L35 steering quit

Cambo

May 25, 2020
100 Mile House
First post ever, hope you guys can help with this!
So I was out using my mower behind the tractor when all of a sudden I lost all steering, and only steering. Still drives forward and back and loader still works too. Any ideas?
The only thing I can think of is maybe the orbit valve ?
I do not see any leaks or drips ....
Thanks in advance.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I believe there are 2 hydraulic pumps on the L35, one up front and the other behind the fuel filter. The second one runs the steering if memory serves me correctly.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Your loader backhoe is different from the tractor model using the same engine which is a L3410.

The hydraulic pump is much, much bigger @17 gpm.

On Messicks I only see one hydraulic pump.

I do not have sccess to WSM for a L35.

My comments cannot be guaranteed to be completely accurate as a result.

Looking at the parts illustration, there is a valve bolted to the hydraulic pump, which I suspect serves as a priority flow control to ensure the PS always has enough flow and pressure. This valve is almost $700 so not something to be replaced on a hunch.

Your steering controller includes a gerotor.

Read the description of the gerotor function in the attached material.

If the steering cylinder is OK then you should be able, using the gerotor, to effect steering.

I am inclined to suspect an internal failure in the power steering cylinder if the gerotor would turn the front wheels.

Further, disassembling the steering cylinder would be the lowest cost thing to check.

You could also loosen/disconnect the hoses from the steering cylinder and then see if the gerotor will push fluid out. If yes, then a brief crank of the engine again to see if fluid escapes.

Others with more personal knowledge of L35's may be more helpful.

Dave

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Since the tractor still moves that eliminates the pump, as that pump also runs the GST.

Did you loose complete steering ability or only the power portion of it?

Lift or jack the front wheels off the ground, and see if you still have steering?

If either is the case then you've damaged the steering cylinder, most likely an internal seal.

Does the steering wheel still have resistance?

If not then the coupling to the controller is damaged.

Cambo

May 25, 2020
100 Mile House
Thanks for the input guys!
To be clearer, the is ZERO steering, even with the wheels off the ground you can flop the tires side to side easily like nothing is attached!
Steering wheel has no resistance and spins round and round.
I do see that the steering cylinder is quite wet but I don’t see any fluid coming out when the engine is running. I also checked things like the shaft is spinning to the pump although having all other functions made that moot (sp? Lol)
So I am guessing there is a seal internal on the cylinder that would just allow fluid to circulate if it failed and still not show an external leak?
Thanks again, I knew I came to the right group ***128077;

Cambo

May 25, 2020
100 Mile House
Since the tractor still moves that eliminates the pump, as that pump also runs the GST.

Did you loose complete steering ability or only the power portion of it?

Lift or jack the front wheels off the ground, and see if you still have steering?

If either is the case then you've damaged the steering cylinder, most likely an internal seal.

Does the steering wheel still have resistance?

If not then the coupling to the controller is damaged.
When you say ***8220;coupling to the controller***8221; are you talking about the orbit valve?
I pulled the steering shaft , splines on it were dirty but not stripped, there is some fluid moving type noise when turning the wheel w/engine off.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
An internal seal or piston failure does not disclose itself as an external leak. Rather the cylinder just cannot develop any force to steer the tractor.

The coupling was suggested because, on some tractors, it requires greasing but is often overlooked. If yours was solid that issue is not a concern.

Dave

Cambo

May 25, 2020
100 Mile House
Not fun getting the cylinder out but managed it!
I could not get it apart so I drove 40 minutes to the hydraulic guys and he had a really hard t8me getting it apart too. Turns out the gland nut fell off but there was some kind of pieces of steel that was jammed at the cap and completely ruined the cylinder when it was unscrewed. My local dealer says the cylinder is no longer available, now what?
Things are scored and scratched way to bad to fix according to hydraulic mechanic.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
When you say cylinder are you talking about the cylinder itself (just a tube with hyd fittings) or the complete cylinder assembly?

Did a quick look on Messick's and it shows a listing with no indication it is no longer available. Perhaps it's worth giving them a call.

Good luck.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I see this cylinder on Messicks as a replacement for the original part number.

COMP. CYLINDER - replaces #32751-17210 YR273-00100 $988.33

Dave

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You’ll find one somewhere. But in the worst case scenario you can bore your’s out and have it sleeved and/or chromed back to size.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I tried uploading pics but all 3 said upload failed.....
I find posting the pics is very easy through the Tapatalk app. Pics would help with suggestions.

in the worst case scenario you can bore yours out and have it sleeved and/or chromed back to size.
Agreeing with George's thought process, first thing I thought of was brazing up the damage then boring or honing.

Last edited:

Cambo

May 25, 2020
100 Mile House
I took the cylinder to a repair shop, they said they could fix it but was still going to be very expensive so the decision was made to just buy a new cylinder and cut and modify it to work. All my factory fittings will be welded on the new cylinder as will the mounts so it will go in like it was meant to be there but will be imperial internal seals etc not metric.
Thanks for all the help guys!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
When you get done would you mind sharing your cost? Might help some when a similar problem shows up. I can not believe the price from Kubota.

Cambo

May 25, 2020
100 Mile House
I will for sure share my costs!
Kubota no longer has these steering cylinders, Messicks has one for $1000 USD, that’s just ridiculous!
I will probably be around $500 CAD when done, we will see.....