turned to start, the GP's feed bypasses the glow inidcator and goes directly to the GP's. At this point system voltage is lower because of the draw of the starter motor so again the GP's see less than 12 volts.

Did you disconnect the GP's before measuring their resistance so as to get a value for each individually? Otherwise two could be non functioning and the value for one would seem to be the same for all three as tested

You have two approaches.

Have injectors tested and rebuilt/replaced.

When injectors are out do a compression test.

Was anything done to the engine that could have affected timing?

Dave

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I am beginning to wonder if the injectors are damaged due to the cylinders filling with water when the head cracked
If the cylinders were filled with water, there's a really good possibility the compression rings are rusted in the ring lands.... especially if it was left to sit that way. Surprised no rods are bent. Only way to find out for sure is doing a compression test.
Starting fluid, easy start, or ether is a sure way to break ring lands or bend rods

Good luck.

Last edited:

ES6100

Equipment
B6100
May 25, 2020
CHESTERFIELD, UK
Thanks for the feedback - I am ordering a compression test kit to check that. What sort of pressure should it normally run at?

Ed