What's cookin' boys?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Brookies! Yum! Memories from my childhood.....
I ate a lot of brookies as a kid too.

We had a "crick" that ran through the farm; about 1/2 mile.

Sometimes I'd catch and eat within an hour.....good stuff!

Sleddog - - couple of them look pretty good size - - I think my biggest brookie was 15"...pretty big BT for our parts, most were 8-9".

I had a pond I fished years ago with stocked Rainbows. Not as good eating, but they ran 18" or so ~ 1.5 pounds and were SO good on a HOT grill with just some EVOO, garlic, and salt/pepper.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Our Son was in Natchez today so he brought us a dozen Hot Tamales from Fat Mama's. Of course Pat then cooked up a Pot-O-Grits so we had an unexpected treat for supper.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Short ribs with fried okra and mashed taters for dinner tonight :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Magic and Daren - that looks good!

I've never had hot tamales... well that kind.......[emoji41]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Magic and Daren - that looks good!

I've never had hot tamales... well that kind.......[emoji41]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
Never had tamales??? :eek: We had fajitas and tamales last night for dinner. Tamales covered with chilli and cheese.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
When you get very far removed from the South Mississippi River region, Hot Tamales are not as easily found.

There are many different versions of how Hot Tamales arrived in the Deep South and portions of all of the different versions are probably true. I was always told that Spanish (Mexican) cotton field workers brought the recipes when they migrated North to work in the cotton fields along the Mississippi River. When the American Civil War broke out, they high-tailed it back to Mexico but their Hot Tamale recipes remained. Today, all of the Mississippi River towns which include Natchez, Vicksburg, and Greenville, have Hot Tamale vendors.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
This is a web search of the origin of Hot Tamales in Mississippi:

The history of the hot tamale in the Mississippi Delta reaches back to at least the early twentieth century. Reverend Moses Mason, recording as Red Hot Ole Mose, cut “Molly Man” in 1928. Bluesman Robert Johnson recorded “They’re Red Hot” in 1936. How and when were hot tamales introduced to “the most southern place on earth”? There are as many answers to that question as there are tamale recipes. In restaurants, on street corners, and in kitchens throughout the Delta, this very old and time-consuming culinary tradition has remained, while much of the Delta has faded.
The Mississippi Delta is the flat alluvial plain that flanks the western part of the state. This leaf-shaped area is often referred to as the Yazoo-Mississippi Delta, for these two powerful rivers define its borders. David L. Cohn, author of God Shakes Creation (1935) and a Greenville native, devised a geo-cultural definition of the region. In his memoir, Where I was Born and Raised (1948), he wrote, “the Delta begins in the lobby of the Peabody Hotel in Memphis and ends on Catfish Row in Vicksburg.” Within these boundaries, hot tamales flourish.
Some hypothesize that tamales made their way to the Mississippi Delta in the early twentieth century when migrant laborers from Mexico arrived to work the cotton harvest. African Americans who labored alongside Mexican migrants recognized the basic tamale ingredients: corn meal and pork. Others maintain that the Delta history with tamales goes back to the U.S.-Mexican War one hundred years earlier, when U.S. soldiers traveled to Mexico and brought tamale recipes home with them. Others still argue that tamales date to the Mississippian culture of mound-building Native Americans.
Contemporary SFA oral history interviews with tamale makers and vendors reveal the various ways in which tamale recipes have been acquired and how they have changed. They underscore the endurance of this food in this region of the American South.
Tamale recipes vary from place to place, person to person. Pork is traditional. Some folks use beef, while others prefer turkey. Some boil their meat, while others simply brown it. Some people use masa, while most prefer the rough texture of corn meal. Most wrap in corn shucks, while a few have turned to parchment paper. Many season the meat and the meal, as well as the water used to simmer the rolled bundles. Some eat tamales straight out of the shuck, while others smother them in chili and cheese. Tamales from the Mississippi Delta are smaller than Latin-style tamales, are simmered instead of steamed, have a gritty texture from the use of corn meal instead of corn flour, have considerably more spice, and are usually served with juice that is the byproduct of simmering. Today, some cooks even fry their hot tamales. (In the Delta vernacular, the singular is, indeed, tamale, not the Spanish tamal.)
Within the Delta, the city of Greenville is a hotbed of hot tamales. In the early part of the twentieth century, river commerce drew many Sicilians to the area. It’s possible that migrant Mexican laborers who came through the Delta might have shared their tamale tradition with these Italian immigrants. Delta tamales may have developed from the African American dish called cush. Lumumba Ajanaku, a tamale vendor in Yazoo City, talks about cush in his interview: “Some say [hot tamales] come from an old word that we use called cush, you know. A lot of the Africans would just take meal and season the meal…because a lot of them didn’t have enough money to buy meat like they wanted, so they would take the meal and season the meal. And the meal would taste so good it tasted like meat was in it.”
Whatever their origins, hot tamales have been a staple of Delta communities for generations. Tamales proved a hearty food, easily transported warm to chilly cotton fields during the fall picking season. Once the cotton harvest was complete, African American vendors exploited streetcorner economic opportunities to sell bundles of tamales from pushcarts and stands. Today, African Americans are the primary keepers of Delta tamale-making tradition.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Nothing much, cheese and potato pirogi's with saluted onions and pock chops. Hard cooking for one

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Making burgoo for the first time. Smells good. Using rabbit venison and chicken.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Now I have to ask,,, are all these jokers that are hording the TP, hording all the freekin yeast too? :mad:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Now I have to ask,,, are all these jokers that are hording the TP, hording all the freekin yeast too? :mad:
We had yeast on the grocery list last week too - - NOTHING to be had...:eek:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Making burgoo for the first time. Smells good. Using rabbit venison and chicken.
I only heard about that - - never seen or had it.

Was it good? Good stuff in it, for sure! :)

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I only heard about that - - never seen or had it.

Was it good? Good stuff in it, for sure! :)
I like it. I used Hank Shaws Kentucky burgoo recipe as the basis. Squirrels would have been better than rabbits but I didn't have any. Should have used neck roast instead of round. Turned out good though.

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Good time to get some sourdough started.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Good time to get some sourdough started.
My poor starter, from my dad many years ago, has been languishing in the refrigerator unfed for about a year. Wonder if I can resurrect it? No yeast here, or bread flour, but I do like sourdough pancakes.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Beef tips and gravy for dinner tonight. :D

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Corned beef with boiled potatoes and carrots. The only cabbage I have is kraut.