Operating Compact Tractors on Public Roads

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Can't speak specifically to your state, however, in most states, if it is a powered piece of equipment, it has to have a license plate attached to it to go over the road. I live in a rural area, so there are very few police that will give you a problem if you are clearing snow right after a storm. In good weather, they will tell you that you can't use it on the public roads without a plate attached. I asked my home owners insurance company if I am covered for liability insurance, and was told that it is only covered while on my property.
I am assuming that you intend to be charging for cleaning driveways, and in most states, that is considered a commercial operation, even though you don't think of it being a commercial endeavor. In this case, you should have liability insurance, and heaven forbid you get involved in any type of motor vehicle accident, because if it isn't licensed and insured, you will be ticketed and it will effect your driving privileges. You could be cited for driving an unregistered and uninsured motor vehicle on the public ways. Even if you are not at fault, the penalty can be severe. You might be better off putting the tractor on a trailer, and bringing it to where ever you plan on doing the work. You are a lot less likely to run afoul of the local police. You would still need liability insurance in the event that you damaged something on the property that you are working, or be able to bear the burden of paying for it out of pocket.
Now, this might not be the answer that you were looking for, and many others have probably used their machines on the public roadways, and never had a problem. It all depends on who you run afoul of that will determine if they tell you not to do it again, or they put you in the back of the police car, and have a flat bed take your tractor away. It is a gamble that only you can decide to take or not.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
By all means check the laws in your state. I live in Washington and your vehicle must be titled to be licensed. Washington doesn't title tractors therefore you CAN'T license a tractor. You put on the triangle slow moving vehicle thing and go. I never thought about liability insurance away from home. Rusty makes some excellent points.

Zaicran

Equipment
B2650, 72" MMM, LA534+QA, RCR1260
Oct 8, 2019
Morganza, MD
Check the laws in your state and county. I live in a rural area...I see tractors on the road all the time but only on secondary roads. Lot of farms around me. Our roads have the little yellow tractor warning signs posted (along with the buggy warning signs). It's legal here..with certain restrictions.

Absolutely look up the laws...it varies by state and even by county.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
https://web.extension.illinois.edu/agsafety/factsheets/smfmpr.cfm
This article implies that in Illinois tractors and farm machinery require white lights up front, red to the rear, and flashing amber with an SMV triangle. It does not mention registration or plates, which would be the same requirements that the state of Maryland requires, and likely many others.

There are numerous threads here that discuss operating tractors on the road. I frequently run my tractor on secondary roads, but I would not consider using a sidewalk. That (IMHO) would definitely be a bad idea, and would attract LEO attention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
As mentioned, each state may have its own laws. There's probably even some Fed reg that applies. When I was doing nearby neighbors I wasn't concerned. My L4240 has lights, turn signals, 4-ways, SMV triangle and roof-mounted flashers. I live outside of town and it's common to see tractors running around without half the safety equipment I have.

Several years ago I started doing the parking lots at our church. Since it is about 1-1/2 miles away and in town, I did some checking on insurance.

My (then) provider couldn't get me coverage for equipment or liability off-property, and told me to shop for a separate policy.

I did. Another provider was able to get me $1M liability, equipment coverage anywhere on both tractors, home and auto for a few bucks less.

I work for free. If I received payment, it would throw me into a commercial operation and be a whole different game.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
https://www.ilfb.org/media/3218/mvr_2018-07.pdf

Go to page 31 of the above linked PDF and talks about Illinois rules of the road. This document was put together by the Illinois Farm Bureau to help farmers to try to makes some sense out of Illinois laws.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
All I can offer to this thread is be careful. Everyones in a hurry, some people will go out of their way to give you lots of room while passing yet the spiteful road ragers will come as close as possible to you as if to say get off the ------- road! Ive almost been killed on my road plowing and the speed limit is only 25 MPH!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
In illinois you are required to have working lights, a SMV sign and a yellow flashing strobe on the roof.

All good things to do! ;)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:
...There should be........

SHOULD doesn't mean MUST ! It's just a 'iddy be nice' comment.....not legally binding, at least not north of the 49th.

up here as long as I have an SMV on any trailer, tow less than 40KM ( 24MPH) I can go anywhere except 400 series highways , which have an unmarked minimum speed( buried in the lawbooks....)
wherever you are , get a hardcopy of the LOCAL laws, keep on your ride..just in case.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
In Illinois, it depends on what year your tractor was manufactured. Tractors made before January 1st of 2003 have one set of requirements:

Lights
Lights are required on implements of husbandry when on
the road between sunset and sunrise. [12-205]
On older equipment, they must include:
-At least two white headlights on the towing unit [12- 205.1]
-Two red tail lights (may not flash except as turn signal) [12-205]
-At least one oscillating, rotating or flashing amber light visible to the rear, mounted as high as practical. [12-205.1] & [12-215(b)11]

Tractors on or after January 1st of 2003:

Two flashing amber lights and two white headlights must be visible to the front.

Two flashing amber lights, two red taillights and two red reflectors must be visible to the rear. Must also be placed on the trailing implement if it obscures the lights on the tractor.

