Help Please: BX2360 v. 2660

Capital Kubota Guy

Lifetime Member
Apr 15, 2009
Potomac, MD
First of All - just wanted to say how helpful this site is in conducting research.

I'm going to acquire my first tractor in the next few weeks and would like some advice on BX2360 v. 2660.

The facts: 3 acres moderate slopes (<15 degrees) 2.5 acres are grass - will be doing significant mowing

significant loader use as well - gravel / dirt / mulch

extensive use of auger expected - putting in a new fence

Thoughts on the two options - do I need / can I use the extra HP?

also - liquid ballast v. ballast box - I am leaning toward the box so I can remove the weight during the mowing activity and reduce compaction on the soil.

Thanks for your consideration - and I'm thrilled that I am going orange!

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
I would say that you should go with the higher horse powered tractor for the use you described with using the loader as you described and the fact you will be mowing on a slope. The higher horse power is also handy for the post hole digger that you intend to use.

As for the ballast box vs the loaded tires I would go for both. The reasoning is on the slope you get the center of gravity as low as possible and if you are on turf tires vs the industrial tire the compaction of the soil is not going to matter as much.

I am of the opinion that compaction of the ground with a properly set up tractor with the loaded tires will not compact the soil and having the lower center of gravity will be very welcome on any slopes that you have to deal with.

By having the ballast box you can and will need it with the loader as you will be moving heavy materials and with the loaded tires the combination will keep all 4 wheels on the ground.

I have my tires loaded on my Kubota and use a ballast box when ever I use the loader and the same goes for my green and yellow tractor.

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
"I am leaning toward the box so I can remove the weight during the mowing activity and reduce compaction on the soil " I think from experience with loaded Vs air you are correct for more reasons than worries with the compaction issue you bring up. Your load moment and gradability physically are the gravitational factors you are dealing with when changing the center of gravity and load distrubution with a moving tractor. Ag engineers are schooled to design to static and test in the dynamic when dealing with kenetic energy needed to over come starting friction. At this point I may be loosing your interest but lets put these design criteria into understandable commonsense terms. Unloaded Bar tires (R1) will hold better on a slope at any center of gravity compared to loaded turf tires ( R3) because of gradability friction (static design) the flat less aggressive turf tires loaded will lower the center of gravity but will also spread the weight (psi ) thus reducing traction ( friction ) against the slope ( point loading ) so important to load moment stability. For this reason both theoretically and from experience ( actually sliding off steep slopes while pooping my pants :eek:) I recommend that if you are going to use turf tires, on a B or BX mowing on a slope, don't load the tires and actually lower the air pressure for better gradability on the fly (dynamic ) for traction ( friction) and stability ( load moment ). Remember this is free advice and refunds are subject to a hefty restocking fee based on the current engineering practice. Have fun, do what you want but be safe ;)

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Which tractor did you end up with........i like the 2660 better not only for the increased power but it sounds better AND has metal fenders! (hydraulics are slightly better too) considerally more money though!!
Ed Service

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I guess the hydraulics arent ant different between the 2360 and the 2660, I was thinking of the 23501
Ed Service
<

bradgrose6

Apr 2, 2012
Van Wert, Ohio
I am also in the same boat as you, 3 acres, etc., etc. but I am trying to decide between a BX 2660 or a John Deere 1026. I know this is a kubota site but can anyone help me decide between the two? I do like their drive over deck option though.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK from a BX guy,, 2360 and that little piggy will do anything I ask her,, they are from my understanding the same tractor just a bigger motor,, I got rid of my turffs and got the R4 bar tires filled them and I havent looked back. The BX is is good LITTLE tractor so use it as it was intended and you willbe fine. FEL will work grand and do a lot more than one might think for a small bucket. For the small home owner ( I have 5 1/2 here in SW PA all hill) and the BX will do anything far better than any other tractors I have ever had. So I wouldnt worry about compacting the ground, if you have hills and a FEL loader the turffs would go south and go with the R4 then fill them. This is ofcourse only MHO

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I am also in the same boat as you, 3 acres, etc., etc. but I am trying to decide between a BX 2660 or a John Deere 1026. I know this is a kubota site but can anyone help me decide between the two? I do like their drive over deck option though.
No doubt the John Deere 1026R is a really nice tractor. I like the easy attach deck, no exposed HST fan as well as the position control 3PH. It will cost more and I guess the question has to be are these worth the extra cost for your needs?

We love our BX2660, but if I was in the market now I would probably get a JD 1026R.