Battery life

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
BX2680 with FEL and 60" MMM, rear PTO snowblower, 4' box blade, pallet forks
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
You guys with battery tenders, is there a good/easy way to leave it attached similar to a block heater, so I can just plug in when parking the tractor? I don't see myself removing the battery/radiator cover every time to clip it on.

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
I am not sure what the other brands supply but the Battery Minders come with a short cable with loop connections on one end and a two prong SAE connector on the other that can be attached to the battery and plug into the charger cable. I attached mine to the battery and routed it such that it extends a couple of inches beyond the bottom lip of the hood. They also sell a plug that can be solidly attached in a hole so that you can attach the charger easily - I found that what I have setup works just fine.
https://smile.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-EZC-01-Universal-Flush-Mountable-Connector/dp/B01GVSY3CA/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=SAE+socket&qid=1575148911&sr=8-19

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I got 10 years out of the group 51R in my B3200. I judge a new battery by how heavy it is. The heavier the battery, the more lead plate size it has. I also try to buy the HIGHEST COLD cranking Amp battery. I found a 650 CCA, 51R, battery
from Carquest that has a 2 year free replacement. Engine spins faster.

Nursing a poor battery is hard on a starter and the Dynamo or Alternator.
Deltran Battery Tenders are one of the best I have used. I had a 6 volt Optima in a 1955 VW with a built 1700 cc engine I owned and kept a battery tender on it. I sold the car with the same battery and it was 15 years old.

Most important thing with storage batteries is to not let them discharge or sit dead. Yes you can bring them back, most of the times but they are never the same after.
Kind of reminds me of my ex wife.:eek:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The Deka battery in my BX22 lasted from 2004 till the fall of 2018, and I replaced it with a Interstate, which is holding up well. I use Genius charger on the individual batteries, and even with a batter tender on them, they can and do go bad sometimes. Some of my cars have dual batteries, so when I have a problem with one, I replace them in pairs. The battery in my Ford Explorer went bad within 6 months, and raised hell with the computer controls of the car.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
My tractor is a 2013 and still has original battery. Never used a tender on it. And it gets down to minus 40*C in the winter here.
I'm kinda thinking it can't last much longer now, LOL.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Every flooded cell (and AGM) battery has a finite life. That life depends on many use factors so every situation is different but be apprised that everyone will eventually fail.

Cold don't kill a battery (it does lessen the cranking amps available because it slows down the chemical reaction process which produces the electricity) but heat is the real enemy of battery failure. Heat and vibration.

The reason you notice battery failure in the winter more than in the summer is, it takes mire amperage to turn over a cold motor (with thicker engine oil) than a warm one, consequently, a failing battery (shorted plates or excessive sulphation) will show up in the winter. That and neglected connections (oxidized battery posts and clamps and corroded connections) will cause less starting amps to flow.

One reason why I like Deltran battery tenders. The provide a pulsed charge and microprocessor controlled charge rate. I keep all my idle batteries on them and my seasonal batteries are all wired in parallel to one tender and sitting in the shop. No point in buying multiple tenders when one will maintain multiple batteries.

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
In the overall scheme of things batteries are inexpensive.
If in doubt replace it and keep the old one for a spare.
Some say wait until it croaks but saying "OH MAN" when it fails is not what I want.
I never core a battery from any of my vehicles I keep it and core the oldest dead one.

Also buy the ones with the longest free replacement. Have saved a few bucks that way.
And as others have said the most CCA if in harsher climates.

Clean your terminals. Use a puller made for that.
My next cleaning I will be adding dielectric grease.
Just did that to the cars.

I was told this in high school too many years ago:
Things that help destroy batteries is rough terrain as it shakes the heck out of the plates and dislodges the material that makes the electricity.
Keep it tight in cradle.
Do not store spare ones on cement.
Keep them clean on top between the terminals.
Have your alternator belt properly adjusted.
Mine is 41 years old and I spray it with belt dressing each year.
Hope this helps
David

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
When I said I learned about not storing batteries on concrete it was 1958
So things have changed.
I have room on my work bench so I store them there.
More convenient as they are higher for me to maintain them.
Thanks for the input.
David

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Now that we have dissected that, is there anyone out there that uses a solar charger to maintain their battery and do they work?

I see HF has them but they aren't very big.

Is there a better alternative and where to get a good one.

Like to have one for my car and tractors.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Now that we have dissected that, is there anyone out there that uses a solar charger to maintain their battery and do they work?

I see HF has them but they aren't very big.

Is there a better alternative and where to get a good one.

Like to have one for my car and tractors.

I use a 30 watt solar panel and a battery tender solar controller.

It does exactly what a 110v tender does.

Its a perfect solution for tractor storage with no nearby electricity.

I posted a picture of it in another thread..... Somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Solar power has been uses in fence charger for a long time. Never had a problem with them not keeping the battery maintained.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Solar power has been uses in fence charger for a long time. Never had a problem with them not keeping the battery maintained.
Fence chargers are all Gel Cell batteries and draw very little current. Just don't ever pee on an electric fence....:)

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Still keep mine on a small sheet of plywood in the shop. I actually have 3 batteries stacked on top of each other, wired in parallel to one Battery Tender so they stay viable over the winter (go in lawn mowers and tiller).
If there is any acid for whatever reason on the outside of the battery the concrete will suffer more from the battery than the battery will from the concrete. I have a couple of square spots on my garage floor from batteries sitting there.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If there is any acid for whatever reason on the outside of the battery the concrete will suffer more from the battery than the battery will from the concrete. I have a couple of square spots on my garage floor from batteries sitting there.
Not only the concrete, my pants and shop towels too. Battery acid likes to digest cloth...

Just redid the battery tray on one of my M's this summer. It was getting consumed by battery acid. Seems as though even the new 'sealed' flooded cell batteries leak a bit.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Not only the concrete, my pants and shop towels too. Battery acid likes to digest cloth...

Just redid the battery tray on one of my M's this summer. It was getting consumed by battery acid. Seems as though even the new 'sealed' flooded cell batteries leak a bit.
There are likely other products similar to this one, but aircraft battery installations are most often installed inside aluminum boxes and are VERY susceptible to corrosion from battery acid, so they are usually painted with an acid-proof paint such as Randolph 345. It takes a day or two to dry but is then excellent, hard-finish, acid-proof coating. A quart will cover about twenty tractor battery storage areas: https://pilotshq.com/products/rando...MI9PuS3Nbl6QIVB7zACh0g7wcsEAQYAiABEgIlZ_D_BwE