Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Tires & Wheels

Tires & Wheels Discuss everything related to ag, turf or industrial tires, wheels, rims, ballast and chains right here.

Old 09-27-2019   #1
js5020
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX23S
Default Studded tires

I saw in another thread about using studs in the tires over chains. I have a BX23S and there doesn't seem to be enough room for chains without spacers. The R4s aren't as good as the R1s on the old machine I get a lot of side slide on the front and wheel spin depending on the consistency of the snow. Are studs a viable option? I have zero knowledge of these studs but curious how well they compare to chains?
js5020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2019   #2
Roadworthy
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L2501 HST
Default Re: Studded tires

Studs won't be much help in snow. Chains kind of press into snow to give more tread in the stuff. Studs help a bit on an ice surface as they will bit into it. If you can even come up with some kind of cable chain it would be more help than studs in snow.
Roadworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019   #3
RCW

Master Tech

Equipment: BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU

For what it's worth, I've put chains on my BX2360 since new without spacers.

It is snug in there, but keep them tight and it works.
RCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019   #4
Hue
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: Kubota L4060, box blade, stump bucket grapple, snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by js5020 View Post
I saw in another thread about using studs in the tires over chains. I have a BX23S and there doesn't seem to be enough room for chains without spacers. The R4s aren't as good as the R1s on the old machine I get a lot of side slide on the front and wheel spin depending on the consistency of the snow. Are studs a viable option? I have zero knowledge of these studs but curious how well they compare to chains?
Studded tires are awesome for ice! I haven't used chains on my 4060, but I have used them on a lawn tractor (with snowblower). I found chains give a rough ride and would slip on ice if you're pushing into heavy snow. Not sure the same would be true with a heavier machine. R4's work really well in deep snow, ice is the only issue.

The only problem with studs is that they will damage concrete, though I think chains could as well. I keep mine in all year, they do help with traction on rocks and wet logs.
Hue is offline   Reply With Quote