SMV Emblem

The slow moving vehicle (SMV) emblem is required to be
displayed on implements of husbandry any time they are
on a public road—day or night. It must be mounted at or
near the center of the rear of the implement and must
be no less than 4 feet nor more than 10 feet from its
bottom edge to the road’s surface. SMV emblems may
be used only on implements of husbandry, animal drawn
vehicles, and special mobile equipment. Any other use
is illegal and subject to a fine.

Conspicuity
This reflective marking is included in ASABE standards
and applies to newer farm equipment. It is the slow
moving vehicle equivalent of the night-time red and
white reflective markings seen on large trucks. There is
one major difference.
Conspicuity markings on farm equipment consists of al-
ternating retro-reflective red and fluorescent orange
horizontal bars across the rear of the implement. Each
is 2 inches by 9 inches. (Do not use red and white—
that’s for high speed vehicles.)
The marking may have gaps of up to 6 feet and should
extend to within 16 inches of the left and right extremi-
ties. The SMV emblem may be counted as part of the
conspicuity marking.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
https://web.extension.illinois.edu/agsafety/factsheets/smfmpr.cfm
This article implies that in Illinois tractors and farm machinery require white lights up front, red to the rear, and flashing amber with an SMV triangle. It does not mention registration or plates, which would be the same requirements that the state of Maryland requires, and likely many others.

There are numerous threads here that discuss operating tractors on the road. I frequently run my tractor on secondary roads, but I would not consider using a sidewalk. That (IMHO) would definitely be a bad idea, and would attract LEO attention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I believe this too be true and its what I do. I've also seen many large farm tractors doing the same in my area. I turn on my hazards and make sure the triangle is in place, sometimes I take it off while using certain implements, when I drive on the road to get fuel.

Next time I run into him Ill ask my neighbor, He is a state trooper.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I think the idea of asking a trooper or officer is not the best idea. They always seem to be mixed up on what the actual law is. 5 cops will give you 5 different answers.
That's a fact. I had a trooper pull me over in my F350 and try to tell me I had to have CDL's to drive it and threatened me with a commercial ticket. I was polite but argued the fact that it didn't require CDL's and on top of that it was a farm vehicle on farm business. He was completely wrong but not much you can do when they want to write you up.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Bmyers, I'm thinking your answer is probably the most correct one so far. Can you cite the source? I like the idea of having a printed copy of the law on the tractor somewhere.

I think the idea of asking a trooper or officer is not the best idea. They always seem to be mixed up on what the actual law is. 5 cops will give you 5 different answers.
Yes, look at post #8, you will find a link to the PDF put out by the Illinois Farm Bureau to help farmers understand all the laws. IF i remember correctly, page 31 is where the tractor laws are listed with the reference to the laws. In addition, the first part of the book deals with requirements for farm vehicles and what license you must have. In addition, the PDF covers when a tractor is pulling equipment. The PDF was published in 2018, so it is a year old, but looking, I haven't found that any of the laws have change except that the price of license plates have all increased.

Printing out a copy and having it with you is a nice reference tool. Talking with local officers, most of them aren't up on the laws for farm equipment, they look for flashing lights and the SMV sign. Generally they see that and you are good. I asked one of the officers that I shoot with if he knew there was a difference in the laws based on the year of tractor, he didn't realize that. Hopefully the reference material will be helpful for you.

Note: I went to the Illinois Farm Bureau website and they have a 2019 version released: https://www.ilfb.org/media/4314/otr-book-january-2019.pdf

If you want just the tractor info: https://www.ilfb.org/media/4330/14-implements-of-husbandry_2015-02.pdf

If you would like all the transportation info that the ILFB provides, here is a link to the page with all the info: https://www.ilfb.org/resources/transportation-resources/

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:
... 5 cops will give you 5 different answers.

and the JUDGE will tell you the 6th, CORRECT answer.......

BTW I challenge anyone to find laws regarding 'small, utility/boat trailer' requirements in Ontario. Simple things like 'Are trailer tires(ST) required by LAW ?' I asked MTO here and his 1st comment was 'I hope not, my trailer doesn't have them' !!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Yes, look at post #8, you will find a link to the PDF put out by the Illinois Farm Bureau to help farmers understand all the laws. IF i remember correctly, page 31 is where the tractor laws are listed with the reference to the laws. In addition, the first part of the book deals with requirements for farm vehicles and what license you must have. In addition, the PDF covers when a tractor is pulling equipment. The PDF was published in 2018, so it is a year old, but looking, I haven't found that any of the laws have change except that the price of license plates have all increased.

Printing out a copy and having it with you is a nice reference tool. Talking with local officers, most of them aren't up on the laws for farm equipment, they look for flashing lights and the SMV sign. Generally they see that and you are good. I asked one of the officers that I shoot with if he knew there was a difference in the laws based on the year of tractor, he didn't realize that. Hopefully the reference material will be helpful for you.

Note: I went to the Illinois Farm Bureau website and they have a 2019 version released: https://www.ilfb.org/media/4314/otr-book-january-2019.pdf

If you want just the tractor info: https://www.ilfb.org/media/4330/14-implements-of-husbandry_2015-02.pdf

If you would like all the transportation info that the ILFB provides, here is a link to the page with all the info: https://www.ilfb.org/resources/transportation-resources/
One thing that is not spelled out is how these laws apply to a home owner or landscape business. They talk about implements of husbandry AKA farming. So applying these rules to personal use or landscaping may or may not apply.