MX5200 HST recall

urd505

Dec 3, 2013
Hiddenite,nc
Just got my letter about loose bolt in transmission, any of you guys know how long/difficult process repair is? Will Kubota give you a tractor to use? thanks

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Far as I can ascertain, it involves a split as it's a internal transmission issue. Far as a loaner, that is up to your dealer, not Kubota. I have, in the past, gotten a loaner from my dealer but I farm with mine so I need a unit during the growing season. If it's an occasional use tractor, in a non critical application, probably not.

You need to contact your dealer because the recall involves more than one model so your dealer might be swamped and not be able to accommodate your unit immediately.

Why I have 2 now. If one is having an issue, I have another in the barn.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm sure as it progresses, either Lugbolt or Eserve will keep us updated as both are Kubota techs.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Just got my letter about loose bolt in transmission, any of you guys know how long/difficult process repair is? Will Kubota give you a tractor to use? thanks
It concerns a possibly incorrectly torqued bolt in the hydro. As of Friday, no other info has been released. If your dealer has a high enough certification, Kubota PROBABLY will provide a rental unit if available at no charge to you.

Last edited:

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I got the letter last Saturday as well for my 2019 L4060 HSTC.

I'm a small operator but I need the machine to work for me. I'm not going to be pleased handing in my tractor if they are going to have it for a month. My intention is probably to just keep using it for the season and turn it in this fall. Unless someone can show your life really is at stake...

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Is there a spot where you can check to see if your machine is affected by this recall?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not sure. I got on the Kubby website and checked the recall notices yesterday. Nothing posted.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Update - I spoke with the dealer this morning. It appears only certain serial numbers are affected, mostly new machines or nearly new. They claim the tractor will need to be split; cab removed. They said they are a bit blind sided by this and have not even been told by Kubota *what* needs to be repaired, or how. The service manager told me he believes it has something to do with the HST not "stopping" or behaving properly when the pedal is released.

He thinks the repair would take 2-3 days.

I'm not thrilled about such complete tear-down of an almost new tractor. The A/C would have to be evacuated; the coolant would have to be drained down in order to remove the cab. Sometimes when things are taken apart they never go back together quite as good again.

The only possible good thing is presumably the transmission fluid would be changed? I'd be pretty unhappy to have recycled fluid. HST requires absolute cleanliness.

A loaner may be available.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
HST's are a non starter for me anyway. Good luck.
HSTs are an overall excellent transmission, with unrivaled loader productivity. They do drain off a bit of horsepower but I've never used a more excellent transmission than Kubota HST Plus. HST Plus gives you the typical three mechanical gear ranges, plus Hydro Dual Speed which gives you an electronic range within a range, for a total of 6 forward and reverse. HDS can be set to shift automatically by the tractor ECU based upon load or manually by the user, on the fly, with a paddle lever. Finally, you can elect to use a linked throttle mode in which RPM increases automatically based upon depressing the HST pedal (great for transport or loader work), or non linked mode which allows the user to set the throttle manually to a constant and control ground speed only with the HST pedal. There is also a selectable Stall Guard function that will automatically reduce your speed if the PTO load (or HST pedal input) is so much that the engine could stall. Finally, there is fully electronic cruise control with bump up/down automatic speed changes.

They can be made durable enough for even large applications, but typically the largest of tractors will be doing tasks that don't require frequent changes of direction for max productivity and are better served by putting even more power down through gears and hydraulic clutches.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I got the same letter from Kubota on my L4701 HST. No recall # to reference or anything, just the serial # of my tractor and the phone # to call my dealer. Called my dealer and they said to let them make a few calls and they'd get back to me. They called me back and asked if I could send a scan of the letter to them. Apparently Kubota isn't communicating this very well to their dealers unless mine is special.

RoadmasterD

Equipment
L3560HSTC-LE
Jan 10, 2020
Oregon
I have an L3560HSTC-LE and I got my letter this weekend.

I called my dealer and the service tech said no word from Kubota on what to do about it. He told me that he heard a tractor malfunctioned and went into reverse as soon as the engine was started. That's just what was he said, no other verification.

I called Kubota customer service and all I got was a bunch of tripe about how this is a new development and that you need to stop using your tractor immediately until some unknown time in the future when they figure it out. My sense is that they are doing this for liability reasons and they are trying to figure out a way to address the issue without having to tear down 20,000 tractors.

All that being said, I love my little Kubota.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
My dealer called me back. Apparently they got the same letter I got just today. Said he talked to Kubota and they don't have parts yet. But that it would be another week or two before they have the parts. Not sure what parts are needed to tighten a bolt (new seals after tearing into it??)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have an L3560HSTC-LE and I got my letter this weekend.

I called my dealer and the service tech said no word from Kubota on what to do about it. He told me that he heard a tractor malfunctioned and went into reverse as soon as the engine was started. That's just what was he said, no other verification.

I called Kubota customer service and all I got was a bunch of tripe about how this is a new development and that you need to stop using your tractor immediately until some unknown time in the future when they figure it out. My sense is that they are doing this for liability reasons and they are trying to figure out a way to address the issue without having to tear down 20,000 tractors.

All that being said, I love my little Kubota.
If the failure mode can produce unintended movement a liability nightmare exists.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If the failure mode can produce unintended movement a liability nightmare exists.

SDT
\
Exactly. The stop using order negates their liability of something happens.

I seriously doubt there are 20,000 effected units out there. Maybe a couple thousand on the high end.

Called Keith this morning and asked him about if out of curiosity only. I asked how many he sold. He's a big volume dealer around here and he said 13. but not sure if all are impacted because Kubota is pretty vague about the numbers and models right now but it will involve a split and he has a couple 'loaners' in the same model range on the lot too. With Keith, a 'loaner' is a trade in that he will loan out short term.

Sure am glad I'm not making payments on one.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I believe the big issue will be turn around. Most dealers (at least around here) are multi line dealers and most if them (mine included) handle ag units and this is big crouch ag right now.

Would have been much better in the dead of winter than right now.

Knowing Kubota, I'm confident they will make the owners whole but in as much as very few of them are 'necessary for a living' tractors, I'm sure there will be scheduling issues and some unhappy customers as well.

Last edited:

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
\
Exactly. The stop using order negates their liability of something happens.

I seriously doubt there are 20,000 effected units out there. Maybe a couple thousand on the high end.

Called Keith this morning and asked him about if out of curiosity only. I asked how many he sold. He's a big volume dealer around here and he said 13. but not sure if all are impacted because Kubota is pretty vague about the numbers and models right now but it will involve a split and he has a couple 'loaners' in the same model range on the lot too. With Keith, a 'loaner' is a trade in that he will loan out short term.

Sure am glad I'm not making payments on one.
Our dealer said he had sold 12 affected units, so I am hoping our July 2019 delivered unit is not affected. The US HQ is just 50 miles from us so it seems like we would get the letter pretty quickly if it is coming to us

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Maybe I should hold my breath for the 2nd letter saying not to make any payments until it's fixed since I can't safely operate it..... :rolleyes: