Can a 16HP B7100 support a 72" Finish Mower

chetcromer

Equipment
1981 Kubota B7100 4WD
I have an early 80's manual transmission B7100. Great tractor, now that I've overhauled the steering box and everything between the flywheel and transmission!

I currently have a 60" woods finish mower and have had great luck with it. It came with the tractor, and seems to be the perfect fit, even though the owners manual says I shouldn't go over a 48" deck.

A friend GAVE me a 72" Land Pride finish mower. It needs a little work - probably tubes and/or tires and maybe blades and some belts, but it was in working condition when he set it outside the barn several years ago. I'll probably fix it up either way, because I think it's worth more if I go to sell it if it's in proper working order.

So the question is, could MY tractor operate this big of a mower? Not sure I want to go to that big as the 60" fits my yard pretty good, but an extra foot of mower has me at least thinking about it. The Land Pride manual says it only needs a 15-50hp engine, so I might be all good, just looking for some experience with this big of a deck and this "small" of a mower (although the B7100 is a beast!)

ck21084

Equipment
L3200-DT, LP 1672,B7100 enrossi 5ft finish mower, 7ft backblade, 20"subsoiler
Jul 6, 2013
United States
The 7100 I have is a great tractor. Much like your self I ran a 60" finish mower well. I did have a few issues with the power on tall grass and often had to slow down a lot to maintain engine speed. I would not think the 72" would be a good fit. My land pride 72 weighs 690lbs and I don't think the 7100 would lift the deck very well without losing turning abilities.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
PTO powered equipment is almost always based on PTO HP not engine HP.
The stock B7100 is only pushing 13HP on a good day, so you'll be pushing it past the limit. Way to hard on the tractor if you ask me.;)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I pull a 60" woods with mine, but I believe that a 72" would be too much. lifting and maneuvering is one issue, but I doubt it will effectively power it in anything but very light grass. I'd get the money out of it, too.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I tried already with my B6100 and my dads 72'' Woods, I could marginally lift it but surely was not safe. I could power it for all of 3 to 4 feet then it would kick the pto out of gear. I tired the pto in 2nd and no luck there either. I guess the centrifugal force at work from the blades is too much.

senecak19

Equipment
Dethatcher, Brush Forks, Land Plane
Jun 20, 2013
Western MA
I know a guy in Massachusetts looking for a 72" project mower.

<-------- this guy.

Unfortunately, there not as prevalent as they are in your area.

chetcromer

Equipment
1981 Kubota B7100 4WD
I know a guy in Massachusetts looking for a 72" project mower.
senecak19,

If you'd like to make me a fair offer and could arrange shipping, I'd be glad to think about sending it your way. I'm guessing shipping a 700 pound piece of equipment may far offset any semblance of a good deal I can make you, though... The money's going into my flat-bed trailer fund.

senecak19

Equipment
Dethatcher, Brush Forks, Land Plane
Jun 20, 2013
Western MA
I agree with ya. No matter how cheap I could ship it, it'd likely offset any savings. :-(. I guess I just have to be patient.