Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Tires & Wheels

Tires & Wheels Discuss everything related to ag, turf or industrial tires, wheels, rims, ballast and chains right here.

Old 08-28-2018   #1
Paluch1
1st Yr. Apprentice

Default Advice on Plowing Snow with Chains or 4x4

Greetings,
New to the forum and I am in need of some advice. I bought a BX1880 and plan on using all season. I was wondering what the best options for plowing snow are, keeping it in 4x4 or getting a set of chains for the back? I have turf tires and if chains are my best option which ones are the best to use with that tread.

Thanks in advance and sorry if the question sounds very novice but I figured everyone would know best here
Paluch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2018   #2
sheepfarmer

Equipment: L3560, John Deere Gator, Ingersoll mower, Ford 8N tractor that is a little young
Default Re: Advice on Plowing Snow with Chains or 4x4

Actually it is both and...

Turf tires are very good in the snow. 4wd is indispensible. You may not need rear chains. You can also consider chains on the front instead of the rear. Loaded rear tires are helpful.
Old 08-28-2018   #3
skeets
VIP Service Tech

Equipment: BX 2360

I would recommend filling the rear tires it might give you an extra 50 or 60 pounds I forget the tire size that always helps with traction,, yes like sheepfarmer said 4WD. And the main thing to remember is think your job through first,,, where are you going to push your snow to how big of a pile can you make and then go play. Chains maybe but I have heard so much about the turf tires being good in the snow, so that might be a wait and see thing
You will find out that you will spend more time on that little beast than you ever thought and you will wonder where the time went.
OH and dont forget to keep fresh fuel and treat it use your glow plugs for at least 15 seconds,, it will make starting the beast a lot easier when it get cold along the lake

Last edited by skeets; 08-28-2018 at 07:16 PM.
skeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018   #4
bearbait

Master Tech

Equipment: L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade

Very good advice so far but it would help to know what size driveway you have to clear, any hills you will have to overcome and if you have room to push the snow further back then the driveway your clearing. If you don't have much room to push it back a snowblower would be the answer.
bearbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018   #5
Paluch1
1st Yr. Apprentice

Thanks guys. My driveway is about 125 feet and I have plenty of room to put snow and dump it farther using my bucket. I really didn't want chains since my driveway is concrete but I had to use so be it. When you mean loaded rear tires I assume wheel weights? Tire size is 24x12.00 x 12NHS. If so where is a good place to get weights, I live in upstate NY so we can get blasted with snowClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3123.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	37800

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paluch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018   #6
skeets
VIP Service Tech

Equipment: BX 2360

Wheel weights are a bit hard to find for small wheels, around here anyway. I would suggest filling the rear tires, with something that does not freeze. A lot of guys use WWF its cheap and doesn't freeze some use beet juice a lot more money and is if I remember about 15% heavier than water or WWF . And no. filling the tires will not harm your grass when you mow, it will not put undue weight on any part of the machine.
It is not a hard thing to do ,you dont have to take the wheel off or anything, just a little bit of your time. If you go to the main page and scroll down the left side there is a ton of info you will find interesting, and there is an article on filling your tires. It does make a big difference on small tractors like ours.
OH and remember you have a SMALL tractor dont try to use her like a 988
skeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018   #7
JackJ
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX1870-1

You probably got this, but just in case you were thinking we're recommending hanging overweight wrestlers from your BX, WWF = windshield wiper fluid. The Beet Juice referenced is a product called Rim Guard. More expensive, but heavier, and harmless if it leaks. (Not that the WWF is that bad--it's the calcium chloride that will kill your grass, and potentially rust out your rims if it starts to leak.)

Physical wheel weights are, I believe, an option from Kubota for this tractor, but filling your tires is probably the way to go. Hasn't hurt my lawn at all.

My BX w/ turfs does very well in the snow, even on moderate slopes. But then I've not had to deal with anything more than 6 - 8" at a time. You're way out of my league when it comes to snow volume.

Last edited by JackJ; 08-29-2018 at 05:28 AM.
JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018   #8
Stmar
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B2650HSDC

Since you have a concrete driveway have you considered rubber tire chains? I put them on my R4s and did not have any problems last winter, I actually had some ATV chains that I could have used on the front but never had to. The link below is where I got mine, heavy duty. I got the idea from another forum member that used them on turf tires, they would work better on those than R4s because I have to work them around the grooves. Plus they are cheaper than steel chains. 4WD all winter, treat fuel a must, battery tender plugged in when not using, block heater makes starting so much easier.

http://www.rubbertirechains.com/
Stmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018   #9
fruitcakesa
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: M 6040

I have been plowing my steep gravel drive for the past 4 years in my L4630 with loaded R4's and full wrap lugged chains on the rear's and always in 4WD...I hate getting stuck.
This winter I will be using the M6040 with loaded R1 ag tires.
I have never run R1's before so I will likely put the chains on for safety sake
Old 08-29-2018   #10
Howling
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX2370

I have R4 tires with filled rears. My driveway is basically a sledding hill that ends in traffic.

Most of the time 4WD is plenty. Really needed the chains only once or twice in the past few years. Happen when raining, temperature drops and changes to snow. This creates a slick ice layer on the driveway under the snow.
Howling is offline   Reply With Quote