Pto panel light on, pto is off.

Edsua

Equipment
Kubota L5030
Nov 16, 2019
Alabama
Good evening. I have very little experience with tractors and hope you guys can help me. My L5030 has the pto lamp on in the dash panel. Pto is Off on lever and rear axel. The intellipanel shows the rpm of the pto. I Asked the mechanic of the local dealer and advice me to change the pto switches. I did. Still no luck. Most important the tractor will not start unless I bypass straight from battery to starter. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If the light is lit the tractor is getting the signal from somewhere. Try looking for a broken wire or a poor connection - perhaps not well crimped at one of the plugs. It is also possible a rodent made a lunch of insulation.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It would help knowing more details on your tractor. There are a number of variants..... cab, no cab, manual transmission, Glide Shift....., optional mid pto.

I have attached a photo from the shop manual showing the pto switch. It appears to have two circuits but I have not studied the wiring diagram. One circuit is clearly for the starter safety, the second could be the dash light.

Checking its operation would be step one.

Daave

Attachments

Edsua

Equipment
Kubota L5030
Nov 16, 2019
Alabama
I have a 2003 L5030 hst no cab. I have trace all the pto cables with continuity and are all fine. I don’t see any cables eaten by rats. I found out today that there is no power from the opc to the starter relay. I also checked every safety switch and are all working. The reason that this issue stater was when I turn off the tractor with the pto on after finishing bushhog. I try to start the tractor again to move forward a bit and never did start. Let me know if you need more info. Thank you guys for advice

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Also when remove the starter relay the pto light goes off.
The relay just serves as a ground path for the pto safety feature so it tells us nothing.

Suggest you double check the connection into the intellipanel aka dash, also I think there are two 5 amp fuses associated with the OPC.

Dave

Attachments

Edsua

Equipment
Kubota L5030
Nov 16, 2019
Alabama
I do not have any connection from the timer relay to the starter relay. How do I test the timer relay to verify is working properly. It looks like it was replace before I purchase the tractor. Piece has less dust that the others.

Edsua

Equipment
Kubota L5030
Nov 16, 2019
Alabama
My fuse in the box below the steering are all good. Also in the box by the battery.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I have attached a page from the WSM showing how to test the OPC timer.

However, I do not think this is involved in your current problem.

The timer relay has more to do with the stopping of the engine when you stand from the seat with pto engaged or in gear.

The fact that you are showing a pto light on the dash must be the focus of your investigation.

Dave

Attachments

Edsua

Equipment
Kubota L5030
Nov 16, 2019
Alabama
Hello Dave. I just tested the swat switch and it works as it should. Tomorrow morning I will test the timer relay. Did not have the necessary items to make connection with the relay. Thank you for your help.

Edsua

Equipment
Kubota L5030
Nov 16, 2019
Alabama
I tested the timer relay and it works fine. The starting relay was bad and I went and purchased one from the local dealer. The problem remains. Don’t know what else to do. I have checked for broken/ loose wire and everything it’s fine. Now besides the pto light been on when I press the clutch the dash shows neutral and shuttle. Don’t know if that is the way it is supposed be. Also one of the wire from the starting relay goes to pto switch. It has continuity the other wire goes to timer relay. And the other two are the starting wires. No signal to starting motor becouse of the pto light been on. Any advice will be greatly appreciated