Box Blade size-B series

El Jefe

Equipment
B2401
May 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
I’m going to finance a box blade with the purchase of my new tractor (B2401) and I’m trying to decide on a 48 vs 54”. Advice has been to match the box with the bucket size (54”) but the tractor is only 44” wide with Ag tires. The choices are Land Pride BB1248 and BB1254. The weight difference between the two is only 9lbs and both have 4 shanks so I’m leaning towards the 48” since I’ll use it as ballast and it will more closely match the width of the tractor. If I weren’t financing it I would probably be looking for a heavier box blade but there don’t seem to be a lot of heavy options under 60” which is too big.

Primary uses will be doing some heavy grading in my yard. My soil is heavy clay and power/traction is also a concern with the larger box. What size box blade are you all using on your B series and anyone have any lessons that could help me decide? I know I’m over thinking this but I don’t want to have regrets.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I would probably go with the 48 inch as it is wider than your tires, which is the most important consideration I think.

Box blades can require a lot of pull, depending on what you are doing. Nothing more frustrating than to lose traction, and have to adjust what you are doing to compensate, which ends up meaning doing less in the same period of time, or doing less because you have to keep adjusting things because you are on the borderline.

I have a 60 inch on B2910 but think a 54 inch would have been a better choice, as my tire width is just under 54 inches.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The wider the blade, the easier it is to level wide areas. The narrower the blade, the better it digs. My two neighbors both have 60" box blades and do quite well leveling relatively flat areas & spreading gravel. But when they need a water course deepened or altered, or a ditch recut, they call me with my 42" box blade. Mine will cut banks and such where theirs tend to skate along on top, especially in our extremely hard ground.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYXcMN7tBjQ

I recommend a minimum of two rear remotes, top and tilt makes box blade really versatile. TnT cylinders can easily be added later if plumbing exists.
My B only has 1 rear remote because I didn't know about TnT.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Go for the 48” as a full bb will challenge your traction more than your hp.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
OP...why didn’t you buy a bigger tractor?:D

I am an hour from you and have a once used Land Pride BB and TNT set up that I have used exactly once. I got a back hoe for mine and never take it off...so the blade is sitting next to my shop...Orange too!

Mine is 60” wide...too big for yours...would have made you a great deal...

Oh well...

Good luck with your new rig...having a tractor is awesome...having toys for it is even better...

El Jefe

Equipment
B2401
May 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
So much helpful information. I was very close to going with the 54***8221; because of the dealer recommendation and ***8216;conventional wisdom***8217; against my instinct and concern for traction with such a small and light tractor. 6***8221; isn***8217;t a huge difference but my need is heavy cutting (landscaping), not making a large area flat and level or road maintenence so I need all the cutting ability I can get.

Tarmy, funny. I was at the dealer to buy an L2501. I like everything about the L2501 and I have some projects that would make the size and weight of the L very handy over the next year or so but the reality is that I only have a few acres to maintain and the majority of it is pretty hard to get around (narrow, trees, etc) with landscaping. The L is smaller than any tractor I***8217;ve owned and if felt like the perfect little tractor but with the loader I think it would be tricky to get around on my property when smaller options exist. Ultimately I decided the B would be a better size and the dealer said they could get me a B2401 (not interested in HST). SO, by funny, I mean PM me with what you have. It might be exactly what I***8217;m looking for.

All this being said, my purchase is based on my dealers ability to actually get this B2401 in the next couple weeks. If the B2401 doesn***8217;t arrive in a couple weeks the L2501 isn***8217;t off the table. The TNT wasn***8217;t on my radar. I was planning on installing a 3rd function valve and a rear remote for a top link but TNT never occurred to me. I***8217;m not maintain roads so this isn***8217;t hugely beneficial but it***8217;s hard not to want it!