L3600 GST starting issue

borgunit

Equipment
L3600
Jan 12, 2011
Bluffton, OH, United States
Here's the issue. Working with my tractor and I jumped off, did some work off the tractor (had shut it off). I jumped back on after a few minutes, tried to start but would not turn over ( had my panel lights working fine), I checked my shifter to make sure it was in neutral, checked PTO was in off position, retried and the panel lights flickered while turning key. Tried a few more times and panel lights went dead. Now nothing. I can hear what sounds like a relay clicking. My first guess was starting switch ( it quit being able to shut tractor off for a year now, I just choke it till it shuts down). Fuses we're ok. Got the switch replaced but same issue. Battery showing 12.7 across the leads. I will put battery on charger tonight to check but any clues from someone? The lack of panel lights is puzzling to me.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I just choke it till it shuts down
There is no Choke on a diesel, if your pulling the lever on the right hand side, that's the manual fuel cut off. ;)

The normal reason that these quit stopping with the key is either a problem with the stop timer or a bad stop solenoid.

Your dash lights flickering and going out while trying to start it sounds like you have a bad ground connection, or a bad battery wire.

Check your PM's as I sent you a link to download the WSM for your tractor.

Last edited:

borgunit

Equipment
L3600
Jan 12, 2011
Thanks for your reply. My bad on reference to being the choke, my old school verbage. Thanks so much for your insights. I will follow through on your suggestions and report back.

Thanks

borgunit

Equipment
L3600
Jan 12, 2011
A quick update. Did not have too much time to look at it but I ran a few checks. The negative side of the battery had continuity from post to frame. The positive side had continuity from post to the starter. It looks like the wiring after those points may be compromised. I will go ahead and replace the negative cable in case it's connection still bad. Pretty rusted anyway. On to the next steps.