Chip DPF Delete Discussion

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I wouldn't be in a big hurry to have this done just yet....before long there will be more people offering this service which will mean lower prices to have it done. As for me my L3560 is having no trouble with the burn and works great. As far as I'm concerned Kubota should step up and help people who are having trouble, after all people have payed good money to own a high end tractor and that's what they should get. JMHO of course.

Reactions: 1 user

DMM

Nov 12, 2016
Fauquire Va
I knew this was gonna happen. And actually a member here told me I was full of it... if I had the knowledge and software, I wouldve jumped on this long ago. Literally all of my diesel pickup owning friends have spent huge money to delete the emissions components that destroy those engines.

Theres no emission test for Inspection Stickers, so after warranty is up, bye bye DPF can!
Is there a delete kit out for the L3301/L3901? I'd be game! From what I have found the only difference between the L3301 and the L3901 is the programming, so in theory the delete kit would be able to bring the L3301 up to those levels at a minimum. You could save the $2k price difference at time of purchase and put that towards the delete kit instead.

Very interested in this!

Last edited:

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
Not sure on the L3301-3901 but the previous model L3200-3800 the 3200 had a smaller cubic inch displacement engine. The L2800 smaller than the L3400. The model I have is a L3700SU which is the same as the L3400 just has a little extra turn on the fuel screw. Also the same running gear as the L3800. L3800 has a new Sunday dress.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The L3301 has a different engine than an L3901.

The programming for HST is different than for gear drive tractors as well. And that is just the very start of the differences, that I know of. I'm sure there's more but I just don't know of them.

At one point when I was doing dealer work, the tuners were just becoming available for the bigger M's. We were advised to not work on them if they were modified. Same with the Yamaha Rhino's. If they were modified, we were not supposed to work on them per Yamaha. Wonder if Kubota will continue to use that policy with the L's? I'm outta the dealership stuff so I don't know for sure. Still have connections in the business though.

Last edited:

DocHolladay

Equipment
MX5200, FEL
Oct 19, 2015
Murfreesboro, TN
Re: DPF Issues?

that is the problem, the tractor has 33 hours and all ready has problems. i can burn a pile of brush every day but, i can't use my tractor for 20 minutes every 15 hours because of emissions crap. i don't want that crap fixed, i want it gone . i don't care about warranties, just get this stupid shiat off my tractor
Don't push any buttons. Just bump up the RPM until the light goes out and keep working until it goes off, lower your RPM's back down. Takes about 15 minutes with my tractor(MX5200). Most of the time when my regen light comes on, I am doing something that requires a higher RPM and don't have to do anything else but work. I have had to bump up the RPM's one time while I was cutting trees and using the tractor to lay the limbs and trunk on the ground. The first time I had to regen, it made me nervous on what to do. I just kept working and everything came out just fine.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Yes I think some people over-think the regeneration process. You don't have to do anything but raise the engine RPM when it wants it. That or just keep running it for a few hours with the light blinking and beeper making noise until you get to a DPF soot level 4 and 5, at which point you get to replace the DPF, or at the very least have it cleaned.

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
The L3301 has a different engine than an L3901.

The programming for HST is different than for gear drive tractors as well. And that is just the very start of the differences, that I know of. I'm sure there's more but I just don't know of them.

At one point when I was doing dealer work, the tuners were just becoming available for the bigger M's. We were advised to not work on them if they were modified. Same with the Yamaha Rhino's. If they were modified, we were not supposed to work on them per Yamaha. Wonder if Kubota will continue to use that policy with the L's? I'm outta the dealership stuff so I don't know for sure. Still have connections in the business though.

Can you elaborate on the differences between the 3301 and 3901 engines? From my searching they are exactly the same engine just with the 3301 detuned by 6hp.

The 2501 is a different engine.

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.

sorry about the rant, i have an f250 that's broken right now with emissions problems too.
A few DPF thoughts and things:
I have an MX 4800 with about 67 hours on it, I have had one regen around 47 hours or so.
I bought an F250 with 130,000 miles on it at an auction, codes were on it that the DEF heater was bad and the DPF was nearly plugged. I did a delete on it and the EGR. The info on the dash when I bought it said I the truck was averaging 15.2 mpg. I just drove it 3000 miles pulling a small (2000 lb) boat and trailer and the info says 18.4 mpg. Oil also stays clearer longer between changes, truck has more HP and runs great.
It is my understanding that during a regen the injectors fire again near the bottom of the stroke flooding diesel into the exhaust to create a hot fire in the exhaust to burn the soot. This also washes down the cylinders causing a bit more wear and putting diesel and soot in the crankcase.

When my tractor is out of warranty, I will be looking to delete this DPF. I seriously doubt my tractor will cause 1/1000000000 of the pollution Al Gore’s jet does.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The dpf "scare" is history. It in itself is NOT problematic and I honestly think that too many folks put too much emphasis on deleting them, at least on smaller tractors like the standard L-01 series. Having worked in the field on hunderds of L01's for various issues, I've had TWO that needed the DPF cleaned, and both were victims of ignoring the lights, beeper, and power reduction. Flat out ignoring them 100%. Everyone else I spoke to said that the system works good once you figure it out. Seamlessly is what most have said.

Removing it doesn't solve the expense of the high pressure common rail fuel system parts failure. It only makes the owner feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that he can now roll coal like an old tractor.

If you want the dependability and "cheap" maintenance of the old tractors, by all means buy an older one. I personally think that's going to be a better option.

And no mention of the legalities of removal and/or tampering with them in such a way that takes away from their original operation and the liability that an owner takes into their own hands. To each his own. I've seen what happened to a medium sized company who supported oil field work-they had a fleet of 11 (as I recall) Ford 6.4's and deleted every one of them for mileage and maintenance concerns. It took no time for the highway police to nail them on a separate incident (speeding), then report it to the EPA, then guess who comes in for a spot check?

My question is how do the people that make the delete kits for tractors get away with the liability and legal issues of disabling/removing the DPF? On road cars/trucks, they generally have "for off highway use only" as their way of releasing their liability. But that doesn't work for tractors obviously.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada

that is the problem, the tractor has 33 hours and all ready has problems. i can burn a pile of brush every day but, i can't use my tractor for 20 minutes every 15 hours because of emissions crap. i don't want that crap fixed, i want it gone . i don't care about warranties, just get this stupid shiat off my tractor[/QUOTE

There are places where you can't burn brush. Environmentalism is religion. It doesn't have to make sense. It just takes peoples money and uses it against those that work hard for their money.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I think emission control, dpf, egr, def fluid and all the other stuff is a bunch of crap.

One Dodge Caravan puts out more smoke than all the Kubotas on the planet. Leave or tractors alone.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I am also interested in the DPF removal when the time comes (warranty runs out)... I don't intend on having one of these rebuilt.

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
Some Saturn S Series came with pre catalytic converters,
a little coffee can sized object located in the exhaust manifold.

Clogged up regularly...

Break the insides up, vac them out, no harm to emissions...
Main cat was still in place

Bet we can do the same to the DPF, remove it, and spoof the air flow or pressure sensor if needed...
Tractor never goes into regen, because it never senses it needs to...

Fun thing is, 20% biodiesel would reduce emissions 50%, all this dpf and emissions stuff, 80%...

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA

i have a gmc duramax the extra crap is gone in 20 more months!

I have an LBZ with EFI Live - DO IT! You wont be sorry 100K miles since the efi live was added, I get 25 mpg if I drive 68MPH 22 if I drive like I usually do which may be about 10MPH faster than that :)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
and spoof the air flow or pressure sensor if needed...
Tractor never goes into regen, because it never senses it needs to...

Kubota's strategy....at least on the L01 series....prevents this from happening. I won't go into details, but if this is done, and I've tried it, it sets a code and the engine will not run properly. Derated to approx 50%. Besides, there is a time interval that the ECU expects to see a high pressure differential through the DOC and DPF, and if it doesn't see that in X amount of time (which I don't know what that interval is), it sets a code.

For you guys who claim better fuel mileage out of your trucks. How much does it cost you, total, to do the delete and tune? How much better MPG do you get? Trying to figure out your ROI, that's all. I figure after a hundred thousand miles or so, which is "roughly" 2200 hours, it might pay off. But on a tractor, 2200 hours is a long time, especially on a smaller tractor like an L3301, or even a little B3030. So in a case like that, what is the ROI? would you ever break even? Again I don't know...just throwing this out there for discussion purposes.

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
I'm confused about not being able to use the tractor for 20 min while regen. I just keep using it. I really don't notice anything except the louder noise from increased revs. Its not a big deal. And for those needing DPFs cleaned take it to a commercial truck center. They have kilns to bake out your DPF and its not outrageous. If you cant take your DPF out and get it somewhere then you have a different problem.
Other than anecdotal DPF issues and hatred for the system, does anyone have a tractor that the emissions controls caused a serious problem? Wondering because there's a lot of opinion but not a lot of evidence that the system has actually broke and caused larger failure.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
We have to have them because of all this global warming,dont you see,,,,, coff coff coff

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If the EPA really wanted to do something about pollution they would quit bothering farm tractors and turn their attention to a real problem. Something so sneaky it has been seen by all and looked over without a second thought. It's part of our everyday life and for reasons unknown we've dismissed it's danger to all of us.

The Dodge Caravan, killing mosquitoes since 1984. :D

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The Dodge Caravan, killing mosquitoes since 1984. :D
That's a mild one ;) Got stuck behind one the other day. You couldn't see the van the smoke was so thick and had some major hang time :rolleyes:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Actually hasn't totally been dismissed: I was pulled over by a state trooper in 2003 when my 79 F350 was smoking, no ticket, but suggested I do something about it. So I sold it to a guy who was going to restore it. Son of a Ford dealer so had access to parts. Then in 2009 there was the Cash for Clunkers program to get that kind of old car off the road, and I got a rebate for trading an old Cherokee for a Honda. And in some states vehicles have to pass emissions tests to get license plates.